Then We Could pick 3 more subjects
i chose
History
R.S
And Drama
and my Reserve is Geography

are these good or bad choices iyo?
Reply 1
What do you want to do when your older? GCSE options are generally more for doing subjects you enjoy, it is the AS level choices that really matter.
It depends on what you enjoy doing, dont get to het up on what is good or bad, just go with what interests you. Plenty of time in the future to think about good/bad A levels or Degrees =]
Reply 3
Original post by Mythical
I Chose my options a few days ago but can still change them
We had to do
English
Maths
a Science (i chose Additional)
I.T
and a Language (i chose Spanish)

Then We Could pick 3 more subjects
i chose
History
R.S
And Drama
and my Reserve is Geography

are these good or bad choices iyo?

if you dont mind me asking, why religious studies?
Reply 4
Original post by A.Keating
if you dont mind me asking, why religious studies?

Because i find it sooo interesting, and its like my favourite lesson after History xD
Reply 5
Because i find it sooo interesting, and its like my favourite lesson after History xD

kewl, i asked because i HATE it... i know not everyone hates it but yeah just wondering
It doesn't really matter what you do at GCSE, you don't need and specific subjects for college. Only your grades count.
If you enjoy those subjects, they're good choices. If I were you though, I'd do geography instead of drama because, imo, it's more useful and supposed to be easier than drama.
Reply 7
They're fine.
GCSE options are not important. Like someone else said, it's more about taking what you enjoy.
Reply 8
Good.

Although I think there should be a third option: immaterial.
Reply 9
I'd say geography instead of drama. I absolutely love drama, but I do it in my spare time and that looks better to have that and an extra academic GCSE like geography (which is massively easy to get an A/A* in) than just GCSE Drama. My friend has actually been on TV, and is part of an acting agency, she is an amazing actress but got a B at GCSE level, because it isn't like real acting and it's very hard to attain an A* ( plus it's perceived as a "soft subject" )
Reply 10
I think that's a great selection of choices:smile:
drama is seen as a bit of a 'weaker' subject and some people on here will tell you not to do it, however, cos all your other subjects are so strong i think it's great to have a subject like that that's a bit different. It breaks up your others so you're not writing all the time:biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by lexy
I'd say geography, that looks better to have that and an extra academic GCSE like geography

No one will look at their GCSE's and discard them because they did drama, this is utter ****. OP, just do whatever you enjoy, as long as you have one humanity it really doesn't matter.
Reply 12
Original post by tateco

Original post by tateco
No one will look at their GCSE's and discard them because they did drama, this is utter ****. OP, just do whatever you enjoy, as long as you have one humanity it really doesn't matter.

That's not true, if you're aiming for top universities such as Oxbridge, Durham etc then they look right back to GCSE's, although I didn't say anything about being discarded because of having chosen GCSE Drama? I just explained my view that geography is more academic and is, in my opinion, a lot easier to do well in than drama. It also effects what college you get into, if you're heart is set on doing drama and you think you could do well in it then go for it! But don't end up regretting it like so many people have.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by lexy
That's not true, if you're aiming for top universities such as Oxbridge, Durham etc then they look right back to GCSE's, although I didn't say anything about being discarded because of having chosen GCSE Drama? I just explained my view that geography is more academic and is, in my opinion, a lot easier to do well in than drama. It also effects what college you get into, if you're heart is set on doing drama and you think you could do well in it then go for it! But don't end up regretting it like so many people have.

Yes, oxbridge do look back at your GCSE's, your GCSE GRADES, not the subjects you chose!

SAME!!! Omg, everyone looks at me weird at school if i tell them that law and re are my fave subjects :smile:

i think you picked wisely :smile:
i also picked gcses i knew i would excel in to get my desired college places :smile:

geography
german
law
textiles
btec sport
:smile: x
I took: Geography, History and French :smile:

Core PE and full course RE was compulsory at my school, although I don't like them much :frown:
:smile:
Reply 17
Original post by tateco

Original post by tateco
Yes, oxbridge do look back at your GCSE's, your GCSE GRADES, not the subjects you chose!

They don't just look at your grades, I visited Cambridge on a subject talk associated with GCSE's before I chose mine, and I can promise you subjects chosen at GCSE are taken into account. They may have little impact on your chances of getting into a top university, but GCSE subject choices are not completely irrelevant, which is what you're implying
Reply 18
Original post by lexy
They don't just look at your grades, I visited Cambridge on a subject talk associated with GCSE's before I chose mine, and I can promise you subjects chosen at GCSE are taken into account. They may have little impact on your chances of getting into a top university, but GCSE subject choices are not completely irrelevant, which is what you're implying

*sigh* :facepalm:

Quick Reply

Latest