The Student Room Group

Really like a guy from Facebook.

One of my friend's friends added me on Facebook about a year ago. We have never met in real life but from his photos he looks exactly like my type. He has such a lovely, handsome face and beautiful eyes, and I laugh out loud at some of his statuses. He sometimes 'likes' my statuses.

Whilst we have never spoken in real life, he lives very near me. I sometimes see him in the shop near my flat, but he is very tall and never notices me. Last week I was in the gym and I saw him on his way into uni (I go to a different uni in the same city).

He has been single in all the time I've had him as a friend on Facebook. He's 20 and I'm 18. Basically I don't know how to approach him. I don't talk to our mutual friend anymore so I can't meet him through him now.

Should I just go up to him next time and say "Hey, aren't you so-and-so's friend?" But then where would I take it from there? I feel like such a stalker but I don't fancy any guys at my uni and he is funny and good-looking.

What to do TSR? :frown:

TL;DR version: Hot guy on Facebook I've never spoken to in real life, how do I approach him?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Pandora_Eyes
One of my friend's friends added me on Facebook about a year ago. We have never met in real life but from his photos he looks exactly like my type. He has such a lovely, handsome face and beautiful eyes, and I laugh out loud at some of his statuses. He sometimes 'likes' my statuses.

Whilst we have never spoken in real life, he lives very near me. I sometimes see him in the shop near my flat, but he is very tall and never notices me. Last week I was in the gym and I saw him on his way into uni (I go to a different uni in the same city).

He has been single in all the time I've had him as a friend on Facebook. He's 20 and I'm 18. Basically I don't know how to approach him. I don't talk to our mutual friend anymore so I can't meet him through him now.

Should I just go up to him next time and say "Hey, aren't you so-and-so's friend?" But then where would I take it from there? I feel like such a stalker but I don't fancy any guys at my uni and he is funny and good-looking.

What to do TSR? :frown:

TL;DR version: Hot guy on Facebook I've never spoken to in real life, how do I approach him?

Not a stalker, more of a loser

I mean c'mon, you're saying how this guy sometimes likes your statuses and you're saying he's such a funny guy, yet you've never met him, you think this is rational behaviour?

Basically you've got someone on Facebook who you don't really know, but you think is fit and you have wishful thinking...

Oh and if you do choose to "approach him", please don't use that line...
Reply 2
How can you be friends with someone if you've never spoken to them in real life?
Reply 3
Only the lonely bastards/bitches of TSR would fall for someone without having met said bastard/bitch.
Reply 4
Original post by MilkyC
How can you be friends with someone if you've never spoken to them in real life?

I never said we were friends, he just added me on Facebook. I've met his friend in real life before.
Reply 5
It would be pretty weird if you had a scripted conversation in place for when you started talking to him..

Conversations evolve - just open up conversation and see where it goes, mention you live near-by or something. Its not like hes gonna stand there silently the whole time. Tho if he does run.

Weirdo.
Poke him.
Reply 7
I never said we were friends, he just added me on Facebook. I've met his friend in real life before.

Just Facebook chat him. Or even better message him. Just say you've seen him around and realised you had him on FB and start up a conversation.

The worst that can happen is he'll not be interested and you'll lose face online - hardly the end of the world.

The sooner you do something about it, the better the chance you have of making something happen - so go for it !:biggrin:

(that way you can arrange to meetup after talking lots online)
Reply 8
dude poke him!
see if he pokes back
if that fails harvest his crops for him?
Reply 9
And yet people (i.e. GUYS) on TSR talk about seeing girls on trains before and approaching them? How is this any different to approaching someone you like at uni or in class or whatever and opening up a conversation? :rolleyes:

If a guy goes up to a girl on a train and has a conversation with her, he's a LAD. If a girl does it she's a weirdo?

Double standards.
Reply 10
Original post by spazman21
Only the lonely bastards/bitches of TSR would fall for someone without having met said bastard/bitch.

Did I say I was in love with the guy? :lolwut:
Reply 11
Original post by zKlown
Not a stalker, more of a loser

I mean c'mon, you're saying how this guy sometimes likes your statuses and you're saying he's such a funny guy, yet you've never met him, you think this is rational behaviour?

Yes, I do actually.

Oh and if you do choose to "approach him", please don't use that line...

Why not? People have said that to me before. It's perfectly normal conversation. :s-smilie:
Reply 12

He adds people he doesn't no...
I guess you could randomly start a facebook chat with him. It'll be obvious you're into him but see where it goes from there.
Reply 13
And yet people (i.e. GUYS) on TSR talk about seeing girls on trains before and approaching them? How is this any different to approaching someone you like at uni or in class or whatever and opening up a conversation? :rolleyes:

If a guy goes up to a girl on a train and has a conversation with her, he's a LAD. If a girl does it she's a weirdo?

Double standards.

It isn't. The fact you're asking for help to approach him suggests that maybe you're a bit nervous about approaching someone like this though? I can assure you the majority of people that say they'd be comfortable walking up to a random person in the street and initiating a chat with them are probably lying.

You've either got to be very confident, or love chatting to people so much you ignore the fact the other person probably thinks you're a mentalist < I'm one of these people

You said he's also a friend of a friend? Can't you get introduced to him properly through your friend? :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Tomby1
It isn't. The fact you're asking for help to approach him suggests that maybe you're a bit nervous about approaching someone like this though?

Yes, I am aware that it would look a bit creepy, that's why I have no idea how to initiate it, if I decide to at all.

I can assure you the majority of people that say they'd be comfortable walking up to a random person in the street and initiating a chat with them are probably lying.[

You've either got to be very confident, or love chatting to people so much you ignore the fact the other person probably thinks you're a mentalist < I'm one of these people

See my friends are like that, they can talk to ANYONE, but I'm a very nervous person.

You said he's also a friend of a friend? Can't you get introduced to him properly through your friend? :smile:

Maybe. I could get wasted and ask him :awesome:
I sometimes see him in the shop near my flat, but he is very tall and never notices me.

I assume you are on the ground floor, if you move into the flat above you then he might notice you through your window.
Reply 16
Yes, I am aware that it would look a bit creepy, that's why I have no idea how to initiate it, if I decide to at all.

It's not that creepy, really. You see a guy you like, you talk to him. He doesn't know you've been watching him for a long time - as long as you don't let that on to him, you'll just be someone who's seen him around and likes the view!

See my friends are like that, they can talk to ANYONE, but I'm a very nervous person.

If only confidence grew on trees :biggrin: Just remember, you don't want to live to regret not making a move with someone. Even though I'm happily in a relationship now, I've always regretting not making a move on someone I liked for two years of uni (I was in relationships but still couldn't shake my feelings for her). If this guy seems so perfect, he's worth the risk and if it doesn't work out, at least you've tried.

Maybe. I could get wasted and ask him :awesome:

P.S. Bad idea! You'll probably end up saying things in ways that you probably shouldn't.
Reply 17
Original post by Tomby1
It's not that creepy, really. You see a guy you like, you talk to him. He doesn't know you've been watching him for a long time - as long as you don't let that on to him, you'll just be someone who's seen him around and likes the view!

Exactly. A lot of guys would do the same if a girl they liked the look of added them on Facebook.

It's not been a long time really, I've only recently moved here and only realised I liked him when I started seeing him around town. :redface: It's not like I've built a shrine or anything.

If only confidence grew on trees :biggrin: Just remember, you don't want to live to regret not making a move with someone. Even though I'm happily in a relationship now, I've always regretting not making a move on someone I liked for two years of uni (I was in relationships but still couldn't shake my feelings for her). If this guy seems so perfect, he's worth the risk and if it doesn't work out, at least you've tried.

Great response. :biggrin: If only there were more like you on TSR.

P.S. Bad idea! You'll probably end up saying things in ways that you probably shouldn't.

True, but I feel braver with alcohol :colondollar:
Reply 18

Great response. :biggrin: If only there were more like you on TSR.

If you want any more 'help' (I like to pretend I'm not totally useless :wink:) than feel free to PM me. If not, good luck :biggrin: .. but thanks!

True, but I feel braver with alcohol :colondollar:

Maybe true, but you'll feel a hell of a lot better when you achieve what you want without alcohol :smile:
Reply 19
you could start talking to him on facebook chat first, make things a bit more familiar between you two

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending