The Student Room Group

Girls...will epilating chin hair make them thicker? I FEEL LIKE A HAIRY BEAST!

I have chin hair, i'm asian so it's dark i guess. i used ot bleach it but it was still there...then i would tweeze those which didnt get bleached. and now, those hairs are thicker. i feel lik a hairy beast. my mum bough be a epliator and on the box it says it can be used on face, cheeks, upper lip etc... so if i used it on chin hair, would it grow worse? how do i get rid of the thicker chin hairs which came from tweezing..they feel like theyve been shaved! (apart from electrolysis or laser)I epilated some of my chin hair, but then stopped. wha will happen if i epliate chin hair? will they come thicker?

Scroll to see replies

erm.. :lolwut:
Reply 2
grow a beard
Wax it?
Ignore some of the stupid replies above.
I don't think epilating would make them grow back thicker because it's kinda like waxing in the way it pulls the hair from the root. I'd imagine to hurt though so you might want to take a paracetamol half an hour beforehand. If you can brave the pain it's probably the only way (shaving would make it appear thicker though. I used to bite the hair off the back of my hand and now the small area looks noticeably darker in terms of hair colour and thickness than the rest of my skin).
Reply 5
No. Waxing/ epilation makes your hair thinner over time.
girl or guy?
Reply 7
It won't make it thicker, but shaving will. Don't shave.
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
I have chin hair, i'm asian so it's dark i guess. i used ot bleach it but it was still there...then i would tweeze those which didnt get bleached. and now, those hairs are thicker. i feel lik a hairy beast. my mum bough be a epliator and on the box it says it can be used on face, cheeks, upper lip etc... so if i used it on chin hair, would it grow worse? how do i get rid of the thicker chin hairs which came from tweezing..they feel like theyve been shaved! (apart from electrolysis or laser)I epilated some of my chin hair, but then stopped. wha will happen if i epliate chin hair? will they come thicker?

I'm a girl BTW.
Reply 9
I'm not sure about epilating, never done it so have no idea whether it will make it thicker or not.

DON'T SHAVE IT

As others have mentioned wax it or you could thread it. Threading is very easy to do :smile:

Also was it very noticeable when bleached? I only ask because I remember this asian girl I went to school with and she used to bleach her upper lip. You couldn't really tell she had a moustache (unless you went extremely close to her face) but the moment she bleached it, it became instantly noticeable and she just looked like she had an ultra-furry ginger moustache :lolwut:
Reply 10
Original post by Rainbow-Dream
Ignore some of the stupid replies above.
I don't think epilating would make them grow back thicker because it's kinda like waxing in the way it pulls the hair from the root. I'd imagine to hurt though so you might want to take a paracetamol half an hour beforehand. If you can brave the pain it's probably the only way (shaving would make it appear thicker though. I used to bite the hair off the back of my hand and now the small area looks noticeably darker in terms of hair colour and thickness than the rest of my skin).

just eplilated my chin, feels soo much smoother XD
Reply 11
Original post by 7887
I'm not sure about epilating, never done it so have no idea whether it will make it thicker or not.

DON'T SHAVE IT

As others have mentioned wax it or you could thread it. Threading is very easy to do :smile:

Also was it very noticeable when bleached? I only ask because I remember this asian girl I went to school with and she used to bleach her upper lip. You couldn't really tell she had a moustache (unless you went extremely close to her face) but the moment she bleached it, it became instantly noticeable and she just looked like she had an ultra-furry ginger moustache :lolwut:

Not that noticable...My bf didn't even realise i had hair there, untill he felt it! in light you could see it! even then people just htought i had light hair:P i never did my upper lip, i just thread that.

And i did thread my chin hair, but the ones i had plucked still came back darker :/
Reply 12
It shouldn't. Even shaving doesn't make the hair "thicker" as such, but because your not taking the hair from the roots it's just coming up as a half-cut hair, as oppose to a new hair, thus not being as thin at the end. So epilating shouldn't make it come out thicker! Best of luck x
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by 7887

:laugh:
Reply 14
Original post by iCattie
It shouldn't. Even shaking doesn't make the hair "thicker" as such, but because your not taking the hair from the roots it's just coming up as a half-cut hair, as oppose to a new hair, thus not being as thin at the end. So epilating shouldn't make it come out thicker! Best of luck x

I don't 'shake' my hair..
But on the other hand..the hair on my head? I WHIP IT BACK AND FORTH!
just eplilated my chin, feels soo much smoother XD

How would you compare it to waxing? (If you've tried it). I have hair on the sides of my face (kinda like sideburns) and it's not that noticeable but I'd like to get rid of it nonetheless. :redface:
Reply 16
I don't 'shake' my hair..
But on the other hand..the hair on my head? I WHIP IT BACK AND FORTH!

Ah your missing out dude.
Lol, I wish I didn't shave.
Thing is, my beard grown on 1 side of my chin and not the other.
After you shave it looks thicker and grows faster, so now I'll get a small jungle of hair next to an arid desert of none, pretty sharpish :tongue:

Anyway, an epilator seems like a pretty good idea, might try that myself.
Waxing and epilation will make your hairs thinner, as long as you don't shave in between sessions. I wouldn't epilate your face as it'll really hurt.

My Asian friend gets her upper lip hair threaded, try that.
Original post by ellakrystina
My Asian friend gets her upper lip hair threaded, try that.

That sounds ubelievably painful. All I can imagine by that is sewing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending