The Student Room Group

Asked customer for id, clearly over 18, did i make a tit outta myself?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
you're cute
Original post by Anonymous
This is another insecure thread from me...

At work we do ask 25 for alcohol. I asked this women for her id, she was like 'omggzzz are serious!!!11 i'm 36.. thisn is going on facebook when I get back lolzzzz'.

It would have been alright if I was on my own at the till but there was someone beside me, and I dunno if she thoguht I was an idiot for asking. I felt like an idiot for asking.

I need cheering up.

I've ID-ed three people older than 36, one of them was actually 40. At least yours took it as a compliment, mine threatened to spit in my face hahaha, I love customers.
Reply 82
Original post by aaron.boy
Sorry, but I think thats a very selfish attitude to have. Put yourself in the shoes of the Cashier. If they don't ID you and you are under 18 then risk being fined a huge amount, losing their job and having something like that on your record makes it extremely hard to find future employment. On top of that they never know if the customer is going to be abusive (verbally or physically) towards them. And all you have to worry about is pulling a plastic card from your wallet... Why is that such a big deal. The Cashier is just doing his/her job. And I laughed when you said 'I've been allowed to buy it for 2 years', 2 years is nothing, the majority of 20 year olds get ID'd I would imagine.

I did say that I bought the 'better safe than sorry' argument from the point of view of avoiding a fine. I realise why they do it but its still annoying. And shops putting up signs like 'don't be offended if we ask your age' doesn't make it any less so.

Juno
This is assuming that you just want to pass test purchases. Any decent shop will actually want to uphold the licensing objectives so will want to prevent all underage sales.

Isn't the objective of licensing legislation mainly just to give the government an excuse to take money off people who don't comply with it? I can understand preventing little kids from drinking but if its 16/17 year olds I don't think there's any moral/safety justification for it.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 83
36?
She sounds like a ****ing 12 year old.
Reply 84
Original post by Anonymous
This is another insecure thread from me...

At work we do ask 25 for alcohol. I asked this women for her id, she was like 'omggzzz are serious!!!11 i'm 36.. thisn is going on facebook when I get back lolzzzz'.

It would have been alright if I was on my own at the till but there was someone beside me, and I dunno if she thoguht I was an idiot for asking. I felt like an idiot for asking.

I need cheering up.

I wouldn't worry :smile:
Worst that could happen, she's complimented by you thinking she looks younger
Don't worry about it, you're just doing your job. Besides, you are effectively complimenting her by thinking that she is younger than what it is. If she's 36, she'll get over that, and won't put in on facebook. :lolwut:
Nonsense. Putting officious people on Facebook puts them in their place. With their name from the badge, please- far too many of the stories in the papers are anonymous. For example an 80-something was once asked for ID to buy Guinness and it went in the paper but the young man who asked him for proof of age was NOT named!!

As for CCTV being available, CCTV is just as bad as ID. I prefer small family run shops that reject both cameras and proof of identity in favour of trusting people. You don't HAVE to go along with the security-over-liberty approach just because it's 2011 and the Twin Towers are blown up. If you want to go the other way towards trust and common sense I'm with you all the way. No to Fascist ideas in Britain!
Original post by infernalcradle
better safe than sorry....

its better to ask and to be sure than to not ask and to be wrong....

Yeah- its better to be safe than to risk being fined or even losing your job over. Even if you are a bit embarrassed.
Reply 88
Trust me, she took it as a compliment lol.

I went to B&Q a few weeks back for a bottle of wood glue and got hit for ID, how do you think i felt ? lmao
I personally don't even think it's that embarrassing?

The other day I asked someone for I.D, turns out they were giving out stamps at the door. They showed me their stamps and looked at me like I was an idiot, but I told them I wanted to see their I.D anyway. Then as I went off to make their drinks they were clearly bitching about the fact that I asked them. I just found it quite amusing, tbh. I think I'm just power-hungry.
Reply 90
Not as embarassing as a dude in tesco serving my friend.

He was like... "Can I see ID?"
So, he showed him.
"Uh. You're 20."
"No... I'm 19. My birthday is in April"
"Oh... yeah. Well I can't serve you, can i?"
"Why?"
"Well, you have to be 25"
My friend then spent the next 5 minutes explaining that wasn't true and it was challenge 25... the guy was so adamant, too.

So, your mistake is NOT embarrassing.
Reply 91
This is why Think 25 is silly. So silly. Eventually I can see it being 'Think 30', with people thinking that it's reasonable just because it has already got this far :erm:
Reply 92
Original post by draikzer
Not as embarassing as a dude in tesco serving my friend.

He was like... "Can I see ID?"
So, he showed him.
"Uh. You're 20."
"No... I'm 19. My birthday is in April"
"Oh... yeah. Well I can't serve you, can i?"
"Why?"
"Well, you have to be 25"
My friend then spent the next 5 minutes explaining that wasn't true and it was challenge 25... the guy was so adamant, too.

So, your mistake is NOT embarrassing.

Lmao, tesco would hire anyone these days.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending