The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Overmars
We were playing an exceptional side and that involved a lot of work but there is a lot of room for improvement. Song and Fabregas were terrible (and that is no exaggeration). I thought Kos and Djourou did the best they could but Villa's goal is just down to movement and precision that no team can cope with. Walcott did well. Nasri, less so. Van Persie missed 2 fantastic opportunities that you cannot afford to miss in ties like this.

I'm not trying to have a go at the players -- I'm just saying that we weren't at our best today and Wenger should look to improve the performances for the second leg. Until then, the lads will have to put that out of their minds. We have 3 domestic trophies we're aiming for as well and there cannot be a dip in effort-levels in those games. It'll be nice to have Sagna and Vermaelen back for sure.

They can play better but it's so hard to vs Barca. Cesc did play that exquisite ball for RVP 1st half and his spin and pass to Nasri was quality (all 3 passes and shot for the 2nd goal were perfect). Song had a shocker, his 1st challenge was stupid and he lost his head after that, it's not easy to play as a DM vs Barca, I think we should consider going Cesc-Nasri-Wilshere 2nd leg

Got to keep focused at the weekend but it helps it's only Orient
This tune has got to be our anthem for the season right now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9gKyRmic20
Reply 3962
Congrats, good result :yy:

Less talk about the ref today for some reason...
Reply 3963
Original post by Ar5enal Fan
Why did he take Villa off instead of the ineffective Pedro?

Probably because Villa leading up to this game played more and was more likely to be tired. Not sure.
Original post by Louis.

Legit Barca goal was disallowed as well :pierre: and Arshavin handled in the area :flute:
Reply 3965
Original post by scherzi
Are they usually able to keep pressing nearly as much as they did early on? Also, is Puyol set to be back for 2nd leg?

At home? Yes, just look at the Real game. May be a bad example seeing as that performance was outrageous but the players never stopped. One thing I have noticed with Pep's team is that when they have a point to prove or are drawing/losing a tie then that's when you see the best of them. Barca will no doubt step up a notch for the next leg.

Concerning Puyol, no idea but if I have to guess I should think he'll be fit.
Original post by Economist
They can play better but it's so hard to vs Barca. Cesc did play that exquisite ball for RVP 1st half and his spin and pass to Nasri was quality (all 3 passes and shot for the 2nd goal were perfect). Song had a shocker, his 1st challenge was stupid and he lost his head after that, it's not easy to play as a DM vs Barca, I think we should consider going Cesc-Nasri-Wilshere 2nd leg

Got to keep focused at the weekend but it helps it's only Orient

No, we must definitely keep the Song-Wilshere-Cesc midfield. It's just as you said -- it was a silly decision by Song to concede that foul and get himself a needless booking. After that, he couldn't be his usual self, but was very average. Cesc always has the ability to play brilliant passes when not as his best but again he was too sloppy, especially in the first half. And you'd expect Van Persie, in the form he has been in, to stick those chances away in the first half....so, as I said, plenty of room for improvement in the second leg.

I think we'll score a couple at the Nou Camp. We never struggle to create chances and the second leg won't be an exception. It'll need an 2006 CL defensive performance from the team though. Djourou has been our best CB but Kos was excellent tonight...it'll be a tough choice for Wenger to decide between a recovering -- and untested -- Vermaelen and Koscielny. Djourou should be nailed on to start.
Original post by JK.
Well that wasn't a bad game, was it?

Fans were great, by all accounts. :yy:
Reply 3969
Watching it in Spain was fantastic, my Spanish flatmates all thought I was crazy.
No, we must definitely keep the Song-Wilshere-Cesc midfield. It's just as you said -- it was a silly decision by Song to concede that foul and get himself a needless booking. After that, he couldn't be his usual self, but was very average. Cesc always has the ability to play brilliant passes when not as his best but again he was too sloppy, especially in the first half. And you'd expect Van Persie, in the form he has been in, to stick those chances away in the first half....so, as I said, plenty of room for improvement in the second leg.

I think we'll score a couple at the Nou Camp. We never struggle to create chances and the second leg won't be an exception. It'll need an 2006 CL defensive performance from the team though. Djourou has been our best CB but Kos was excellent tonight...it'll be a tough choice for Wenger to decide between a recovering -- and untested -- Vermaelen and Koscielny. Djourou should be nailed on to start.

Vermaelen may not even be ready for the 2nd leg :erm:.
Good result, great performances from Kos and Wilshere, if Cesc stepped up a tad more you may have won by more. :yy:
Original post by Louis.

What about him did you want to talk about?
Reply 3973
Original post by Economist
What about him did you want to talk about?

Messi goal? If it was offside there was a handball in the buildup.

Arshavin handball?
Original post by Mr Smurf
Vermaelen may not even be ready for the 2nd leg :erm:.

You're right.

:love:
Reply 3976
Original post by Louis.
Messi goal? If it was offside there was a handball in the buildup.

Arshavin handball?

Messi goal - more the linesman than ref
Handball in buildup - from what I remember it was too quick for the defender to react (right call to not blow the whistle)
Arshavin - never really handball, he accidently headed it onto his arm, which wasn't really flapping about anyway (again, right call)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3977
I dunno if it's been mentioned already, but credit to arshavin. Even after all his below par performances of late, he still was calm n composed to score. Credit to him and the team.

I think arshavin is very important to our team, he may not track back, but his assist ratio is outstanding and his ability to b in the right place at the right time can only be admired :smile:
Reply 3978
I dunno if it's been mentioned already, but credit to arshavin. Even after all his below par performances of late, he still was calm n composed to score. Credit to him and the team.

I think arshavin is very important to our team, he may not track back, but his assist ratio is outstanding and his ability to b in the right place at the right time can only be admired :smile:
I was pissed off for the first 77 min... Then somebody made my night, and then I was gay for a certain russian...

Latest