The Student Room Group

Sociology

Poll

Is sociology an important subject that should be offered at GCSE?

Next year, my school is removing sociology from the GCSE curriculum. New government guidelines mean that History OR Geography must be an option, therefore leaving no room in the curriculum for GCSE sociology. Many students are outraged at this, and so we have decided to campaign against this. Therefore, if you feel sociology is an important option for the GCSE curiculum, or have even considered taken sociology at GCSE please reply with yes. If you just feel that sociology should be offered at GCSE, reply, YES! ( I am also using this towards my Citizenship GCSE so if ou could please comment, and vote nicely :wink:)
Thank You.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
I did Sociology for A levels & it inspired me to become a Sociology teacher! I think it's an amazing subject & you learn a lot from it! So I disagree with the fact it has been removed. Socio ftw :cool:
Reply 2
Original post by iCattie

Original post by iCattie
I did Sociology for A levels & it inspired me to become a Sociology teacher! I think it's an amazing subject & you learn a lot from it! So I disagree with the fact it has been removed. Socio ftw :cool:

make sure you vote! :wink: thank you very much :smile:
In a perfect world, schools would be able to offer all the GCSE subjects possible... but that's not going to happen.

I did Humanities at GCSE; a widely taught, very good alternative/stepping stone to Sociology.
Reply 4
Original post by ellakrystina
In a perfect world, schools would be able to offer all the GCSE subjects possible... but that's not going to happen.

I did Humanities at GCSE; a widely taught, very good alternative/stepping stone to Sociology.

I agree with this. Sociology A level is taught on the basis that it won't have been studied at GCSE (unlike other a levels that require previous knowledge) so perhaps it is not necessary at GCSE level.
Reply 5
This is true. The problem is that not everyone wants to take academic subjects, so removing sociology from the curriculum, removes the option of a GCSE for less academic students. We have the resources and everything, the thing is, they are trying to make History and Geography lessons more frequent, other than they are now.
(edited 13 years ago)
I don't think it's that important. I do it and it's so boring. I haven't learnt anything, it's just obvious stuff, Imo.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending