The Student Room Group

St. Andrews Medicine Applicants 2011 :D

Scroll to see replies

Thanks do they give a couple of weeks notice do you know? I thought about e-mailing them to check the status of my application then noticed Bradd did this and got rejected the following day so I might just let it hang around a little longer
I emailed them about the status of my application and they emailed back saying they'd sent me an email that day inviting me to interview but I never received it. If I was you, I would contact them and see.. they might have already tried to contact you but the email might not have gone through or whatever :smile:
Either way you'll know.... they're usually pretty speedy at replying to emails.
Reply 1021
Original post by Zyphlon
Yeah Top Choice. I loved St Andrews when i was there but It's just a bit cold for me! If i had to choose It would be my second choice :tongue:

Deffinitely!! I loved it!!!
You live in Manchester? How can there be a difference in temp?? Haha I live down south and didn't really notice lol.
What's your top choice then?
Reply 1022
Original post by ryan118244
Deffinitely!! I loved it!!!
You live in Manchester? How can there be a difference in temp?? Haha I live down south and didn't really notice lol.
What's your top choice then?

Hey... I just noticed that your signature is very pessimistic. Why are you that convinced you're gonna get a rejection from St. Andrews? Your ukcat is average (considering people around here got interviews with scores that range between 625 and 750) and your PS was really great. As i know the ukcat counts for 15% of the application and the ps for another 15% so you already have some advantage compared to others even though you might have done slightly less than others on your interview... Am I not right?
Reply 1023
Original post by teafil
Hey... I just noticed that your signature is very pessimistic. Why are you that convinced you're gonna get a rejection from St. Andrews? Your ukcat is average (considering people around here got interviews with scores that range between 625 and 750) and your PS was really great. As i know the ukcat counts for 15% of the application and the ps for another 15% so you already have some advantage compared to others even though you might have done slightly less than others on your interview... Am I not right?

Yea my PS is good and my UKCAT is average, I think my interview went alright ... but just average tbh, it's just because my GCSEs aren't the strongest so I dont think my academic score will be the highest and thus that's why I don't think I will get an offer!
Reply 1024
Still to hear back from St. Andrews. Was interviewed way back in November ! Who else is on the same boat and still to receive a decision ?... I know they say the majority of applicants will hear back in March so still hoping !
Reply 1025
Yea my PS is good and my UKCAT is average, I think my interview went alright ... but just average tbh, it's just because my GCSEs aren't the strongest so I dont think my academic score will be the highest and thus that's why I don't think I will get an offer!

Oh i see... being an EU applicant i only have predicted grades... I mean i do have some exams similar to GCSEs but i'm not sure they actually know what these exams mean. Still, i did receive an email from them some months ago asking me to explain what every exam actually meant so i do hope they will boost my final score a bit. I also feel that my interview was quite average. I can't say it went great, but I'd also like to think that it wasn't a disaster. There is still hope i guess... I hope we both get in. Plus, think about it... being average would mean something like the 250th place out of 500, and as they give out 300 offers, being average might be just fine :smile:
Reply 1026
Original post by SRK.
Still to hear back from St. Andrews. Was interviewed way back in November ! Who else is on the same boat and still to receive a decision ?... I know they say the majority of applicants will hear back in March so still hoping !

Hey, may i ask... what was your UKCAT score? :biggrin:
Reply 1027
Original post by teafil
Hey, may i ask... what was your UKCAT score? :biggrin:

Hey .. yeh sure, 645 .... I guess average ! what's yours ? Can I ask if you have been interviewed yet, If so - How was it ?
Reply 1028
Original post by teafil
Oh i see... being an EU applicant i only have predicted grades... I mean i do have some exams similar to GCSEs but i'm not sure they actually know what these exams mean. Still, i did receive an email from them some months ago asking me to explain what every exam actually meant so i do hope they will boost my final score a bit. I also feel that my interview was quite average. I can't say it went great, but I'd also like to think that it wasn't a disaster. There is still hope i guess... I hope we both get in. Plus, think about it... being average would mean something like the 250th place out of 500, and as they give out 300 offers, being average might be just fine :smile:

Oh that's good then! You should have said they are super hard exams haha!
Yea, but my GCSEs arent average, there bad! :/
Anyways never mind, I will just have to wait and see!
Good luck to you as well!!
Hopefully we will both get offers :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1029
Original post by SRK.
Hey .. yeh sure, 645 .... I guess average ! what's yours ? Can I ask if you have been interviewed yet, If so - How was it ?

Yeah I've got an interview. My ukcat score was 680 :smile: I had mine on the 9th of february. It went ok but I can't be sure. I did finish first, but i guess its because I'm not a native english speaker and therefore i tend to talk a bit more strict than you guys (i wouldnt feel comfortable making a joke in english on an interview for example :smile:) ). besides that it was not too bad(can't really go into details as there are still people around here who have their interviews in march). How did your interview go?
Reply 1030
Oh that's good then! You should have said they are super hard exams haha!
Yea, but my GcSEs aren't average :/
Anyways never mind, I will just have to wait and see!
Good luck to you as well!!
Hopefully we will both get offers :smile:

Here in Romania high schools are ranked, and then each class profile is ranked. For example my High school is the 3rd best in Romania. The class i got into is maths-info bilingual English is the best profile in the highs chool (and yeah ... i've been studying further maths and informatics for 4 years now... plus all those English grammar classes :s-smilie: ). So after these exams similiar to GCSE we should choose a high school and a profile according to our grades. For example even though my high school is 3rd ranked, my profile was so competitive that year that the poorest grade was 9;90 out of 10, which made my class to be the best ranked class of the year from the whole country. The system is a bit complicated and i did try to make it clear for them :s-smilie: Also I mentioned i got a 9;98 out of 10 making it sound it's actually hard to get that grade so I do hope they consider it! hahah :biggrin:
Reply 1031
Original post by teafil
Yeah I've got an interview. My ukcat score was 680 :smile: I had mine on the 9th of february. It went ok but I can't be sure. I did finish first, but i guess its because I'm not a native english speaker and therefore i tend to talk a bit more strict than you guys (i wouldnt feel comfortable making a joke in english on an interview for example :smile:) ). besides that it was not too bad(can't really go into details as there are still people around here who have their interviews in march). How did your interview go?

Same ... wasn't too bad, went quicker than expected though... not sure if that's a good thing ! Just another month left to find out I guess, though I have been tempted to E-mail them about the status of my application ...
Reply 1032
Original post by SRK.
Same ... wasn't too bad, went quicker than expected though... not sure if that's a good thing ! Just another month left to find out I guess, though I have been tempted to E-mail them about the status of my application ...

I emailed them asking about the whole Banding process of the ukcat scores... No answer. i supposed they don't want to share this information with applicant ...

You could try email them about your application but i supposed you're just going to get a general "all results will be made available by the end of march" response. Still if you decide to email them, do let us know what they say !
Reply 1033
Original post by teafil
Here in Romania high schools are ranked, and then each class profile is ranked. For example my High school is the 3rd best in Romania. The class i got into is maths-info bilingual English is the best profile in the highs chool (and yeah ... i've been studying further maths and informatics for 4 years now... plus all those English grammar classes :s-smilie: ). So after these exams similiar to GCSE we should choose a high school and a profile according to our grades. For example even though my high school is 3rd ranked, my profile was so competitive that year that the poorest grade was 9;90 out of 10, which made my class to be the best ranked class of the year from the whole country. The system is a bit complicated and i did try to make it clear for them :s-smilie: Also I mentioned i got a 9;98 out of 10 making it sound it's actually hard to get that grade so I do hope they consider it! hahah :biggrin:

That's brilliant! I'm sure your academic score would be immense! Have you had an interview yet?
Reply 1034
That's brilliant! I'm sure your academic score would be immense! Have you had an interview yet?

Yeah i did... I think I described it for SRK. in a previous post. it was on th 9th of february. Quite average... I finished first, but then again i'm not a native english speaker ad this may be a reason. I know it was average but i just hope it's going to be good enough to earn me a place :biggrin:
Reply 1035

Hey ryan, can I ask what your UKCAT score is ?
Reply 1036
Original post by SRK.

I'm in the same position, was interviewed on 25th Jan and still waiting for a decision! Just been reading about the banding scores for the UKCAT, I think it's safe to say that I'll be in the bottom band with 580! :tongue:

Also, if all the interviews are done by 18th of March, should we expect decisions the following week? It seems really close now, the last two weeks have flown by (probably due to the copious amounts of alcohol I've consumed :tongue:) Still the only interview I've had! :frown:
Reply 1037
Original post by KCosmo
I'm in the same position, was interviewed on 25th Jan and still waiting for a decision! Just been reading about the banding scores for the UKCAT, I think it's safe to say that I'll be in the bottom band with 580! :tongue:

Also, if all the interviews are done by 18th of March, should we expect decisions the following week? It seems really close now, the last two weeks have flown by (probably due to the copious amounts of alcohol I've consumed :tongue:) Still the only interview I've had! :frown:

time for me has been painfully slow. I feel the last 2 weeks were more like 2 centuries. I never drink alcohol, but all of the sudden you make it sound appealing :smile:)
Reply 1038
Original post by KCosmo

haha ... Well the UKCAT is only part of the criteria they use to assess applicants ! And yes, I would think so ... 70 % chance of an offer after interview ( 500 interviewed - 350 offers given out ! ) I even went on UCAS to add the option of sending me a text as it is getting so close to March !
Reply 1039
Original post by teafil
time for me has been painfully slow. I feel the last 2 weeks were more like 2 centuries. I never drink alcohol, but all of the sudden you make it sound appealing :smile:)

Muhaha, FEEL THE POWER OF THE DARK SIDE!!!! :P The recent increase has nothing to do with my application, there's just been a party to go to pretty much every night :tongue: Before that though time was dragging by every day, I wish I could just skip to the end of March!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending