The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

whats wrong with birmingham?

basically i have a AAA offer for 2011 History and politics which im happy with, and i have to choose between brum and york for firm. But whenever i ask people about it, they act as if birmingham is somehow worse than most other RGs. all the official stats and league tables say its good, so i dont really understand. is the teaching poor or something like that?
birmingham uni is one of the best uni in the uk.
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
You have to live in Birmingham.

Edit: Wow, take a joke, people...
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
ignore them, there's absolutely nothing wrong with birmingham :smile: it's a very good uni.
Reply 4
don't pay too much attention to those who try to put birmingham off.. Imo, these are just biased opinions.. i have friends studying in birmingham and they're having a fantastic time there (great social scene, student life, atmosphere).. the uni is very prestigious and the teaching quality is also very good.. i'm not sure about your dept., but i bet they are just as good.. birmingham is a fantastic city and the campus is lovely too.. and being one of the worst or best RG uni doesn't really affect your student experience and teaching quality.. so don't worry bout it..
Reply 5
dont knock it if you want to go to birmingham GO TO BIRMINGHAM! Its a great place
Reply 6
It's quite near Coventry.
Reply 7
Ignore them
Its an internationally recognised russell group university and the teaching is really good. The city itself is really nice, it has a huge shopping centre, great nightlife - it literally has everything you need to have an amazing time at university.
Birmingham is a more recognised univeristy than york, i would recommend firming birmingham but you need to make usre you make the right decision for yourself. Just don't let people put you off! :smile:
Why don't you visit Birmingham for the day, not just the uni make sure you go around Selly Oak (where the students live) and around the city centre. When I was choosing unis it helped me alot to get a feel for the city (I went to uni in Leicester)
Reply 9
Birmingham is a an elite university, but it isnt as good as York. Moreover the real issue with birmingham univeristy, is that you have to live in birmingham.
The people you speak to are retards, they clearly haven't heard of the Russell Group.
Original post by BlueJoker
You have to live in Birmingham.

Couldn't agree more and I've lived there all my life!

I've heard the University is pretty good but I'm not that keen on the actual place itself but that's my personal view.

You should probably go there for a day trip or overnight to get a feel for it though like others have suggested (:
Birmingham is bloody expensive to live in.

Anywho, in international rankings, Birmingham does better than York, but at home, York is seen as more prestigious. I think it's because York is known to be quite quaint, whilst Birmingham has a gang culture (although it isn't unique - loads of cities and towns have gangs and crime).
I'd say York as a uni is slightly better than Birmingham, but Birmingham is still a very good university. My only real issue with it is the cost of the halls.
Reply 14
Original post by The Great Defector
basically i have a AAA offer for 2011 History and politics which im happy with, and i have to choose between brum and york for firm. But whenever i ask people about it, they act as if birmingham is somehow worse than most other RGs. all the official stats and league tables say its good, so i dont really understand. is the teaching poor or something like that?

Don't listen to those people. Birmingham is a far more respected uni than York. And it's has a proper lush campus.
Reply 15
York is made of concrete and duck s***, with a grey lake in the middle. Birmingham is nice (if you ignore Birmingham New Street Station and the most burgled street in the country. Which my mate used to live next to...).
Actually the teaching on that course is really, really good* and the campus is lovely. It's just not a trendy uni at all which is mostly a function of the fact that everyone thinks the city is totally naff (it is a little bit, but nowhere near as bad as it was, although people's opinions haven't changed because most haven't visited since the 80s when it was definitely a ****hole - so they don't know that its changed).

*I did my undergrad there and now teach at another RG university - the Brum course is really good
Reply 17
I had my prejudices about it at first but once I got there I absolutely loved it!

The campus and accommodation's vibe and nightlife are great, as is the huge variety of student nights; from big and mainstream clubs to alternative venues of which there are too many to visit in a year of regular sessioning. There is a student night which is guaranteed to be full every day of the week! In the second year the student area Selly Oak is right next to the uni and pretty much only populated by students and with constant house parties.
The City of Birmingham itself does have a few dull areas, especially to those who have only passed through it but the Bullring is incredible for shopping, Victoria Square is picturesque and the old part of the university is very traditionally british and with lots of open green areas for relaxing on in summer. The library is expansive, the lecturing and tutoring I have recieved has been brilliant and the feedback given for essays really helps you to improve.
In short, it wasn't my first choice through ucas but after half a year there and visiting friends at the establishments I had previously prefered I feel so lucky to have ended up here. The majority of people here love the nighltife, the university, the course and the city itself like I do, so give it a chance and you won't regret it!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 18
Birmingham isn't the greatest city in the world tbh. However I'm in my first year and to be honest the only time I'm in the city itself is when I'm out clubbing and couldn't really give a damn about the city aesthetics....
Reply 19
Birmingham university is in edgbaston, basically the nicest area in Birmingham i think, if you're on the vale in first year you are surrounded by an expensive leafy suburb, its peacefull but not boring, loads of clubs are just a short taxi away, and you'll only go into birmingham centre for nights out and the bullring/high streets so if your worried about it being grotty then honestly don't, you'll only be exposed to the nicest areas of birmingham, vist is my best advice.

You do however live in Selly oak after first year which has a high crime rate and is a bit grotty, but im pretty sure most second year places are like that, and at least in Selly Oak your surrounded by streets filled with students and youre close to uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending