The Student Room Group

10% of 'British' children are now mixed race

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Studentrepreneur
It was Northern European.

Gary Bushell and Margaret Thatcher's daughter were involved. It is on youtube if you so care to search for it.

That was it!:biggrin:
Original post by Kickflip
forced to nurture the death of their own bloodline. We are merely the temporary occupants of our genes, thousands of years of our ancestors lived, loved, struggled and died to pass that genetic inheritance on to us.

Can you please explain what a bloodline is?

Why is it ending anything? Why is it any different to mixing hair colour or height? Or picking your partner based on their susceptibility to colds? These are all things in your genetic make-up you are mixing (or have already mixed, much like this "bloodline") What about blood types, why are all these things which define us genetically of no issue to you.

Skin colour is only an issue as you can see it, imagine you were blind, why aren't any of the above point an issue in the "bloodline" destruction?
I was talking to my mum about this the other day as a lot of my wider family (who I don't talk to) are very racist. As far as I understand the world has developed by people from one area/country discovering or moving to another area or country. My name, for example is linked to the USA and New Zealand so I would imagine some of my ancestors came from those areas. In that sense the whole world is mixed race, that's how the human race and civilisation develops-we probably all have skills and strengths in different areas which are just developed more the more we come together. People are only noticing mixed race people more now because maybe Asians and black people are in relationships with white people more than ever before, it didn't use to be acceptable to be with someone outside your race or colour. It's happened since time began!!
Original post by e hine e
I was talking to my mum about this the other day as a lot of my wider family (who I don't talk to) are very racist. As far as I understand the world has developed by people from one area/country discovering or moving to another area or country. My name, for example is linked to the USA and New Zealand so I would imagine some of my ancestors came from those areas. In that sense the whole world is mixed race, that's how the human race and civilisation develops-we probably all have skills and strengths in different areas which are just developed more the more we come together. People are only noticing mixed race people more now because maybe Asians and black people are in relationships with white people more than ever before, it didn't use to be acceptable to be with someone outside your race or colour. It's happened since time began!!

Is that you in your sig?:eek:
Original post by milkytea
**** off OP

To satisfy your interest, yes I am actually mixed race - half English and half Irish - but I'm white, so you probably wouldn't care.

Are you actually joking? :curious:

Yes, being half North European and half North European is really mixed race..
Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo
Are you actually joking? :curious:

Yes, being half North European and half North European is really mixed race..

It's only a matter of degree. Racial deliniation is basically arbitrary.
Original post by Studentrepreneur
By that logic slavery where blacks own whites is acceptable because we did it to them?

Way to miss the point. There are moral issues i.e. slavery vs fear of what's different i.e. Britain becoming more mixed

Will whites (when they are the minority) receive free educations like people of clear native american ancestry do today? Is that fair?

Why wouldn't they? I hardly doubt that as soon as the percentage of mixed/coloured people in Britain goes over 50% they're all suddenly going to turn insanely racist and deny whites education etc just because they are white.

According to who?

According to me, fool. Is it absolutely necessary to put "in my opinion" before/after everything I put that's an opinion? Because if you want to take opinion as fact then you go right ahead and do it, but that will be because of your own idiocy.

k.

What an absolutely amazing, insightful, succinct point you have there.
Go back to texting your facebook GF.

Not a white supremacist. Just a realist that recognises the danger of a rapidly ethnic-changing population.

10% is rapid considering the amount of immigrants and the amount of years it's been happening?
And what dangers would these be?

I see that two people of the same ethnicity being together offends you. Sorry to hear that.

Yes, because my parents being together affects me grievously :rolleyes:
As is clearly obvious, what pisses me off is people who can't look past race/ethnicity and who think that being one arbitrarily makes one superior.
Misunderstanding isn't a form of argument and is immensly childish. Please do grow up before replying.

Kthxb
i

Have fun.
Original post by littleshambles
It's only a matter of degree. Racial deliniation is basically arbitrary.

No, it really isn't.
Reply 188
Original post by Elipsis

Chicken Burger?

this is what I was thinking...

There is only one solution!!!!
I have Irish, American, Welsh, English, French & German in me yet I'm considered White British. Nobody is 'pure' WB.
I'm mixed white and Chinese, so the **** what?
Original post by BritishRose
I have Irish, American, Welsh, English, French & German in me yet I'm considered White British. Nobody is 'pure' WB.

Well you are white and you are British, what do you expect? :rolleyes:

I don't know if people would consider you English though, that's something else..
No, it really isn't.

I would say it is. Wait perhaps 5 decades, give or take a few, and today's minorities will no longer be regarded as tomorrow's.
Original post by Ilustrius
I would say it is. Wait perhaps 5 decades, give or take a few, and today's minorities will no longer be regarded as tomorrow's.

Who cares about the future? Right now, 2011, it is erroneous to say that Racial identities are arbitrary.. they're not at all.
Who cares about the future? Right now, 2011, it is erroneous to say that Racial identities are arbitrary.. they're not at all.

Who cares about the future? Many people do. I certainly do. 'Arbitrary' constitutes a function of time, so yes Racial delineation is arbitrary. It's going to improve, and has done so over the past centuries. Delineation and identification are entirely different things. We're talking from a social perspective. Yes identification is going to continue e.g. for medical purposes, but as a social stigma, I'm optimistic that it'll improve. Trends reflect this. Of course there will be fluctuations, but the general trend is a positive one.
(edited 13 years ago)
No, it really isn't.

... Yes it really is?

I did not say that racial identities were arbitrary. I said racial delineation is arbitrary. Which it is. There are no objective sharp biological cut offs between "races".
Reply 196
No, it really isn't.

Yeah, it is. Doubts over biological racial categorisation were around even at the end of the nineteenth-century but it was across the twentieth that the tables really turned against this particular aspect of the Victorian desire to categorise everything. The science of genetics in particular demonstrated the 'non-coterminus' and clinal nature of human geographic variation, i.e. its 'fuzziness'. Even if we don't have much interest in studying the science we only have to look at the extent to which geographic populations vary (whether in observable or unobservable characteristics) within Africa to see that grouping Africans as a 'race' is problematic. Other than that we might ask ourselves: at what point, geographically, do we decide a 'European' starts to look 'Chinese' and, moreover, why isn't the point somewhere in the middle a 'race' either?

Here's the shortest scientific paper I can find (people don't like to read long ones) which discusses the problems of the biological race concept. It's a little technical in parts but there is a helpful summary box in plain language.
Original post by littleshambles
... Yes it really is?

I did not say that racial identities were arbitrary. I said racial delineation is arbitrary. Which it is. There are no objective sharp biological cut offs between "races".

Good point!

I found this on wiki:

"While scientists use the concept of race to make practical distinctions among fuzzy sets of traits, the scientific community feels that the idea of race is often used by the general public in a naive or simplistic way, erroneously designating wholly discrete types of individuals. Among humans, race has no cladistic significance—all people belong to the same hominid subspecies, Homo sapiens sapiens. Regardless of the extent to which race exists, the word "race" is problematic and may carry negative connotations. Social conceptions and groupings of races vary over time, involving folk taxonomies that define essential types of individuals based on perceived sets of traits. Scientists consider biological essentialism obsolete, and generally discourage racial explanations for collective differentiation in both physical and behavioral traits.

As people define and put about different conceptions of race, they actively create contrasting social realities through which racial categorization is achieved in varied ways.[15] In this sense, races are said to be social constructs. These constructs can develop within various legal, economic, and sociopolitical contexts, and at times may be the effect, rather than the cause, of major social situations. Socioecomonic factors, in combination with early but enduring views of race, have led to considerable suffering amongst the disadvantaged racial groups. Scholars continue to debate the degrees to which racial categories are biologically warranted and socially constructed, as well as the extent to which the realities of race must be acknowledged in order for society to comprehend and address racism adequately."
The central thesis of IQ and the Wealth of Nations is that the average IQ of a nation correlates with its GDP. Below is a scatter plot with Lynn and Vanhanen's calculated IQ values (without estimates) and GDP data. There is a clear correlation between ethnicity/nationality and IQ, and between IQ and GDP. Is Hong Kong full of skyscrapers? Is Africa full of tin huts?

Even if you take IQ levels as a measure of intelligence (which is questionable) and even if you assume the study was reliable...erm, like the top IQ nations were all...yellow Asian.

Following your logic, would it really be so bad for whites to mix with yellow Asians?? Given that your posts show that certain yellow Asians have the highest IQs?

Your white is right mentality contradicts itself.

If IQ is so related to £££, why is the USA at 22?

There are many factors affecting IQ and wealth. Read some history books.
To use the dog analogy: You cross two closely-related breeds like Bernese Mountain Dogs and Newfoundlanders and you get a result that is higher than the previous, by virtue of hybrid vigour. You cross a Bernese Mountain Dog with a Poodle and you won't get such balanced results. You'll still technically have hybrid vigour to some extent but you're not going to get balanced traits by virtue of the distance of the gene pools.

Back on the human scale, there should be a natural defense mechanism within us both to not go too close and not go too far. Marrying someone from the same village was hardly commonplace even several centuries ago, but from a different village in the same region was the common arrangement. Within the middle-classes it was also commonplace to extend this to the neighbouring region.

When choosing a suitable partner, because there are also cultural/ethnic implications, for English people the Protestant Germanic bracket (English, Dutch, Skandanavia, Germany etc) is a good one to go by. If you are Germanic, you should find you are instinctively attracted to people in the Protestant Germanic bracket anyway.

It is clear that you have a limited understanding of basic biology, history and genetics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending