The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by secretmessages
What could be the reasons for my Internet's "data transmitted" amount being higher than the "data received"? Apart from the obvious responses such as 'you're uploading more than you're downloading' - what could actually use that much?

Online backup service? A virus using your computer as a mail server?

Both of those would consume significant traffic. Maybe use netlimiter monitor to identify the process if on windows.
Original post by Chrosson

Original post by Mad Vlad
What you seeding? :colone:

:hmmm: I'm not, though my housemates could be the cause :holmes: Didn't think they were the type really.

Online backup service? A virus using your computer as a mail server?

Both of those would consume significant traffic. Maybe use netlimiter monitor to identify the process if on windows.

I'm on Ubuntu but have access to a Windows machine. I assume this thing will only work for the computer I'm on rather than the entire network?
:hmmm: I'm not, though my housemates could be the cause :holmes: Didn't think they were the type really.

I'm on Ubuntu but have access to a Windows machine. I assume this thing will only work for the computer I'm on rather than the entire network?

Correct.

What router do you have?

Correct.

What router do you have?

A standard BT HomeHub v2
A standard BT HomeHub v2

Fail. Had it been a lovely Linksys one, you could have installed some custom firmware like DD-WRT, which is excellent and would have told you immediately where the bandwidth drain was coming from. :colone:
Fail. Had it been a lovely Linksys one, you could have installed some custom firmware like DD-WRT, which is excellent and would have told you immediately where the bandwidth drain was coming from. :colone:

I've spent the past 2 days trying to play with a brand new buffalo WZR hp 300nh (which even ships with dd as standard) and it is less reliable than a ****ty netgear I got off of ebay for £15 and flashed myself (both experience network drops (apparently this is due to the VM 'super' hub downstairs and its dislike of some network devices, resulting in it accidentally DOSing things) however the netgear copes much better in these adverse conditions than the buffalo).

infact I'm considering sending it back to amazon, it's less reliable and has worse signal than the netgear, despite having two thumping great antennas and a far better spec (including 1xUSB :love: and rated at 300Mbps and gigabit ports over the netgears 150Mbps and 10/100)

Sounds sneaky :colone: I think my main concern is working out whether or not it's me who is (unintentionally) transmitting a lot of data or someone else, and if it's someone else I don't care :p:
Sounds sneaky :colone: I think my main concern is working out whether or not it's me who is (unintentionally) transmitting a lot of data or someone else, and if it's someone else I don't care :p:

Just do the basic checks:
Hijackthis and in a command line do: netstat -abn to look for rogue processes.
Then install a bandwidth monitor like netlimiter to measure your data.
Reply 8728
Original post by gamer91
I've spent the past 2 days trying to play with a brand new buffalo WZR hp 300nh (which even ships with dd as standard) and it is less reliable than a ****ty netgear I got off of ebay for £15 and flashed myself (both experience network drops (apparently this is due to the VM 'super' hub downstairs and its dislike of some network devices, resulting in it accidentally DOSing things) however the netgear copes much better in these adverse conditions than the buffalo).

infact I'm considering sending it back to amazon, it's less reliable and has worse signal than the netgear, despite having two thumping great antennas and a far better spec (including 1xUSB :love: and rated at 300Mbps and gigabit ports over the netgears 150Mbps and 10/100)

Aren't Buffalo the ones that refuse to provide any x64 drivers for their products, because 64-bit isn't future-proof enough or something?
Original post by Dez
Aren't Buffalo the ones that refuse to provide any x64 drivers for their products, because 64-bit isn't future-proof enough or something?

I wouldn't be surprised, although as I only have a router I don't really know.

:facepalm2: Oh dear...

sounds like he accidentally his whole photo album.
Original post by gamer91
sounds like he accidentally his whole photo album.

http://www.sadtrombone.com/

tis gone
Original post by alexsheppard11
tis gone

I ****canned it as it was a troll.
I wish there was a way to split Internet connection speed evenly between its users :colonhash: As soon as someone else starts streaming, I can't even load the most basic of pages :colonhash:
I wish there was a way to split Internet connection speed evenly between its users :colonhash: As soon as someone else starts streaming, I can't even load the most basic of pages :colonhash:

Quality.
Of.
Service.

Quality.
Of.
Service.

Though a BT HomeHub? :sly:
Though a BT HomeHub? :sly:

http://goo.gl/RQZs3