The Student Room Group

Drama School/University Applicants 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 400
Original post by KeyLimeLuca
Am I the only person applying to BSA - I've looked through every page of this topic and no one else seems to have applied. I feel so alone :tongue:

A friend of mine just got offered a place there :smile:
Reply 401
Original post by rbarber.08
Wehey! I got an offer from RWCMD today :smile: xx

Yaay Congrats, what grades do you have to get? :smile: xx
Original post by TaffyBexx
Yaay Congrats, what grades do you have to get? :smile: xx

They want BCC, so quite high :s
Reply 403
Original post by pepper17
Hi :smile: I had an interview at Warwick and now have an offer :smile: It's not really like an interview, it feels quite relaxed. The practical workshop was quite fun too. And I've applied to Bristol as well but for Drama and French and have yet to hear... it's the only one I'm waiting for now!
Where else have you applied?
Good luck with your interviews :smile:

I've had an interview at Bristol now and was quite shocked by how much I disliked it. The Drama department was run down and facilities very poor and even the existing students I spoke to seemed disillusioned. I thought Warwick was brilliant though
Original post by Lazyman
I've had an interview at Bristol now and was quite shocked by how much I disliked it. The Drama department was run down and facilities very poor and even the existing students I spoke to seemed disillusioned. I thought Warwick was brilliant though

I agree, when I went to their open day a few years ago, it felt pretty poor. If I remember rightly, there was only one studio, and the students and staff didnt really know what they were on about...
Reply 405
Original post by FluffyLion
I agree, when I went to their open day a few years ago, it felt pretty poor. If I remember rightly, there was only one studio, and the students and staff didnt really know what they were on about...

Original post by Lazyman

I was invited for an interview there on march the 9th... I always thought it would be brilliant there tho, that's disappointing...
Original post by RitaF
I was invited for an interview there on march the 9th... I always thought it would be brilliant there tho, that's disappointing...

Don't take our words for it! You might really enjoy it, clearly some people do because they do well enough to be able to ask for top grades! Bristol itself is lovely, and I'm fairly confident that Marcus Brigstocke graduated from Drama at Bristol (if that's any evidence of it's quality :smile: )
two different places to go in Bristol
There is Bristol Uni with an all-right Drama course

but then it is often superseded by BOV (Bristol Old Vic) where there are greater facilities due to it being a NDCT school, not a general uni.
Reply 408
Don't take our words for it! You might really enjoy it, clearly some people do because they do well enough to be able to ask for top grades! Bristol itself is lovely, and I'm fairly confident that Marcus Brigstocke graduated from Drama at Bristol (if that's any evidence of it's quality :smile: )

Agreed! You may love it Rita F. Everyone suits different places...I've sent you a PM:smile:
has anyone got an interview at warwick for theatre&performance on 9th of march? or at lancaster for creative arts on the 16th?
Reply 410

Original post by Lazyman
Agreed! You may love it Rita F. Everyone suits different places...I've sent you a PM:smile:

Thanks guys, I will go and see for myself... And yeah, I've seen that a few good actors got out of Bristol, so that's always a plus! But I don't know, we'll see... Thanks for the PM Lazyman :smile: x
Original post by RitaF
Thanks guys, I will go and see for myself... And yeah, I've seen that a few good actors got out of Bristol, so that's always a plus! But I don't know, we'll see... Thanks for the PM Lazyman :smile: x

My drama teacher went to Brizzle with Brigstocke, and she always said she loved it. She went into music videos and such before converting to teaching. She's the one who got me into theatre properly in the first place. She's such an inspiration.
Reply 412
Original post by chompers
Yeah it's nice to just be like ah i'll actually be going somewhere, and it's almost london so it's all good.

it was four for a variety of courses. 2 sound, 1 sm and 2 set design or construction? but on the day, they offered 3 sound people. i think they're aware that people will get offers elsewhere so bear that in mind, but they take 15ish on for sound. . .

haha track is most definitely my new best friend! but will do. let me know if you hear too! xx

dude! :smile:
i got my offer for CSSD too for theatre sound! :smile:
def my first choice, i'm so pleased! you got one too yeah? might meet you there! :smile:
What are everyone's reasons and inspirations for studying drama in further education? Where do we want to be in 5/10/20 years time? Figure we should have some discussion on this, as well as just telling each other where we've got offers etc for :smile:
Reply 414
Original post by tactac
dude! :smile:
i got my offer for CSSD too for theatre sound! :smile:
def my first choice, i'm so pleased! you got one too yeah? might meet you there! :smile:

AhHHHH WICKED
yeah i did
got my LIPA one today!!
3 down 1 to go! xx
What are everyone's reasons and inspirations for studying drama in further education? Where do we want to be in 5/10/20 years time? Figure we should have some discussion on this, as well as just telling each other where we've got offers etc for :smile:

Hey :smile: I've got an offer from LIPA, hopefully in 5 years i'll have graduated with a very good degree- hopefully a 1st! And maybe I'll do an MA in Musical Theatre because...anything to give yourself a competitive edge really! And also to further my MT skills, and my career... :smile:
10 years... Hopefully I would have been working quite steadily on stage, and by this point in my life I would have been the lead in a west end musical... I know it's big dreaming, but, i've always been a big dreamer...And you guys are too! That's why we want to get into this business, to work in the west end, on broadway... It would be amazing if I did anything on the globe too, seriously like even 30 seconds on stage then off! Hahaa I love Shakespeare and the Globe, West End, and the Globe. Hopefully I would have worked in both by the time i'm 28.
My dream roles are also as followed for musicals...: Belle (BATB), Elphaba (Wicked), Jo March (Little Women), Maureen (Rent).. Yup, I'm a big dreamer... :') if only <3
20 years: I'd be 38... Hmm, maybe still working in musicals if i'm considered still young enough! Mrs Johnstone in Blood Brothers by this age haha :') If not, I'd hopefully transfer my skills and use them to direct, or teach young people about what i'd learnt, or become a singing teacher. We'll see what the future holds! I have high hopes, and hopefully I'll experience some of what I've described, if I did I'd be the happiest person, like, ever :smile: haha
What about you? :smile: and the rest of you!! :smile: x
Original post by FutureElphie
Shortening so it doesn't take up some much room :smile:

Sounds like you know what you want to do! That's the first step onto the ladder :smile: I wouldn't worry too much about being 38 - most of the original Rent cast came back to do the film 15 years later, and they were pretty good! Plus Idina Menzel was in Wicked and Glee recently, and she's still got a cracking voice on her, plus incredible stage presence. I'm no expert in musical theatre, but if you're on a big enough stage, as long as you don't look ridiculously old at 38, you could do anything from 20s to 50s character-wise :smile: I think teaching is a brilliant thing to do too, as far as making sure you have a career path when you're old and washed up, as well as giving yourself an insight into how you are as a performer. From my experiences of teaching, it tells you a lot about yourself. When you're in 2nd/3rd year, if you're a particularly good singer, it might be worth offering tuition to younger/less-experienced students. I know I'll be looking for a cheap singing tutor when I'm at uni.

As far as my inspirations go - this is going to sound really cliché, but I remember wanting to be on stage from being in year 7 at school. I would have taken Drama GCSE, but my school didn't offer it, so I just tried out for plays etc, and then did Theatre Studies for A level. It was always meant to be just a fourth subject, but one that I knew I wanted to do. I was going to study physics at university. I did my first year of A levels, completely flunked physics (I'm still interested in it, but the maths was way too advanced for me, even though I was doing maths too, and my teachers were pretty poor). I went to the Edinburgh Fringe in August 2009, and then realised that I loved the subject completely. It was at the Fringe that I realised there was so much variation and application for everything that we were learning. Did second year of A levels, and applied to do English and Drama at uni, got two offers, decided I was going to take a gap year because my choices were poor. Was involved in so much theatre that year - school production of Oliver (played Mr Sowerbury, and ran some rehearsals), A2 devised piece, A2 exam, and then Edinburgh devised piece. Me and my friends, directed by a Manchester student who was a school alumnus, devised 6 days a week in July and took a performance to Edinburgh, to C Venues, where we got some really nice reviews (my mate texted me the other day as well, telling me that he was talking to a friend he met at uni who'd seen our show and really enjoyed it). Have applied for practical, more contemporary courses this year.

In 5 years, I'd love to be either working as a teacher, or part (director, hopefully) of a contemporary theatre company. That's where my interests lie - in modern, breaking-edge theatre. I think there's so much we can do with technology, tvs, computers. There's some amazing work being done by companies like Blast Theory, Gobsquad, Reckless Sleepers, as well as the more obvious Forced Entertainment, Kneehigh etc. I think Kneehigh use music in a really nice way, and music is something that interests me too - unfortunately my abilities are quite low, hence me wanting to learn to sing at uni.

In 10 years, I'd love to see a progression of whatever I've been doing, either as head of a department, or seeing my company touring some brilliant venues, getting seen by students, respected by the community. I would love to be able to work with groups like Belt Up, who are creating some amazing immersive stuff at the moment, Delete The Banjax & Late Night Gimp Fight (for some comedy shizzle, cause I'm funny yo).

Hope people aren't put off by the WALL OF TEXT.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 417
Original post by Lazyman

Well I've never been to Bristol so that's quite interesting to hear... The course at Warwick is amazing and the lecturers seemed really good. Have you had an offer from Warwick or Bristol?
Warwick will probably be my first choice, although I'm not keen on the whole campus uni thing. So many decisions to be made! Where else have you applied?
Reply 418
Had my LIPA interview on Tuesday 15th. Got an offer on the 16th :biggrin: Theatre and Performance Technology.
Original post by petecroft
Had my LIPA interview on Tuesday 15th. Got an offer on the 16th :biggrin: Theatre and Performance Technology.

Same! It's amazing how fast they came through! congrats, is LIPA your first choice?
x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending