The Student Room Group

Casual sex is a con: women just aren't like men.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
True! Sounds much better when it comes from a women rather than me. +1
Original post by bhonfranco
hey men have feelings too!

Haha, bless.
Original post by Bobifier
Did you actually read any of the thread, or did you just post some sarcastic platitude about casual sex?

Reply 23
If that article is true, unbiased, and not written from a feminist perspective *cough*referencetoGermaineGreer*cough*, then the pope doesn't rape children.
Reply 24

Original post by coca
I don't think you can generalise a whole gender.

You're absolutely right. Although I'm not sure having a computer in the kitchen is good for it. The fumes, y'know.
Reply 25
Original post by LawQueen
Hmm I don't know. I've had two one night stands in the past two weeks and I don't want a relationship with either or in general, was just stressed with work and a good shag tends to make me feel better.

Ah, you used to be so chaste.
It wasn't right for her so she decides that it isn't right for any woman... um... no. Not all women are the same.
Reply 27
Reply 28
To all the people saying some women do have high sex drives as though that disproves this article...what are you talking about? I don't think she's saying women DON'T have high sex drives, but that if they act on them with loads of different men they won't feel good emotionally. In other words, a high sex drive does not necessarily go hand in hand with sleeping around.
Reply 29
Original post by Luceria
I love when people generalise 3 billion people. A lot of women have a very high sex drive.
Depends on the person.

What's your point ? Doesn't mean it's emotionally healthy to act on that high sex drive. Some men are more angry than others does it mean it's healthy for them to get in fights ?

I've been researching psychosexuality for 3 years reading journals etc. with gender differences included. Don't you think I wish that the conclusion could be "women should have as much sex as men and should have sex drives as high as them" ? I'm a guy I'd love that to be the case but it's not. Women and men are different, on the emotional level they process sex, in terms of the sex hormones they produce and also evolutionary constraints have led to women becoming different (If a woman was promiscuous years ago she would not of been seen as mating material whereas it wouldn't of mattered for men).

Trust me I wish I could be arguing for the opposite but I'm very interested in stuff like that and all the research I've read points to men and women being different in terms of sex. If a woman and a man both go to a psychiatrist and complain about hypersexuality, it is a bigger concern in the woman (although still a concern in the man)

The neg I get from this one should be interesting.
Reply 30
Original post by Miss Behaving
Haha, bless.

:frown:
Reply 31
Original post by Kickflip

Original post by Kickflip
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2092-2545852_2,00.html

There is much truth in this article. I had t post it all because the Times website is now locked out.

The people who are negging you are disgusting.

True post is true. We are not the same. Many women are forced into thinking that they are supposed to have casual sex due to our patriarchal society. It is awful.

Good on you OP.
Reply 32
That was a long read. I will sum it up for everyone as concisely as possible:

"Closet Bridget Jones tries to be right on hippie and fails and watches too much Sex in the City."

Big deal. There are plenty of women who aren't like her.
Wow people actually read that
This really annoys me. She doesn't enjoy casual sex so therefore no women enjoy casual sex.

I know women who are saving themselves for marriage, women who will only have sex in relationships, women who have no desire for a committed relationship at all, women who will sleep with anyone to boost their self-esteem, women who will sleep with anyone because they enjoy sex...a multitude of females with different attitudes towards sex. This article is taking the women who do not enjoy casual, no-strings-attached-sex - probably the largest group, to be fair - and saying all women are like that.

Thanks for that. Screw respecting everybody's unique and individual attitudes towards sex; let's just make a huge sweeping statement about how women are actually all the same. Really helping the cause of feminism, there.

This kind of article is one of the many reasons why I will no longer read The Times.
Reply 35
Who are you to generalise and stereotype women?

I know more women who like casual sex than those who don't.
Reply 36
Original post by Profesh
Ah, you used to be so chaste.

We've all been there!
Reply 37
Original post by Steevee
Umm. No? I don't know who they are, or their subject matter. Are they Feminist literature?

Foucault is a philosopher who has written a lot on all sorts of things from ethics, medicine to terrorism. Think he's most famous for a book of his lectures called "The Birth of Biopolitics" which is good for a neoliberalist style writing. Don't know how it's related to feminism though.

Quick Reply

Latest