The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hate how there is no overtime at the minute. :frown:
hey guys, want to ask your opinion.

i left sainsburys in the summer to go to uni but still go back to my old store as a temp for xmas/easter etc. thing is, i'm literally 2 mins from the store at uni and have plenty of time to work. i've seen a few jobs pop up on the recruitment page, but i really want to know the best way of getting a dual store contract. do you think it's best to:

-wait till i go back for easter and ask hr to try and sort something for me then
-phone hr at my home store now and see if there's anything they can do
-phone hr at the uni store
-apply from the beginning again online

i guess they're the only options? interested to hear your thoughts!
Original post by Foulish
Why not? They can't make you work without a break, but you can choose to if you wish.

(its what I have been told, so don't quote me on that!)

i dunno, my manager is the kind that will let you go without a break but you still have to stay til the time youre meant to lol
Anyone else being forced to book their holiday time for the rest of the year now?

Are they actually allowed to force this, as I have no idea when I'm going to be on holiday 6-9 months down the line?
I handed in my notice yesterday. ^-^

Original post by rockyoulikeahurricane
hey guys, want to ask your opinion.

i left sainsburys in the summer to go to uni but still go back to my old store as a temp for xmas/easter etc. thing is, i'm literally 2 mins from the store at uni and have plenty of time to work. i've seen a few jobs pop up on the recruitment page, but i really want to know the best way of getting a dual store contract. do you think it's best to:

-wait till i go back for easter and ask hr to try and sort something for me then
-phone hr at my home store now and see if there's anything they can do
-phone hr at the uni store
-apply from the beginning again online

i guess they're the only options? interested to hear your thoughts!

I think if you talk to hr at your home store they'll sort it out for you but I'm not 100% sure.

Original post by Sir_Malc
Anyone else being forced to book their holiday time for the rest of the year now?

Are they actually allowed to force this, as I have no idea when I'm going to be on holiday 6-9 months down the line?

Yeah, I dunno how they can expect you to know when you're going to want holiday already. I'd suggest booking whatever you feel like at the moment and then if at some point you need holiday for something, fill in one of those forms to request to change your holiday to a different time.
on the till: does anyone know how you get back the option of entering the number of bags if you have accidentally double clicked no.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by bananaterracottapie
on the till: does anyone know how you get back the option of entering the number of bags if you have accidentally double clicked no.

I haven't found a way. Normally, I am careful but sometimes I click passed it by accident. I always feel a bit guilty - the mystery shopper would mark you down on it etc.

Hopefully someone will be able to tell us a way. :smile:

yeah we did last year, i've already booked the dates i want though
Reply 7708

there's an option in one of the PLU menus for bag reuse.

I usually feel really guilty when this happens and didnt know a way until today, when I saw someone else also make this mistake.
You can go back to the selling mode, then press PLU group, then recycling i think? (it might be number 1 on favorites, as well?) but yeah there's a bag reuse option there somewhere.. I only caught a glimpse of it.
sorry about the not very helpful post!
Reply 7710
Original post by shooting.star
I usually feel really guilty when this happens and didnt know a way until today, when I saw someone else also make this mistake.
You can go back to the selling mode, then press PLU group, then recycling i think? (it might be number 1 on favorites, as well?) but yeah there's a bag reuse option there somewhere.. I only caught a glimpse of it.
sorry about the not very helpful post!

You are pretty much right - Plu - Recycling - Bag Reuse (2), then enter the number reused... or just use number 8884.
Reply 7711

thats what i always say to my manager that i have no idea what im doing next week nevermind the rest of the year even though im not too bothered about when i have off anyways, i just like to question everything. i just love having discussions and coming out on top.

i would think they want you to book about half of it. otherwise you could leave it to the very last minute say the last 6 weeks of the year and have all your holidays in one go. imagine if a few people did then they would be stuffed for 6 weeks.
i think many people go for holidays during the summer (no idea why) and they only allow so many off in the same period, first come first served as they say. you will notice in the later months that notices would have been placed to notify which periods staffed aren't allowed off as they have filled in their holiday allocation (well they do in our store).

hold on i havent answered your question, they can't force you but when you want off say in the summer it may be fully booked.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by mug51
thats what i always say to my manager that i have no idea what im doing next week nevermind the rest of the year even though im not too bothered about when i have off anyways, i just like to question everything. i just love having discussions and coming out on top.

i would think they want you to book about half of it. otherwise you could leave it to the very last minute say the last 6 weeks of the year and have all your holidays in one go. imagine if a few people did then they would be stuffed for 6 weeks.
i think many people go for holidays during the summer (no idea why) and they only allow so many off in the same period, first come first served as they say. you will notice in the later months that notices would have been placed to notify which periods staffed aren't allowed off as they have filled in their holiday allocation (well they do in our store).

hold on i havent answered your question, they can't force you but when you want off say in the summer it may be fully booked.

Used to hate booking holidays, much better where I work now can have holiday pretty much whenever I want with only a few weeks notice.

I never used to get the whole budget thing. Your department could be fully staffed for the time you wanted off but they won't let you have it as it will take them over the holiday budget for the week due to holiday in other departments. Whenever I questioned my manager about it they just said well they are a business. The budget excuse made no sense at all, they have x amount of staff that are allowed to take x amount of holiday in a year so surely the holiday budgets should be yearly not worked on on a weekly basis.
lol well we have about 5people on hol next week and we only have a shift of about 14 people to start with. so booking holidays has kinda buggered them.
Reply 7714
Had my 4 week, 8 week, and 12 week review all in 30 minuets last night :P
i dont think my store is doing very well, heard something from one of my colleagues earlier >_<
Had my 4 week and 11 week review in 10 minutes this afternoon. Trying to fill in the form to say what I was happy with an what I was unhappy with 4 weeks in, when I am now closer to five months in, was a bit difficult lol. :smile:

Apparently, they want to alter the grab locks on the tills at our store, so that they can put relief staff on the till instantly without having to mess around with the keys. Have your stores mentioned anything like that?
Anyone know how strict the black shoes rule is? I have a new pair of shoes to hopefully try to correct a problem I have with my feet but they are not completely black. They have a grey sole plus grey at the toe and heal - any other grey would be covered by my trousers. I work on checkout so for the most part my feet will be hidden.
Reply 7718

Original post by affinity89
I haven't found a way. Normally, I am careful but sometimes I click passed it by accident. I always feel a bit guilty - the mystery shopper would mark you down on it etc.

Hopefully someone will be able to tell us a way. :smile:

PLU Group > Bag reuse (If there isnt a cateogory, it also appears in the favourites list)
Reply 7719
Original post by KatrinaLou
Anyone know how strict the black shoes rule is? I have a new pair of shoes to hopefully try to correct a problem I have with my feet but they are not completely black. They have a grey sole plus grey at the toe and heal - any other grey would be covered by my trousers. I work on checkout so for the most part my feet will be hidden.

My store don't mind if you wear black trainers. I once went in with blue trainers because my black trainers where completely knackered, and they pretty much said to me "Black trainers by Monday or you'll get a disciplinary".

Checkouts are very strict about nail varnish too. They never used to, but I'm always seeing people at the podium being forced to remove it.

Latest

Trending

Trending