The Student Room Group

So how does transferring universities work?

Starting in 2011, I will be doing a foundation course at my chosen university. The full course is 4 years (3 years plus the foundation year) however, I have decided that after I completed the foundation year, I want to change universities.

So, I was wondering how do I got about doing this? When I start the foundation year, would I need to apply to my chosen universities like other A level students? If so, my university won't be able to give me a reference as I'd have only been studying there for a short period of time.

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by mrdoovde1
Starting in 2011, I will be doing a foundation course at my chosen university. The full course is 4 years (3 years plus the foundation year) however, I have decided that after I completed the foundation year, I want to change universities.

So, I was wondering how do I got about doing this? When I start the foundation year, would I need to apply to my chosen universities like other A level students? If so, my university won't be able to give me a reference as I'd have only been studying there for a short period of time.

Thanks

I'm not sure how you go about transferring in your case because its a foundation degree, but I am transfering universities and I'm in my 2nd year so I may be able to help.

I'm transferring to retake my 2nd year somewhere else in a slightly different subject.

Some Universities go through UCAS some do it all internally.

I e-mailed all of the universities I wanted to go to, and checked the module compatibility and if they where impressed with my transcripts of results. Some Universities said they don't offer transfers, some said the modules wheren't compatible, and some invited me for interview/to hand in a portfolio.

A couple asked me to redo UCAS, so I asked a reference from a university tutor. It was basically the same as doing UCAS for my first year but you put point of entry 2 (for 2nd year) and changed my personal statement as to WHY I wanted to transfer.

For the Universities that have said don't go through UCAS they want you to fill in internal application forms or launch an appeal through APL.

Good Luck!

(if you want to go somewhere else why not just apply through clearing?)
Reply 2
Original post by snufkin_
I'm not sure how you go about transferring in your case because its a foundation degree, but I am transfering universities and I'm in my 2nd year so I may be able to help.

I'm transferring to retake my 2nd year somewhere else in a slightly different subject.

Some Universities go through UCAS some do it all internally.

I e-mailed all of the universities I wanted to go to, and checked the module compatibility and if they where impressed with my transcripts of results. Some Universities said they don't offer transfers, some said the modules wheren't compatible, and some invited me for interview/to hand in a portfolio.

A couple asked me to redo UCAS, so I asked a reference from a university tutor. It was basically the same as doing UCAS for my first year but you put point of entry 2 (for 2nd year) and changed my personal statement as to WHY I wanted to transfer.

For the Universities that have said don't go through UCAS they want you to fill in internal application forms or launch an appeal through APL.

Good Luck!

(if you want to go somewhere else why not just apply through clearing?)

Thanks for your help

I can't apply through clearing because the course I am doing is a biomedical science foundation course and in order to progress to the full biomedical course i.e. the 3 years BSc, I need to complete the foundation year so that is what I'm doing.
Reply 3
Original post by mrdoovde1
Thanks for your help

I can't apply through clearing because the course I am doing is a biomedical science foundation course and in order to progress to the full biomedical course i.e. the 3 years BSc, I need to complete the foundation year so that is what I'm doing.

Sorry I meant could you not do the foundation degree somewhere else if you don't want to go to that uni anymore?

And, if you do your foundation degree, you can always apply through clearing to get into 2nd year entry or whatever.

I've been told by numerous uni's that they can't guarantee me a place to swap for September, but if I go through clearing in August they will know more about how many places are available etc.
Reply 4
Original post by snufkin_
Sorry I meant could you not do the foundation degree somewhere else if you don't want to go to that uni anymore?

And, if you do your foundation degree, you can always apply through clearing to get into 2nd year entry or whatever.

I've been told by numerous uni's that they can't guarantee me a place to swap for September, but if I go through clearing in August they will know more about how many places are available etc.

It's not that the university is rubbish, it's atually quite a good uni. But there are better universities I want to go to that don't offer the foundation year.

Also, I won't be applying for the second year of entry, I'll be applying for the first year.
Reply 5
Its much easier to transfer in your situation that it would be if you were in the 2nd year of a degree. Basically just apply to UCAS again and enter all your qualifications including your foundation year. Also, you'll have to pay the higher fees if you switch unis and you're applying for 2012 entry, though i assume you'll be applying for 2011 if you're on your foundation year now.
Reply 6
oh I see. I thought foundation degrees where for 2 years and then you did a "top up" to a third year at other uni's. Obviously not haha my bad..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending