Reply 4002
Anyone for St Cuth's around? :smile:
Reply 4003
Original post by ConfusedMan
Me! Got an offer for Law about a month ago, and was given Hild Bede :smile:

Original post by lilypop
I've got an unconditional for Maths and Economics, St hilde and St bede

Yay! I've asked about 3 times, and no one's owned up to it 'til now :smile:
Are you going to the open day(s) in March?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4004
Original post by katey_doodles
Aiiiieeee :biggrin: Just got an offer for French and Spanish, AAB! I can't belieeeve it! :smile:

Congrats! You have 10 A*s + 2 As at GCSE; 4 As at ASs, you are predicted 4 A*s at A2s, you have an offer from Cambridge. I hope you don't mind me asking, but why can't you believe your offer? I am really curious...:colondollar:
Reply 4005
Original post by sam1am
Yeah they said instead of changing my ucas they would attach a letter with the physical copy of the application, I have a feeling my request got lost somewhere in the bureaucratic cycle though :/

And I liked the look of trevs from the internet, but then when I visited durham wasnt keen on the look of it at all. I guess there's more to a college then its buildings though. Didn't help I went to oxford for my interview and loved the old style of buildings there.

And yeah, I'm going up on the first day, the monday, might be the 22nd? Not sure. Apparently the train line to durham is closed that week so its if I can get there at all!

Am going to be lame and quote myself here, but I just checked the AES on whim and my useful links has changed to St. Chads! Woooooo. Hooray for bureaucracy. Seems like multiple emails paid off in the end.
Original post by Olivia1234
Ah cool, where will be your first choice? I have offers from Bath, newcastle and exeter, and still waiting for st andrews and durham! I really like Bath, but i think i would choose durham if i got an offer (not holding out much hope!)

where else did you apply? :smile:

Cambridge is my first choice :smile: ahh! Bath is lovely! My best friend applied there, and it seems soo nice.
I applied to Cambridge, Durham, St. Andrews, Edinburgh and Bristol, all for French and Spanish :smile: were you for languages at all of your choices?

Original post by kninja
Congrats! You have 10 A*s + 2 As at GCSE; 4 As at ASs, you are predicted 4 A*s at A2s, you have an offer from Cambridge. I hope you don't mind me asking, but why can't you believe your offer? I am really curious...:colondollar:

Haha, you're making me blush :blushing:
The first word I got back from any of my choices was from Bristol, (which needed the lowest grades, and was going to be my insurance) and it was a rejection. I guess since that I've been surprised when I've got any of my other offers!
any butler around?
Original post by zanahoria
any butler around?

Butler for law :smile:
Reply 4009
Original post by adam0311
Yes, there's a link somewhere...it was awhile ago so small chance I'd find it. It was by proportion though. I've used the LinkedIn method as well, but it has 2 flaws: 1(It doesn't capture everyone. 2(Don't forget proportion, there are twice as many at KCL.

With that said, my LinkedIn search comes up with KCL and Durham having almost the exact same representation in the MC (don't forget KCL is 2x the size, so the fact that it has the same representation compared to a law school half the size). KCL has a bit more at Clifford Chance, but Durham has a bit more at Allen & Overy.

Correct. Only because its in London though. If you took the exact same institution and placed it in another part of the UK, it would loose quite a bit. Its objective numbers (research output, UCAS avg, etc.) are certainly not on par with Oxbridge, LSE/UCL and Durham.

With regards to what I didn't quote--I agree with most of what you have to say. One thing I would strongly consider (if employment is a big issue for you), is that KCL is literally twice the size. Durham has 545 registered students and KCL has 1025. For diversity sakes, its unlikely firms would re-adjust and take 2x as many KCL kids vs. Durham kids. If anything is underrated, its the issue of size at KCL. LSE, UCL, and Durham all have the same number of students (low 500's total).

I too think the point you make about class size is relevant (for all those concerned, it is found at http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/ - a great site, better than the league tables I reckon).

As far as LinkedIn's sampling of MC professionals is concerned, my search does show roughly double the number of KCL alumni working there. (Where MC = A&O, Clifford Chance, Linklaters, Freshfields and Slaughters).

I do think the unistats info paints a very positive picture of Durham, especially in terms of UCAS points at entry. Maybe, some of King's lack in this area is down to foreign students (38% as opposed to Durham's 25%, IIRC). Foreign students often don't have UCAS points, as I remember, as they're a British A-level thing.

At the moment I do expect to be at Durham come September, so we should have plenty of time to sort out the finer details in person!
(edited 13 years ago)
Cambridge is my first choice :smile: ahh! Bath is lovely! My best friend applied there, and it seems soo nice.
I applied to Cambridge, Durham, St. Andrews, Edinburgh and Bristol, all for French and Spanish :smile: were you for languages at all of your choices?

Yep i was French and Spanish for all of them :smile:

How could Bristol possibly reject you! :O that's ridiculous!
Reply 4011
Original post by blackpot
Is there nobody else for St Hild and St Bede? :frown:

yeah i applied there; have you got an offer?
Reply 4012

Haha, you're making me blush :blushing:
The first word I got back from any of my choices was from Bristol, (which needed the lowest grades, and was going to be my insurance) and it was a rejection. I guess since that I've been surprised when I've got any of my other offers!

... sorry, didn't mean to :smile:, it's just that if I had grades like those, I would have felt pretty confident, but I can also see how a rej from Bristol - and it being your first reply too, could have made you doubt the strength of your application. Well, that's Bristol's loss!! They do have a reputation (I don't know how fair it is) for being private/public school haters. If that's your situation, that could be why. Well done again & make sure you get your Camb grades to prove to yourself that you never needed Bristol. :biggrin:
Reply 4013
For strictly research purposes only, and not the fact that a minor case of paranoia may be setting in, how many people are still waiting to hear back about history?
Original post by Sappho
Anyone for St Cuth's around? :smile:

Yes :smile:
Original post by blackpot
Yay! I've asked about 3 times, and no one's owned up to it 'til now :smile:
Are you going to the open day(s) in March?

Yep, booked my train tickets yesterday :biggrin:

Going to the Monday/Tuesday one as I've got my driving test on the Wednesday :s-smilie:
Reply 4016
Original post by WillSinclair
Yes, but I would have thought that they would try to give out as many as possible before the open days so that as many people can visit. Then again, for very popular courses that may not be possible

Yeah i suppose they'd try to, but i know a few people from previous years for courses like history who got offers after the open day
Original post by nicoll
For strictly research purposes only, and not the fact that a minor case of paranoia may be setting in, how many people are still waiting to hear back about history?

Me.
Reply 4018
Original post by __howdy__
Me.

When did you send off your application?
October.

Latest