The Student Room Group

Muslim 'refused job because of his name' accuses airline bosses of racism

" A Muslim airport worker has accused airline Cathay Pacific of racism after he was refused a job interview only to be offered one when he applied two days later using a fake white British-sounding name.

Algerian-born Salim Zakhrouf applied to Cathay Pacific for a job as a passenger services officer at Heathrow Airport.

Mr Zakhrouf, 38, who has lived in Britain since 1991 and is a UK citizen, was told by email he had not been selected for interview.

But applying 48 hours later as 'Ian Woodhouse' with an identical CV and home address, he was invited for an interview by the same personnel officer who had first refused him.

A furious Mr Zakhrouf, who has 17 years’ customer-service experience and works as a Heathrow flight handling agent, refused to attend.

Instead he called his union, Unite, which plans to bring a case accusing Cathay Pacific of racial discrimination to an employment tribunal.

Within three hours of The Mail on Sunday contacting the airline, Cathay Pacific's UK Head of Marketing Roberto Abbondio called to apologise.

He blamed an 'administrative error' as staff tried to process 709 applications and said Cathay was reviewing its recruitment process after a case he described as 'unfortunate and disappointing'.

Cathay Pacific’s UK Personnel Manager Alison Loftin also then emailed Mr Zakhrouf to apologise and to arrange a meeting with her.
Mr Zakhrouf, who is married with a 19-month-old daughter, told The Mail on Sunday:

'It’s very strange I only received a proper response when you got in touch.

'After the way I was treated I have no desire to work for Cathay.

'The way they handled my application was racist and unfair.

'I have applied seven times for jobs at Cathay in the past three years and I have been rejected every time.

'This has been a very unpleasant experience and will make me very wary of applying for jobs in future.'

Unite regional officer Balvinder Bir said: 'We have consulted our solicitors on this case.

'We take these matters very seriously and will be giving our member our full support.' "

Taken from: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1358753/Muslim-refused-job-accuses-airline-bosses-racism.html

I'm interested on hearing people's views on this. Imo, I do think there is a link between having a foreign name and being able to get a job, however it is not 100% proof that in this case it was his name that prevented him from getting an interview.

Scroll to see replies

wasn't aware that islam was a race
Reply 2
Oh yes! All hail Daily Mail. :adore:
Original post by basketofsnakes
wasn't aware that islam was a race

I wasn't aware it mentioned islam. It's because his name sounds foreign, and not something typically "white British".

I really can't decide what I believe. When I was reading it I thought it could have been an error, I mean they'll have so many to look through, they're bound to make some cock-ups. But then I saw this wasn't the first time in the same company, and so I dunno. Is the competition really that great? Maybe he is a weaker candidate that he thinks? But then why would the other name get him the interview if this was really the case....?
I don't doubt that this does happen though. It's the daily mail, so we do have to take it with a pinch of salt remember....
Reply 4
It does sound like a bit of racial discrimination, but honestly with the Daily Mail you just can not tell if they are reporting the full story, messing up facts etc.
Reply 5
What has this got to do with him being a Muslim?
Reply 6
I wouldn't say it's proof of racism.

I'd imagine that even using the same name, sometimes an application will get accepted and some times it won't, just due to luck or if the person reading the forms is in a good mood etc.
Original post by Rainbow-Dream

From now on, I will apply to the same job twice with a different name :biggrin:
I have a foreign name and I keep getting rejected from job applications :sigh:
The irony.
Reply 10
Interesting. It reminds of a story when our govt decided to send off job applications across the country, one set with foreign names, the other with white British sounding names. The clear winner was the latter.
Reply 11
Pretty bubbles and rainbows from myspace.com
Sucks but Cathay Pacific is a private business. Although lol at the daily mail comments:

Top comments:

Grow up Salim. Many people are refused job interviews on the first attempt but might be accepted on their second application. . . . . You LIED on your second application form so you would have been rejected even if you had attended the interview. . . . Why should you feel entitled to compensation just because you have a foreign surname.

----

I'm going to apply for the position of president of Egypt, when I get refused I will make a racist claim against Egypt ---- will it work?

Not saying they don't have a point but you can tell that had it been a white Brit applying for a Indian place, they'd be stating:

Worst rated comments:

It's disgusting that in the 21st century someone can be turned down for a job based on what their name is. Cathay have been caught out this time but for how many years have they been discriminating like this and getting away with it?

---

Disgraceful. If that isn't racial discrimination, then I don't know what is.
Reply 14
Original post by ellakrystina
My last name's polish and I'm doing pretty well for myself.
My brother's name is Jozef Amadeusz and he's also got a job and has had loads of interviews...

But Jozef Amadeusz sounds so much more classy than Abdul Al Muhajiroon.
Original post by Rainbow-Dream
" A Muslim airport worker has accused airline Cathay Pacific of racism after he was refused a job interview only to be offered one when he applied two days later using a fake white British-sounding name.

Algerian-born Salim Zakhrouf applied to Cathay Pacific for a job as a passenger services officer at Heathrow Airport.

Mr Zakhrouf, 38, who has lived in Britain since 1991 and is a UK citizen, was told by email he had not been selected for interview.

But applying 48 hours later as 'Ian Woodhouse' with an identical CV and home address, he was invited for an interview by the same personnel officer who had first refused him.

A furious Mr Zakhrouf, who has 17 years’ customer-service experience and works as a Heathrow flight handling agent, refused to attend.

Instead he called his union, Unite, which plans to bring a case accusing Cathay Pacific of racial discrimination to an employment tribunal.

Within three hours of The Mail on Sunday contacting the airline, Cathay Pacific's UK Head of Marketing Roberto Abbondio called to apologise.

He blamed an 'administrative error' as staff tried to process 709 applications and said Cathay was reviewing its recruitment process after a case he described as 'unfortunate and disappointing'.

Cathay Pacific’s UK Personnel Manager Alison Loftin also then emailed Mr Zakhrouf to apologise and to arrange a meeting with her.
Mr Zakhrouf, who is married with a 19-month-old daughter, told The Mail on Sunday:

'It’s very strange I only received a proper response when you got in touch.

'After the way I was treated I have no desire to work for Cathay.

'The way they handled my application was racist and unfair.

'I have applied seven times for jobs at Cathay in the past three years and I have been rejected every time.

'This has been a very unpleasant experience and will make me very wary of applying for jobs in future.'

Unite regional officer Balvinder Bir said: 'We have consulted our solicitors on this case.

'We take these matters very seriously and will be giving our member our full support.' "

Taken from: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1358753/Muslim-refused-job-accuses-airline-bosses-racism.html

I'm interested on hearing people's views on this. Imo, I do think there is a link between having a foreign name and being able to get a job, however it is not 100% proof that in this case it was his name that prevented him from getting an interview.

I don't think this situation could be applied to all jobs/job interviews IMO. To be quite honest, I think an airline company would want a typical British name because it ... "sounds" safer, thus more appealing. Foreign names on the other hand seem to pose a potential terrorist threat what with it being an airline. I am in NO way saying this is acceptable btw, because it is not. Just because you don't have a full on British name, doesn't mean you can't perform a job role properly. I am saying however that people shouldn't blow this out of proportion, it is just an air company trying to prevent people thinking "OMG foreigner flying a plane! He's going to kill us all!" kind of thing.

P.S, I dont not think that thing about the terrorism. Just for your information TSR! :L

You know, I did once have a very slight suspicion of this, and it's quite sad to hear these stories :frown:. But I thought it would maybe be more something to do with not being able to pronounce the name, rather than them actually just not wanting a foreign person :erm:. And on that basis I did start putting a shortened version of my first name on my CV and applications, but it didn't change much still :erm:. But I dunno, we are in a difficult job market as well, so it's pretty difficult to just pinpoint one reason, as I'm sure there are plenty of people with English names finding it hard to get a job too :dontknow:
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
I have a foreign name and I keep getting rejected from job applications :sigh:

Same thing is happening to me you know
Reply 18
Original post by Jadelyndsey
I don't think this situation could be applied to all jobs/job interviews IMO. To be quite honest, I think an airline company would want a typical British name because it ... "sounds" safer, thus more appealing. Foreign names on the other hand seem to pose a potential terrorist threat what with it being an airline. I am in NO way saying this is acceptable btw, because it is not. Just because you don't have a full on British name, doesn't mean you can't perform a job role properly. I am saying however that people shouldn't blow this out of proportion, it is just an air company trying to prevent people thinking "OMG foreigner flying a plane! He's going to kill us all!" kind of thing.

P.S, I dont not think that thing about the terrorism. Just for your information TSR! :L

Subtle, very subtle :tongue:
You make a sound point though, apart from the tiny little fact that the man could very well be applying for a desk job at Cathay, so the issue of his real name putting off customers doesn't really apply. Plus, they could always do what call centers do and give him a fake name, like "Joe" from AT&T Customer Service.
The fact that the same application was rejected with different names is going to make Cathay's position really hard to defend if it goes to the courts. Blatantly caught out tbh.
Reply 19
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
You know, I did once have a very slight suspicion of this, and it's quite sad to hear these stories :frown:. But I thought it would maybe be more something to do with not being able to pronounce the name, rather than them actually just not wanting a foreign person :erm:. And on that basis I did start putting a shortened version of my first name on my CV and applications, but it didn't change much still :erm:. But I dunno, we are in a difficult job market as well, so it's pretty difficult to just pinpoint one reason, as I'm sure there are plenty of people with English names finding it hard to get a job too :dontknow:

Maybe some people would overlook a CV because of the name but i would have thought most wouldn't. Its probably more down to the competition for jobs rather than your name. I think most people are getting a lot of rejections right now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending