The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SummerRain92
So if I attend St. Andrews I will be around quite a lot of Americans...

Can I just ask what type of people attend the university? I don't exactly want to stereotype them or anything but if everyone seems to be stuck up and such then that is not the sort of environment I think I will be happy in.

There are Americans around, but it doesn't mean you're surrounded by them. Yeah, there's quite a lot in particular lectures but you don't need to associate with them if you don't want to (although I don't know why you would want to ignore all Americans when you don't know the individuals :tongue:).

All types of people attend the university. Yes, it's sort of stereotyped to be very posh and have all these stuck up people attend when in reality yes, you do have some people like this but the majority are nothing like this. You can associate with people from all backgrounds, whether that's where they come from or social class or whatever, it's very mixed :smile:
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 5421
Original post by Daniel-Ballingall
I rarely don't hear any on the way to class/tesco :tongue:. You're not going to be flooded by Americans though.. they're just a fair few around :wink:

The University is very international University. Only a third of students are Scottish. So students come from a wide range of backgrounds. St Andrews students tend to be labled as posh and snobby but tbh most of them aren't :tongue:

And St Andrews don't interview people or anything.. so it's not like they can pick and choose what kind of person they want? (If that's fair to say/makes any sense? :tongue:)

Yea they are stereotyped as being posh but everyone I've talked to who's applied there seems really nice and down to earth!
St Andys interview medics ... that's why we're the best :smile:
Reply 5422
Hello :smile:

I got an offer to read Classics last week, and I was wondering whether there are any current classicists around?

Happy about answers :smile:
Hi just wondering if anyone know where room 50 in united college is, or even where united college is because I have a tutorial there tommorow and I have no idea where it is
Original post by lillyann92
Hi just wondering if anyone know where room 50 in united college is, or even where united college is because I have a tutorial there tommorow and I have no idea where it is

I'm thinking it will be in St Sally's quad somewhere... but I'm not sure :tongue:
Reply 5425
I'm thinking it will be in St Sally's quad somewhere... but I'm not sure :tongue:

yep the united college = sallies quad, but I don't know my way around it..
Reply 5426
Yoooo.

Finally I've found a place where I could ask something.

I want to become a Physiotherapist, I've understood that this University can only offer a single Medicine course.
Why ? :frown:

It's like the Number 3 University in UK.

It takes 3 years to get BSc (Medicine). Hmm, no qualification? Only Medicine?
What does that Bachelor qualify you for?

OR does it mean I finish my studies at St. Andrews, I recieve a BSc Medicine (3 years) and continue my studies elsewhere (1 year) and I recieve the qualification for a Physiotherapist?

Please answer this. This University looks like a dream. It's freakin' awesome, I've read the reviews, I've looked at the pictures, rankings. It's awesome.
It's like Hogwarts with drunk people, awesome clubs (MMA and Shotokan Karate ftw) and awesome study quality.
Reply 5427
Original post by Vedzitux
Yoooo.

I want to become a Physiotherapist, I've understood that this University can only offer a single Medicine course.

OR does it mean I finish my studies at St. Andrews, I recieve a BSc Medicine (3 years) and continue my studies elsewhere (1 year) and I recieve the qualification for a Physiotherapist?

Please answer this. This University looks like a dream. It's freakin' awesome, I've read the reviews, I've looked at the pictures, rankings. It's awesome.
It's like Hogwarts with drunk people, awesome clubs (MMA and Shotokan Karate ftw) and awesome study quality.

To be a doctor (I don't know if that's the same as Physiotherapist), you do 3 years study at St Andrews and then 3 years somewhere else, usually at Manchester or Edinburgh. We don't have a big enough hospital here to support doctors doing the full 6 years here :frown: But it is still an awesome course, 3 years here and 3 elsewhere. We have brand new medical facilities etc, you should search for them online, they're amazinggg (they're joined to the physics building (I study physics) via some sky-bridge thing, I'm too scared to go in but I've looked across, it is so futuristic in there!)

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful to your specific question, if you have any others I'll try to help though :smile:
Yoooo.

I want to become a Physiotherapist, I've understood that this University can only offer a single Medicine
course.

I think the bsc medicine programme's for becoming a doctor. :tongue: and you transfer to a different University after 3rd year to do another 3 years.
The course ^is really competitive to get into, surely there's an easier way to be a physio? :tongue: and it'd be quite pointless studying to be a doctor for 3 years, learning stuff you don't need to when you're not going to need it :tongue:. Just a thought. Shame st Andrews doesn't offer any other health-care programmes.

Original post by M_E_X
To be a doctor (I don't know if that's the same as Physiotherapist), you do 3 years study at St Andrews and then 3 years somewhere else, usually at Manchester or Edinburgh. We don't have a big enough hospital here to support doctors doing the full 6 years here :frown: But it is still an awesome course, 3 years here and 3 elsewhere. We have brand new medical facilities etc, you should search for them online, they're amazinggg (they're joined to the physics building (I study physics) via some sky-bridge thing, I'm too scared to go in but I've looked across, it is so futuristic in there!)

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful to your specific question, if you have any others I'll try to help though :smile:

You should go through the tunnel! It takes you to "the wedge" :wink:
Reply 5429

What's the wedge? :redface: Are you a current student here?
Original post by M_E_X
What's the wedge? :redface: Are you a current student here?

Yeah I study biology. :smile:
It's what they call the computer area.. I don't know why though :tongue:
I was just wondering, whats the food like at catered accomodation generally speaking? I'm just sort of debating at the moment whether to go for catered or self-catered. I mean at the moment I'm thinking catered purely because it means while I settle in in the first year I won't have to worry about buying food.
Reply 5432
I think the bsc medicine programme's for becoming a doctor. :tongue: and you transfer to a different University after 3rd year to do another 3 years.
The course ^is really competitive to get into, surely there's an easier way to be a physio? :tongue: and it'd be quite pointless studying to be a doctor for 3 years, learning stuff you don't need to when you're not going to need it :tongue:. Just a thought. Shame st Andrews doesn't offer any other health-care programmes.

Yo ,D.

But what is a Doctor ? A Doctor can be a
* Physician, a medical doctor
* Pharmacist, a pharmacy doctor
* Dentist, a dental doctor
* Optometrist, an optometric doctor
* Physical therapist, a physical therapy doctor
* Podiatrist, a podiatric doctor
* Psychologist, a psychological doctor
* Chiropractor, a chiropractic doctor

etc; etc.

And I've heard after you recieve a BSc you just need two more years for a Physiotherapist qualification.

Correct me If I'm wrong.

Original post by M_E_X

YEAH ,DOG, YEAAAH.

If that's true Ima study Biology and Chemistry haaard.

(I'm currently at the 10th grade)

Bro, when I get a AAA out of egzams, I will so run naked in the streets from happiness.
(edited 13 years ago)
Yo ,D.

etc; etc.

And I've heard after you recieve a BSc you just need two more years for a Physiotherapist qualification.

Correct me If I'm wrong.

But the thing is that the medicine degree at St Andrews sets you up to become a practising physician. And yes, although those things are all "doctors", they aren't. Certainly, from what I know psychologists aren't doctors in that they can't prescribe drugs.

:erm:

Which would make medicine very hard to get into if you plan to only do the 3 years (I don't even know if you can do that)...........

I dunno...
Yo ,D.

etc; etc.

Correct me If I'm wrong.

YEAH ,DOG, YEAAAH.

Hey... dog?
Yeah it's pretty much what spacepirate James said. You'd be learning how'd to be a physician.. You'd be going on placements to learn how to be a good physician and stuff..
You can study optometry, pharmacy, physiotherapy, dentistry as separate subjects at university... Surely it'd be better to do that? I doubt the 3 year medicine course will provide everyone to be able to join in 3rd year of any health-care course :tongue:.
Besides, it's not fair taking a valuable space away from someone by someone who doesn't even want to be a physician :tongue:
Reply 5435
Yoooo.

Doing the medical course wouldn't really be ideal if you want to become a physiotherapist because a question that often comes up at med interviews is why not become a physiotherapist or a nurse etc etc instead of a doctor.
The medicine programme is to set you up to become a doctor and I don't think you would really stand a chance getting in if you don't actually want to be a doctor, you better off doing the course actually designed to produce physiotherapists or do another basic science degree.
Reply 5436
Original post by ryan118244
Doing the medical course wouldn't really be ideal if you want to become a physiotherapist because a question that often comes up at med interviews is why not become a physiotherapist or a nurse etc etc instead of a doctor.
The medicine programme is to set you up to become a doctor and I don't think you would really stand a chance getting in if you don't actually want to be a doctor, you better off doing the course actually designed to produce physiotherapists or do another basic science degree.

I don't actually want to be a doctor...
Reply 5437
Yo ,D.

etc; etc.

Correct me If I'm wrong.

YEAH ,DOG, YEAAAH.

If that's true Ima study Biology and Chemistry haaard.

(I'm currently at the 10th grade)

Bro, when I get a AAA out of egzams, I will so run naked in the streets from happiness.

no.. a 'doctor' - or someone holding the MBChB degree can become either a surgeon or a physician - there is no such thing as 'a parmacy docotr' or a 'podiatric' doctor - nonsense.. those are all 'subjects allied to medicine', but are seperate courses.

The BSc is somewhat irrelevant, it's not really a BSc in anything since the course is so broad, it wouldn't qualify you for anything except further study (or graduate recriutment stuff) - it seems like you have a very poor notion of what a 'doctor' is, so you currently have no chance of getting in.
Hi,

Im in year 11, wanting to study medicine at Newcastle after my a levels.

However, I am stumped on what A levels to take, can you guys help?

I am definitely taking Chemistry & Biology, im just stuck as to what to take for my 3rd/4th

I have been offered to do Sports Science BTEC, which takes up 2 so that would be my 3rd and 4th, and It is worth 3 A levels altogether, because of an independent unit done at home.

So i was wondering if i should take it or not? :/

I know the amount of A levels does not matter, however, I am worried that i will not get the grades I want if i pick something like Maths/Physics as my 3rd and 4th or just 3rd ://// PLEASE HELP haha
Reply 5439
Original post by lsaul95
Hi,

Im in year 11, wanting to study medicine at Newcastle after my a levels.

However, I am stumped on what A levels to take, can you guys help?

I am definitely taking Chemistry & Biology, im just stuck as to what to take for my 3rd/4th

I have been offered to do Sports Science BTEC, which takes up 2 so that would be my 3rd and 4th, and It is worth 3 A levels altogether, because of an independent unit done at home.

So i was wondering if i should take it or not? :/

I know the amount of A levels does not matter, however, I am worried that i will not get the grades I want if i pick something like Maths/Physics as my 3rd and 4th or just 3rd ://// PLEASE HELP haha

Would you not be better posting this in the medicine forum or the Newcastle forum. I don't really understand why you posted this here...

Latest

Trending

Trending