The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3920
Original post by Troubled_Student

Still you won, however the Nou Camp won't be a good trip, I'm sure you all remember last year :/ Will be a good second leg.

When we score first in the Nou camp again, there'll be no mercy this time round. We're ready to take on Barca at their own game.
Reply 3921
Jack Wilshere - what an unbelievable talent.

Koschienly played really well tonight as well - so hard not to get carried away!
Original post by Troubled_Student
Not an Arsenal or a Barca fan but - Well done Arsenal, kind of lucky to be honest however. If Messi was taking his chances it could've easily been 3-1 by about the 60th minute.

However that Fabregas literally did nothing all game minus that one pass, Wilshere played much better than him. You again got taught how to pass a ball by Barca too, you were stringing together about 4 passes then giving it straight back to them, and then Barca would keep the ball for a ridiculous amount of time.

Still you won, however the Nou Camp won't be a good trip, I'm sure you all remember last year :/ Will be a good second leg.

Lucky to only concede 1 in the first half but we played well enough in the second with little from them. Fabregas didn't do much but this proves how much we've improved last year without him on form, our team was completely lacking.
We kept the ball pretty well tbh despite their pressing idk how you can say we had about 4 passes :confused:

Last season we deserved to lose about 6-0 the first leg and our team going there was shocking. It's still VERY hard to go through, Barca are still favourites but then again, they were favourites for this leg...
You were unlucky that Van Persie has banged in nigh on every chance he's got for the last few months yet today he missed a lot before he got his goal.

Edit: Just realised Messi did the same :lol:
Original post by marcusmerehay
The reason for that is probably that most teams do just park the bus against them. :dontknow:

Parking the bus or not, an away record like that is not good enough for a team of their calibre. They have enough creativity there to unlock defences.
The important thing is that, unlike last year, we have something to hold onto going into the match. We've shown them beatable. That belief is priceless.
Original post by Jeppasloth
You were unlucky that Van Persie has banged in nigh on every chance he's got for the last few months yet today he missed a lot before he got his goal.

Edit: Just realised Messi did the same :lol:

Don't let the hype get to you, Barcelona played a lot better than Arsenal. We were more clinical and more straightforward though. And more lucky :colonhash:

Wenger's game plan was also very smart, he knew Villa would be substituted once Arsenal become more confident in the midfield they tried to saturate the midfield with 6 Barca midfielders but he took of Song for Arshavin :congrats: A true masterstroke
(edited 13 years ago)
I don't care if we don't go through, I'm happy already. We got the best team in the world, brought them up to our gaff, and we ****ing did 'em. All the laughing boys can ****ing shove it, have that you twattish *****.

Gerritrite****in'upya.
Just to put the Arsenal performance into perspective in the second half:

At one point in the match Barça had a cumulative 68-32 possession.

By the end of the game that was reduced to 53-47. Fantastic.
Reply 3929
Original post by Skaiyote
We should make a dvd :ahee:

Nahhh....

That would be doing a "tottenham"

:biggrin:
We winnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn mfkerssss !!

After all his below par shots he has the audacity to shoot near post.

This man is on FIRE!
Reply 3933

How to beat Barcelona- Alves. Start practising the counter attacks is what i would imagine Arsene would say next.
Reply 3934
Original post by Mastermind`
Parking the bus or not, an away record like that is not good enough for a team of their calibre. They have enough creativity there to unlock defences.

I think it's complacency. Last season just like today we took the gas of the pedal and it was to late to come back. The difference between playing away and at the Camp Nou is that the crowd makes sure you're not complacent.
Woh. I don't think we did much wrong all game, Barca are such a great side, it's amazing how they can do to us what we do to other teams. I wasn't even that annoyed at HT more just baffled, with our squad there's little we can do to stop Barca creating opportunities. All we could was to keep battling and take our chances, which we failed to do 1st half but made up for 2nd and hope for some luck. We had our good spells, Wilshere and Koscielny were unbelievable, RVP,Cesc,Nasri can all play better but made telling contributions, only Song had a poor game.
But Barca were still the better side. I know we can but it's a massive ask to go to the Nou Camp and win this tie.

The only area where I think we could improve is with our high line, we have Song and Wilshere in front of the CBs with Walcott and Nasri tucking in leaving Barca space out wide, so why can't our defence drop off. It's asking for trouble with the pace the Barca front 3 possess, I think we're better off with them running at us and shooting. Our back 4 aren't coordinated enough to play a proper offside trap against this lot

Whatever happens it was a great win, the fans were brilliant and i'm proud, just a shame I wasn't there to witness it
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Barça
I think it's complacency. Last season just like today we took the gas of the pedal and it was to late to come back. The difference between playing away and at the Camp Nou is that the crowd makes sure you're not complacent.

Are you sure it's that? To me it looks like Barca press so much first half and really go for it, so if the game isn't finished off by then then you can get at them in the 2nd half. Both home legs, Barca have crumbled 2nd half, and even in the away leg Barca weren't as intense in the 2nd half.
Original post by Barça

Yeah there's definitely complacency. The substitutions by Guardiola were also a bit strange. :confused:

Original post by Economist
Woh. I don't think we did much wrong all game, Barca are such a great side, it's amazing how they can do to us what we do to other teams. I wasn't even that annoyed at HT more just baffled, with our squad there's little we can do to stop Barca creating opportunities. All we could was to keep battling and take our chances, which we failed to do 1st half but made up for 2nd and hope for some luck. We had our good spells, Wilshere and Koscielny were unbelievable, RVP,Cesc,Nasri can all play better but made telling contributions, only Song had a poor game.
But Barca were still the better side. I know we can but it's a massive ask to go to the Nou Camp and win this tie.

The only area where I think we could improve is with our high line, we have Song and Wilshere in front of the CBs with Walcott and Nasri tucking in leaving Barca space out wide, so why can't our defence drop off. It's asking for trouble with the pace the Barca front 3 possess, I think we're better off with them running at us and shooting. Our back 4 aren't coordinated enough to play a proper offside trap against this lot

Whatever happens it was a great win, the fans were brilliant and i'm proud, just a shame I wasn't there to witness it

:ditto: I thought the high line was a complete lottery. I don't think you'll get away with it at the Nou Camp. Real Madrid played a high line, it didn't end too well.
Original post by vn2009
Nahhh....

That would be doing a "tottenham"

:biggrin:

I joke :awesome:
Reply 3939
Original post by Ar5enal Fan
Are you sure it's that? To me it looks like Barca press so much first half and really go for it, so if the game isn't finished off by then then you can get at them in the 2nd half. Both home legs, Barca have crumbled 2nd half, and even in the away leg Barca weren't as intense in the 2nd half.

I wrote in the other thread about the constant pressuring tiring the players I agree. It's just that the Camp Nou crowd gives you that extra push 'making sure' your level doesn't drop to low.

Currently I see the tie as 60%-40% in our favour.

Latest