The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by simonc1993
Who did you have to sleep with to get predictions like that!?
Your UMS marks must have been pretty top notch

Haha no one!

My school predicted A*'s if you got above an average of 95ums, so in maths above 285/300, geography general and economics above 180/200. I'm not expecting those results though, maybe 2 A*'s?

I don't understand why the above poster would reapply though with an offer from Durham? Realistically only Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, and Warwick are above Durham, and in terms of the environment Durham is second to none.
Reply 1781
Original post by -WhySoSerious?
What makes you think Economics will be any less competitive? Some of the arts courses, sure, but I very much doubt Economics will see a hit in application numbers.

I'm sure the fees will still impact on courses such as economics. The increase in fees for the next wave of students meant that people are trying to rush into university instead of going on gap years to beat the rise. The tuition fees won't impact economics as much as some of the arts courses, you're right, but I'm sure it still had an effect.
Reply 1782
Original post by -WhySoSerious?
What makes you think Economics will be any less competitive? Some of the arts courses, sure, but I very much doubt Economics will see a hit in application numbers.

I very much disagree, having record numbers of economics applicants this year will only encourage students next year to apply for economics courses diluted with another subject in order to increase their chances, I know many people who did that this year. I think also having a possible £6000 extra to pay in tuition fees alone will also naturally curb the number of people applying for any subject. Plus with the extra time to write a better PS and to do things I couldn't do at school, I think i could be more competitive relative to other applicants.
The Law of Demand states that as price increases, quantity demanded falls. That in itself should explain what will happen during next year's application process.
Original post by rohitronaldo
The Law of Demand states that as price increases, quantity demanded falls. That in itself should explain what will happen during next year's application process.

You are forgetting all the assumptions that the theory was based on.
Reply 1785
Anyone who thinks that the increase in tuition fees won't make a difference in the number of applicants e.i. will decrease quite dramatically is stupid to say the least. Money matters and I doubt that an extra 6 thousand a year is nothing, you're all talking like money grows on trees, I can guarantee that there will be at least 30% less applicants all round compared to this years stats.
(edited 13 years ago)
Hello there my application is for 2012.. (AAAa grades.history maths eco accounting plus fm as prediction a)

Bath-rejection
notts-conditional
warwick-....
Bristol-...
Durham-...

Me want durham ;p
Reply 1787
Original post by TomasK
Anyone who thinks that the increase in tuition fees won't make a difference in the number of applicants e.i. will decrease quite dramatically is stupid to say the least. Money matters and I doubt that an extra 6 thousand a year is nothing, you're all talking like money grows on trees, I can guarantee that there will be at least 30% less applicants all round compared to this years stats.

I hope your not applying for economics at university, 'cause that analysis was WEAK.
I too think there would be any significant fall in the competition for places esp. for popular courses such as Economics. Truth is that places are quite fewer than the applicants already and in fact if you take the number of people who:
- have decided to take a gap year,
- those being unsuccessful on this cycle,
- EU or internationals
- and also all those thinking of applying next year as they expect less competition due to fee increase
it may be even produce a bigger number...
I guess time will tell who is right here.
Reply 1789
Original post by tateco
I hope your not applying for economics at university, 'cause that analysis was WEAK.

If you need any sort of analysis for things that obvious then I'm terribly sorry.
Original post by pinggor
Predicted the same as you actually. :P
applied to Warwick Notts Bham Southampton and Surrey. Only warwick left to hear from

Good luck with Warwick then! Hopefully you'll have more luck than me, haha. Offers/Rejections so far?
Reply 1791
Conditional from Warwick
For Maths and Economics (kinda Economics :P)
A* in FM and 2 or A in FM and 1
Reply 1792
is there anyone still waiting for birmingham economics?
Original post by rohitronaldo

Though I suspect demand for an economics degree is highly price inelastic and cross price inelastic (compared to what will be 'cheaper' degrees, ie. more vocational degrees or lower ranking universities). There probably will be a slight increase in demand for accountancy courses that only require A levels etc. But competitiveness for Economics degrees won't have changed too much. I reckon we'll see less people applying for less traditional degrees at polytechnics.
You can tell this is an economics applicants thread...
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Wezzler

I was just looking at last years economics thread...those guys got way moody with you
Reply 1795
Original post by Wezzler

yup
Reply 1796
Original post by savecyprus
Hello there my application is for 2012.. (AAAa grades.history maths eco accounting plus fm as prediction a)

Bath-rejection
notts-conditional
warwick-....
Bristol-...
Durham-...

Me want durham ;p

May I know why you would choose Durham over Nottingham? :h:
Bath Rejection
Original post by simonc1993
Bath Rejection

when did you get the email? what time?
Original post by angelic03