The Student Room Group

Are all ex-polys seen as bad on here?

I'm just wondering because I see a lot of posts about maybe London Met or TVU being really bad universities and some strong arguments to suggest this but the course I want to do (Quantity Surveying) for my chosen career (Quantity Surveyor) is only done at ex-polys. So really I have no choice if I want to be a QS about going to ex-polys but a few people in my school have looked down on me for this. So basically are all ex-polys viewed as equally bad? The three universities that interest me the most are Leeds Met, Sheffield Hallam and Salford. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Once, I was writing in a "what university do you go to" thread... I got about 30 neg reps for mine :| Says it all about TSR :biggrin: Needless to say I keep it to myself these days.
It's TSR.
Reply 3
I don't think so. Dundee uni used to be a polytechnic but it's rated as one of the best in Britain for medicine. Some people probably have some sort of prejudice against uni's that aren't 5 gazzilion years old, but these people are just up their own arse
Reply 4
on here - Yes. In reality there are a lot of really courses courses out there operating in ex-polys.

...and of course, an ex poly has received the most UCAS applications of any UK university, so it appears that 58k+ applicants don't go along with the party line here.
No, Nottingham Trent and Oxford Brookes are decent ex-polys amongst others. Some are quite heavily humanites based though which doesn't bode well for them when the cuts come in.
I think if you take the age of an institution (when it became a University rather) and compare it to its average ranking in the guides you will see that there is a strong correlation between the two.

The Robert Gordon University for instance avoids doing too many Disney Studies type courses and has excellent job prospects and teaching standards for its mostly vocational courses.

This is an example of a good ex poly that should be higher in the rankings than what it is.

Why negged for this? I don't get it, how is this worthy of a neg, I'm not insulting anything. Strange people.

Is anyone going to say why this is getting negged?

What I'm saying is that there is a correlation between how long an institution has been a university and where it lies in the ranking tables and this shows a perceived bias towards older institutions whether they are deserved or not. How is this offensive?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by KCosmo
Dundee uni used to be a polytechnic

No it didn't. Dundee was a sort of branch campus of St Andrews in the same way Newcastle was of Durham.
Does it matter? You honestly think someone of TSR will be your future employer? They will still be on here going on about their amazing red brick uni, whilst your off making mega wonga!
Original post by KCosmo
I don't think so. Dundee uni used to be a polytechnic but it's rated as one of the best in Britain for medicine. Some people probably have some sort of prejudice against uni's that aren't 5 gazzilion years old, but these people are just up their own arse

Eh no. Dundee was never a poly, it was part of St Andrews before it became independent in the 60's.

Abertay in Dundee is the ex poly.

Negged for this! I know I'm pretty new around here but WTF is this all about? Why don't people just quote you and tell you why you're wrong? What is with all the neg?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by nulli tertius
No it didn't. Dundee was a sort of branch campus of St Andrews in the same way Newcastle was of Durham.

I'm too slow :frown:
Reply 11
On here there are some people who would rather cut their arm off than go to an ex-poly, but TSR does not represent the real world.
Original post by Mythic Madness
the course I want to do (Quantity Surveying) for my chosen career (Quantity Surveyor) is only done at ex-polys. The three universities that interest me the most are Leeds Met, Sheffield Hallam and Salford. :smile:

Salford isn't an ex-poly. It is a Robbins (plate glass) university along with Warwick Bath and East Anglia.
Original post by nulli tertius
Salford isn't an ex-poly. It is a Robbins (plate glass) university along with Warwick Bath and East Anglia.

Ah right. I haven't looked into Salford as much because Leeds Met and Sheffield Hallam have been my main focus. Thanks for clearing that up though.
On here, yes. In real life, no.
Original post by arabcnesbit
I think if you take the age of an institution (when it became a University rather) and compare it to its average ranking in the guides you will see that there is a strong correlation between the two.

The Robert Gordon University for instance avoids doing too many Disney Studies type courses and has excellent job prospects and teaching standards for its mostly vocational courses.

This is an example of a good ex poly that should be higher in the rankings than what it is.

Why negged for this?

I agree with you, if a ex poly wants to seen as better, they need to avoid the mickey mouse degrees

ps id give you +ve rep, but none left :'(
Reply 16
OP, why don't you opt for sociology or statistics at more decent unis?

The fact that a uni used to be a poly doesn't necessarily mean it's bad, but since most of them are at the end of league tables and people from other unis have a better chance to get a good graduate job there's no wonder why people frown upon them.
(edited 13 years ago)
I'm thinking of going to Kingston but the fact that it's an ex-poly deters me slightly... Not because I'm prejudiced, but because employers would (probably) prefer someone who has done a music degree at a music college or top 10 uni rather than some ex-poly... So I may defer..
From my experience attitudes to ex polys are worse in real life than on TSR!
Original post by Ivanka
OP, why don't you opt for sociology or statistics at more decent unis?

The fact that a uni used to be a poly doesn't necessarily mean it's bad, but since most of them are at the end of league tables and people from other unis have a better chance to get a good graduate job there's no wonder why people frown upon them.

Because I want to become a Chartered Quantity Surveyor so I need to do a degree in Quantity Surveying which is accredited by the RICS.

So, with respect, why would I do a degree in Sociology or Statistics? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending