The Student Room Group

Are all ex-polys seen as bad on here?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Shiftend
Manchester University offer degrees in Town & Country Planning as well as City & Regional development, these are perfect degrees at a redbrick uni, if you want a job in property/construction, have you thought about doing these?

But they aren't quantity surveying. Quantity surveying is about counting bricks and pricing them!
Reply 41
Obviously ex-pollys arent the best universities in the UK, although I hardly think they're all awful.
Reply 42
Ex-Poly's are seen as "bad" for traditional subjects, but for vocational courses like the one your going for their often better as their more focused and more often offer a valuable sandwhich year.
Original post by snufkin_
Ex-Poly's are seen as "bad" for traditional subjects, but for vocational courses like the one your going for their often better as their more focused and more often offer a valuable sandwhich year.

Yeah every QS course I have looked at has been a sandwich course which is definitely going to help me.
Original post by limetang
Obviously ex-pollys arent the best universities in the UK, although I hardly think they're all awful.

Are you going to one?
Reply 45
Yes.

Next question?
Reply 46
Original post by TheSownRose
Are you going to one?

No, but thats because most I've looked at 1) don't do the Mchem and 2) Don't offer PhD's etc.
Original post by inksplodge
i think experience is more important for that, and the same goes for a lot of careers :biggrin:

What's funny? :smile: So,I dont need to do a Publishing degree? I'm working on getting experience but thought a degree might help a bit.(and I really want to go to uni in general xD)
Original post by wdywuk
on here - Yes. In reality there are a lot of really courses courses out there operating in ex-polys.

...and of course, an ex poly has received the most UCAS applications of any UK university, so it appears that 58k+ applicants don't go along with the party line here.

Ooh, was that uni Nottingham Trent?

Original post by arabcnesbit
I think if you take the age of an institution (when it became a University rather) and compare it to its average ranking in the guides you will see that there is a strong correlation between the two.

The Robert Gordon University for instance avoids doing too many Disney Studies type courses and has excellent job prospects and teaching standards for its mostly vocational courses.

This is an example of a good ex poly that should be higher in the rankings than what it is.

Why negged for this? I don't get it, how is this worthy of a neg, I'm not insulting anything. Strange people.

Welcome to TSR!

Original post by Tolth
On here, yes. In real life, no.

This.
I never even knew what an ex-poly WAS until I came on here. In real life nobody cares. On here most people are either obsessed with Oxbridge or obsessed with finding out whether their university is regarded as **** because it's NOT Oxbridge. You can't win on TSR.
Original post by diamonddust

I never even knew what an ex-poly WAS until I came on here. In real life nobody cares. On here most people are either obsessed with Oxbridge or obsessed with finding out whether their university is regarded as **** because it's NOT Oxbridge. You can't win on TSR.

Yeah, it's always worth keeping in mind that an awful lot of people on here are prestige obsessed snobs who'd get laughed at irl if they actually mentioned any of their ridiculous opinions. Really, don't let the dismissive attitude towards 'bad' universities on here move you.
It's not what we think but what potential employers think that probably matters. No idea of the views of potential employers if you study quantity surveying.
Original post by Gemma :)!
Once, I was writing in a "what university do you go to" thread... I got about 30 neg reps for mine :| Says it all about TSR :biggrin: Needless to say I keep it to myself these days.

Lol, no wonder you now have 5 green gems, I recall you once were on red (I think it's the same Gemma).

Was you view for or anti poly's? I'm guessing it was anti for you to get 30 red negs.
Original post by babygirl110
Lol, no wonder you now have 5 green gems, I recall you once were on red (I think it's the same Gemma).

Was you view for or anti poly's? I'm guessing it was anti for you to get 30 red negs.

It is me haha :biggrin: I had 3 red gems at my worst I think.. I wasn't really giving a "view" for or against, I just said that I go to one :')
Reply 53
Original post by jackf1337
I'm thinking of going to Kingston but the fact that it's an ex-poly deters me slightly... Not because I'm prejudiced, but because employers would (probably) prefer someone who has done a music degree at a music college or top 10 uni rather than some ex-poly... So I may defer..

A few of my friends did music at Kingston. They found it horrific.
Original post by ethareal
A few of my friends did music at Kingston. They found it horrific.

Kingston really is just a bad university. I think it was Kingston that was caught trying to artificially inflate their league table positions by faking high student satisfaction scores.
Reply 55
Original post by diamonddust
Ooh, was that uni Nottingham Trent?

Good guess but they had just over 40k by mid January. Top uni had 52k+ at the same date.
ignore tsr.
go on the guardian league tables.
they're not 100%, but they're MUCH more accurate than invented stats from these naaabs :biggrin:
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Really the question you need to ask is how those unis are seen in the field of Quantity Surveying, if thats what you want to do, what people say on TSR means pretty much jack.

On here the type of people who are into uni snobbery and so on generally want to work in IB or become barristers and the harsh truth is most of them aren't going to make it so they try to make themselves feel better by being cocks on here going LOL you're at an ex poly, as if you've got a chance in IB.

When you're on your Quantity Surveying degree you should start trolling the IB forum going LOL as if PPE is going to get you a surveying job, you need to learn REAL SKILLS, you probs won't even get an interview LOL

IBs are also now giving a chance to people from lowly ranked uni's. I met a chap last month who just finished at London Met and he told me that Goldman Sachs and standard chartered each recruited four third year students from their business courses. He said it was part of some scheme to give fair access to opportunities. I don't know if they will be rolling it again.
Original post by Gemma :)!
It is me haha :biggrin: I had 3 red gems at my worst I think.. I wasn't really giving a "view" for or against, I just said that I go to one :')

Lol, TSRians can be so eccentric at times.

I'm heading for 3 gems but I'm past caring.
I'd say it depends on the subject. For instance, law is definitely a lot better at the Russel Group uni's but games development may not be so, or medicine as someone pointed out. Im wanting to go to Stafford, as they have excellent networking facilities and major links with Cisco

Stafford
Recently, Cisco offered us some very..very expensive networking equipment for free on ‘long term loan’.

http://www.staffs.ac.uk/faculties/comp_eng_tech/news_and_events/fcetwinningciscoexcellence.jsp

There's a reason why Cisco offered them the equipment over say Russel Group or Red brick universities. Some of the equipment can cost £1,000,000+

Stafford
Many companies return to us each year seeking only Staffordshire University computing placement students

http://www.staffs.ac.uk/courses_and_study/courses/network-computing-tcm428364.jsp

There's obviously a reason why companies like Stafford graduates as well

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending