The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by -honeybee-
What issue are you referring to? :confused:

Money issues, managing to support a family and make ends meet. More generally, we all struggle to cope with daily life sometimes and some of us are too scared to ask for help. I think that's what the episode highlighted.
Original post by daveywavey
Money issues, managing to support a family and make ends meet. More generally, we all struggle to cope with daily life sometimes and some of us are too scared to ask for help. I think that's what the episode highlighted.

I don't think that does affect 'most' people though. Heather's case is quite extreme and I doubt many people, let alone a majority have been in that situation. As for being too scared to ask for help, don't you believe she should put the needs of her son before her own? I think what makes her lose even more sympathy is that she was offered help in a non-embarassing way (Patrick giving her £20) and she was too stupid to accept it for what it was after wasting some of it within minutes of being given it!
Original post by -honeybee-
I don't think that does affect 'most' people though. Heather's case is quite extreme and I doubt many people, let alone a majority have been in that situation. As for being too scared to ask for help, don't you believe she should put the needs of her son before her own? I think what makes her lose even more sympathy is that she was offered help in a non-embarassing way (Patrick giving her £20) and she was too stupid to accept it for what it was after wasting some of it within minutes of being given it!

We'll have to agree to disagree then, but I thought it was a realistic story for EastEnders to do and most viewers would be able to relate Heather in a small way. She's a very human character. I don't think viewers would have to be in the exact same situation as Heather in order to relate to her and empathise with her.

I meant being too scared to ask for help with George. She's struggling to cope as a mother. Asking for some support would benefit her son as well as herself.
(edited 13 years ago)
We'll have to agree to disagree then, but I thought it was a realistic story for EastEnders to do and most viewers would be able to relate Heather in a small way. She's a very human character. I don't think viewers would have to be in the exact same situation as Heather in order to relate to her and empathise with her.

I meant being too scared to ask for help with George. She's struggling to cope as a mother. Asking for some support would benefit her son as well as herself.

I see where you're coming from and I think it could have been a good/realistic storyline but it hasn't been explained how Heather has got into her situation other than 'she has no money'. I think this makes it unrealistic because, as a lot of other people have said, she has 2 jobs and likely claims some kind of benefits! Out of interest, do you think Darren is right to take George until Heather sorts herself out?

:rofl:

Its realistic to show some one prepared to steal milk (Shirley) and money (Dot) from two people who have been the most supportive to her. Then to refuse veg from another equally supportive friend (Billy) 2mins later? then show her desperate for food for her child and self, only to give food (chocolates) to some one else first? (Dot)

Maybe people act like that, still doesn't help but make heather the character look very pathetic.
Original post by Reformed2010
Its realistic to show some one prepared to steal milk (Shirley) and money (Dot) from two people who have been the most supportive to her. Then to refuse veg from another equally supportive friend (Billy) 2mins later? then show her desperate for food for her child and self, only to give food (chocolates) to some one else first? (Dot)

Maybe people act like that, still doesn't help but make heather the character look very pathetic.

And don't forget putting the change from the chocolate back in the till presumably because she's too proud to accept Patrick's charity but she has absolutely no problems whatsoever trying to steal from an elderly woman who has been nothing but kind to her. Certainly not realistic and it doesn't really make me want to sympathise with her.
Some people are looking way too deep into Heather's problems.
Reply 6648
:rofl: at Patrick using the smallest scissors known to man to cut that ribbon.
Original post by Roobsa
:rofl: at Patrick using the smallest scissors known to man to cut that ribbon.

Haha, took about 3 snips didn't it
Cor Janine is such a biatch...
Only caught the last couple of minutes - looking forward to seeing what they do with that guy. Should be interesting.
Intrigued by Janine, she was at her devastating evilish bests.

Spoiler

Original post by Aky786UK

Spoiler

O Rly?:hubba:
Reply 6653
Can some kind person give me moar updates
I wonder where Kim got the money to do that place up as a B+B, particularly bearing in mind she spent money she didn't have on the party alone! I mean I know it was a b+b before but surely there was still stuff to be done.
And did they (i.e. patrick) actually own the next-door house before as part of the original, old b+b? Cos how could they have afforded that?
Confuuuused :confused:!
Original post by Duck and Cover
I wonder where Kim got the money to do that place up as a B+B, particularly bearing in mind she spent money she didn't have on the party alone! I mean I know it was a b+b before but surely there was still stuff to be done.
And did they (i.e. patrick) actually own the next-door house before as part of the original, old b+b? Cos how could they have afforded that?

More confusing is where the hell does Janine get the money from to pay the rent since she doesn't work?
Reply 6656

She got it from her divorce settlement.

P pofarty me was hoping heather would die, its getting painful to watch her.

And no the story line isn't realistic, a single mum of one child with three jobs and only renting a place would not get in that situation.

Heck my mum has one job, for kids and a tonnes of bills (mortgage being one).
I love how evil Janine is!!

I think Patrick got the house when his ex-wife died. He moved in with the two sons - Paul & Antony - and when they left [one died, one moved out] he stayed on in the house... :/
But what about the house next door?

Latest