The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

:awesome:
Reply 4301
Original post by Kevmeister
What was the back four for the Newcastle match?

B. Sagna
L. Koscielny
J. Djourou
G. Clichy
Original post by Kevmeister
What was the back four for the Newcastle match?

Oh I see what you did there. :teeth:

Put simply, I don't think a single member of this Soc has been impressed by the signing of Squillaci given his abysmal performances this season.

That game epitomised just how awful he's been, and is the simple reason why our first choice CB partnership has been Djourou and Koscielny since Xmas. Of course in that game we weren't helped by a moment of madness from another player who needs to be sold.
(edited 13 years ago)
Barca have scored at least 2 goals in 9 out of their last 10 league matches. They scored at least 2 goals in all the Champions League group matches at home and conceded only 1 against Panathinaikos. Only home game they conceded more than 1 goal this season was in the opening league match against Hercules.
Original post by jit987
B. Sagna
L. Koscielny
J. Djourou
G. Clichy

B. Sagna
L. Koscielny
S. Squillaci
G. Clichy
A lot of wumming for not a totally unexpected result, our 2nd team have been shocking this season. Creativity just disappears when Cesc doesn't play, and no one on the pitch today is good enough to produce a little spark by themselves. Thankfully we were comfortable in defence
:frown: Not surprised by that result at all, disappointing though. Nice to see all the wumming :yy: Bringing up Barca :rolleyes:
Reply 4307
Original post by Psychotic546
B. Sagna
L. Koscielny
S. Squillaci
G. Clichy

Djourou was a starter and then got subbed by Squillaci. When Djourou was playing, they conceded no goals and after Squillaci 4-4.

On a side note - Villa already scored against A.Bilbao(home match) in the 4rth minute......
for your barca return leg, valdes might be out...

he has a knee injury and is facing up to 6 weeks out.
Link for above post - admittedly Goal.com, but they at least updated it.
Reply 4310
JK.
OP
I wouldn't be getting too excited about that, Pinto's obviously playing tonight and he just made a stunning save.
Original post by marcusmerehay
They put 4 past a team containing Silvestre, Eboue and Song in the back 4. Not really a major achievement tbh.

They did manage to put 5 past a defence consisting of Ramos, Carvalho, Pepe, Marcelo with Casillas in goal. :colone:
Original post by JK.
I wouldn't be getting too excited about that, Pinto's obviously playing tonight and he just made a stunning save.

he may have made a stunning save but he is not as good on the floor as Valdes. Valdes is absoloutley essential to the way barca play. He is easily has the best distribution for a goalkeeper in the world by a fairly clear margin. Reina and Van der Sar may be good at throwing etc, but Valdes's is on a different level, he starts the majority of Barca attacks and keeps them ticking over when they do come back into their area.

A much much bigger blow for Barca than Puyol etc. He rivals Xavi, Messi and pique in terms of importance for their team. Add to that Pinto is a pretty crappy goalkeeper, means that they should be slightly worried.

But hey, lets see how they do with 2 first choice CB's and their first choice goalie out.
Original post by PlasticBag
he may have made a stunning save but he is not as good on the floor as Valdes. Valdes is absoloutley essential to the way barca play. He is easily has the best distribution for a goalkeeper in the world by a fairly clear margin. Reina and Van der Sar may be good at throwing etc, but Valdes's is on a different level, he starts the majority of Barca attacks and keeps them ticking over when they do come back into their area.

A much much bigger blow for Barca than Puyol etc. He rivals Xavi, Messi and pique in terms of importance for their team. Add to that Pinto is a pretty crappy goalkeeper, means that they should be slightly worried.

But hey, lets see how they do with 2 first choice CB's and their first choice goalie out.

barca is going to do everything in there power to get puyol back for that game. and he might be back in time
Reply 4314
Atletic Bilbao are really harrying Barcelona at the start of this second half, using concerted pressure in tandem with pace behind the defence. Arsene, take note.
Original post by marcusmerehay
Oh I see what you did there. :teeth:

Put simply, I don't think a single member of this Soc has been impressed by the signing of Squillaci given his abysmal performances this season.

That game epitomised just how awful he's been, and is the simple reason why our first choice CB partnership has been Djourou and Koscielny since Xmas. Of course in that game we weren't helped by a moment of madness from another player who needs to be sold.

What!??! :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry: How dare you?!?!?!

He's only 24, too many injuries and sadly unlucky :puppyeyes:
Original post by Sandra1993
barca is going to do everything in there power to get puyol back for that game. and he might be back in time

They may do so but 1. Match fitness and 2. Valdes is infinitely more important to them than Puyol. They dont have a decent backup keeper, whereas they have Pique Abidal and Milito who can fill in. Arguably, they are not world beaters but they do a job.
They may do so but 1. Match fitness and 2. Valdes is infinitely more important to them than Puyol. They dont have a decent backup keeper, whereas they have Pique Abidal and Milito who can fill in. Arguably, they are not world beaters but they do a job.

true. but pique is also out for the next leg.
Original post by Sandra1993
true. but pique is also out for the next leg.

Touche
Reply 4319
Valdes is absoloutley essential to the way barca play. He is easily has the best distribution for a goalkeeper in the world by a fairly clear margin.

I disagree with this VV is at best an average all round keeper and you can't really say he has the best distribution for a GK when 99% of the time all he does he pass it 10 yards to either of the 2 CBs- and don't forget that most teams play 1 up front against Barca, so one of the two CBs will always be free especially with the positioning they take when VV's got the ball- he's not really being asked to do much. He doesn't come anywhere close to Reina of VDS. I'd even rate Carlos Kameni and Gomez better than him in terms of distribution.

No way, you must have realise yourself that you have over exaggerated the importance of VV by putting him on par with those players. It's not just the world class of these players that makes them immense, it also the aura and everything else that comes along with their presence.

With the way Barca plays and how 90% of their matches work out, they don't really need a world class keeper they can easily get away with an average goalkeepr, hell imo even with Almunia they'll still win a lot of trophies. Their keeper isn't really asked to do much and I might be wrong but i can't really remeber their defence being ever exposed in matches and team having easy chances against them- AA's goal against them is the ONLY example I can think of them being that exposed.

All I'm saying is give me a choice of facing a Barca with either VV or Puyol. I'd say they have VV 100% of the time :yes:.
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest