The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ilios_Lampros
It wasn't the people as individuals - just the toxic atmosphere. It was clausterphobic (college ran your life and there was no escape), the cliques, the monotony, the fact I just wasn't experiencing life and the mind games they play there just drive me round the bend (eg. "OMG i've done LITERALLY no work im going to FAIL).

Then again I was never a studenty kind of person. I'm doing a masters at Imperial nowadays and I love the fact I can live with non-student people and that there's a global city right there in front of me with so many work opportunities (despite the fact I have no money and can't enjoy the night-life as I would have hoped). At Cambridge it felt like time stood still.

That's EXACTLY what I thought it would be like and exactly why I wouldn't apply- even if I had the grades to. I had a mini taste of that at my old college (claustrophobia, mind games, competition) and I got ill, I'm not putting myself in a situation like that ever again.

I don't hate Oxbridge students, I think it's pretty amazing to have a degree from one of the best universities in the world. I think on TSR, it's jealousy. You get so many people on here with top grades, some of whom apply and get rejected. It makes sense that some of those people would be resentful of those who go there.
Original post by Zottula
Most probably just jealously. Not everyone hates Oxbridge students though. I certainly don't! You get nice people and not-so-nice people at every uni.

This.

OP, I'm really sorry you didn't enjoy your time at Cambridge, but I'm really glad you're making the most out of Imperial. :smile:
Original post by Ilios_Lampros
In response to: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1551945&stat_userid=174176&stat_usergroupid=12&stat_membergroupids=&stat_widgettype=gutter&stat_widgetname=widget_discussions_latest

Don't get me wrong, there are some daddy's boys and girls who get into Oxbridge because they were given a top-notch education which so many other, less well-off students could have benefitted even more from- given half the chance.

But at the same time getting in is still an achievement, isn't it? So is being able to handle the workload and the stress (in my seconf year 35 hours contact time was considered 'normal'.

Why should you tar all Oxbridge students with the same brush? Yes, there are a sigificant number of rahs, but there were also some people like myself, who grew up in a former mining village in County Durham in a single parent family and was eligible for free school meals.

I didn't enjoy Cambridge. I got out the first chance I got. However, all this talk makes me wonder what I suffered through it all for. Why don't I, or the scores of other 'normal' people who went, 'deserve' it? What is so wrong with wanting to make something more of yourself and achieve things in life (not that other students at other top unis aren't)?

All opinions welcome...

If people haven't been to Cambridge, they can't hate Cambridge students. Judging someone on an Internet forum is dumb, since many people transform into idiots on these things.

The real thing is different. Judge for yourselves when you get there.
Reply 23
Most probably jealousy (I am an Oxford reject :P ).
Reply 24
Original post by Nichrome
It also sucks being broke in Cambridge. A lot of the social stuff can cost a lot especially in May week when your friends are going to 3+ balls and all you can afford is Robinson (if that).

Oh god, is this true? I'm going to be exceptionally broke through uni (my parents earn enough that I don't qualify for anything beyond the minimum loan, yet they refuse to give me any money whatsoever the moment I've left home, and while I have savings from my jobs, they're only a few hundred pounds - and I hear Cambridge don't let you get a job during term time?) and I had hoped this wouldn't be a problem :s-smilie:
Disclaimer: I don't go to Oxbridge, wasn't privately schooled and I'm not rich either.

Well it's just jealousy, envy, bitterness etc. Perhaps they've also had bad experiences with Oxbridge students, and yeah there are arrogant pompous spoilt rich/aristocrat kids but anybody with half a brain will know this is like a TINY fraction of their student population.

I genuinely can't believe there are people stupid and idiotic enough to generalise a whole student population based on a stereotype of what they think are the type of people who go there.

I don't get why people just can't be happy with focusing on themselves and their own success at whatever uni they go to. Instead there are some bitter old bitchy people who can't take other people being more successful than them.

Yes, okay let's say for argument sake that the privately schooled students who go there had it easy in GCSEs/A-levels...that they were 'spoon-fed'. But that doesn't mean their grades are worth any less or they don't deserve to be there. They're made out to be people who can only achieve success through money and special resources. If that's the case then why is it that these same students perform just as well at an incredibly high level at university? There's no spoon-feeding there, everybody's on an level playing field...what then?

It's just the way this society works tbh, soon these Oxbridge students will be the top politicians, bankers, lawyers, surgeons etc...who will then be undermined and slagged off yet again for being rich and whatever.

It's funny because people complain about these people being snobs, arrogant, pompous and 'rahs'...yet it's them who are actually the bitchy jealous people discriminating them for being well off and successful. I can confidently say they outnumber the pompous rich people who look down on the poor/'underachieving'.

But it's okay, because today's society accepts the unnecessary discrimination against the rich and successful. Apparently working hard through school to achieve top grades, to go to a top university, to work endlessly to get a top degree to then get high status jobs which have extreme stress and working hours is 'lazy' and they're undeserving...all because they get paid a lot.

Guess what mother****ers, those 'greedy rich' contribute more to this country's economy through tax (as well as the service they provide through their high-profile jobs) than you'll do in your entire ****ing lives. The rich don't even use as much of the state's resources and public services, so they give so much more than they take. Unlike the people who demonize them.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by im so academic
This.

OP, I'm really sorry you didn't enjoy your time at Cambridge, but I'm really glad you're making the most out of Imperial. :smile:

which year are you in?
Original post by Vazzyb

Original post by Vazzyb
which year are you in?

PM me with regards to personal information. :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by kerily
Oh god, is this true? I'm going to be exceptionally broke through uni (my parents earn enough that I don't qualify for anything beyond the minimum loan, yet they refuse to give me any money whatsoever the moment I've left home, and while I have savings from my jobs, they're only a few hundred pounds - and I hear Cambridge don't let you get a job during term time?) and I had hoped this wouldn't be a problem :s-smilie:

That sucks, I was in the same situation (min loan and no parental help). You might not be too bad as I went to a college with expensive rent, and there is cheaper stuff that happens in may week besides balls (like June events/garden parties). Chances are you won't go out in easter term until after exams anyway so you'll save cash that way. It's not all doom, you just have to watch what you spend a bit more than others =)
Original post by kerily

More parents say this at this stage than stick to it when they see that the economics don't add up and their child will be disadvantaged.

If they are of a mind to do this, when you go up you should be speaking to the College about this. They will have access to hardship funds but more probably they will try to persuade your parents to change their mind.

Until one has received a letter or summons to an interview from a former Cabinet Secretary (in the case of Emma), one doesn't know the meaning of the word persuasive. :tongue:.
Reply 30
Original post by nulli tertius
More parents say this at this stage than stick to it when they see that the economics don't add up and their child will be disadvantaged.

If they are of a mind to do this, when you go up you should be speaking to the College about this. They will have access to hardship funds but more probably they will try to persuade your parents to change their mind.

Until one has received a letter or summons to an interview from a former Cabinet Secretary (in the case of Emma), one doesn't know the meaning of the word persuasive. :tongue:.

Oh how fantastic :smile:

I'm the oldest child and the first person on either side of the family to go away to university (my dad went, but as a mature student and locally) so I'd imagine it's just a case of them not having a clue what's involved or expected of them. But how fantastic. I can just imagine my parents being overwhelmed enough by the whole Cambridge experience that they fold immediately :biggrin:
When ever people hate 'groups' its because they have seen a bad example of that group.

I've worked with a lot of Oxbridge people and found them fine. Every now and then you come across one with a slight superiority complex but that's par for the course whenever you are dealing with something that marks out high achievement. When I was at school there were a few lads who were on the youth books of professional rugby or football clubs, a couple of them swanned round like they were internationals already. On the whole most Oxbridgers in person are fine.

But when it comes to the internet, Oxbridge comes over badly because there are a lot of trolls (who may be from Oxbridge or may be just 'walts' pretending they are) who troll in the name of Oxbridge. I suspect that mostly these guys are not from Oxbridge, I can't really see proper 'achievers' spending their time trolling forums, but the internet does bring out the nasty side in the odd person who wouldn't have the balls to actually rub their "Im at Oxbridge" bragging in peoples faces in real life, but with the anonymity of the net they can do.

I've seen a lot of situations on TSR where someone will ask a question, and even though Oxbridge isn't relevant to the situation, somebody allegedly from Oxbridge jumps on the thread, telling the person that they are at a mediocre university and won't be able to get a job because they are at a mediocre university. Of course they are waiting for somebody to respond to them, so they can retaliate with..."What??? You're saying Oxbridge DOESN'T matter? Well here's my evidence...in career x, 90% of the new recruits are from Oxbridge, in league table Y, Oxbridge comes here and your university comes there". They have set it up to derail the thread with an argument about "does Oxbridge matter" and for all the Oxbridge trolls this is a good argument because they can always produce evidence showing that Oxbridge are good.

It's the equivalent of a Man United fan finding some Brighton and Hove Albion forum and going laughing at them saying "haha so you're all excited about being top of League 1 eh?? when did you last win the Champions League? Here's a list of all United major trophies!" The Brighton fans will just think he's an annoying prat and this is what happens with the Oxbridge trolls on here.

Recently I've seen the Oxbridgers have been on the receiving end of a few Ivy League trolls who have been coming on to tell them how much better the Ivy League is than Oxbridge and how internationally, it's well known that Oxbridge's workload is a walk in the park compared to the Ivy League, most Oxbridgers wouldn't come near the Ivy League, and so on.

Having said this, that sort of internet uni snobbery is by no means confined to Oxbridgers. On TSR I have seen worse snobbery from (a few) people at the unis usually associated as Oxbridge reject destinations (Bristol, Exeter, Durham, Bath, Nottingham, UCL and so on), some of these are even more keen to reassure themselves of their university's superiority over others, so you get the odd one talking about their uni like its Oxbridge, to other Russell Group students. I have to laugh when there's an argument and somebody says "well I'm at a TOP TEN university" and starts going on about it. What usually happens with these types is they have been on the IB forum asking about how to get into IB and have got short shrift from the Oxbridge and LSE crew telling them they are only at semi-target unis, so they feel inferior, so they troll other forums to try and do the same to other users.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by kerily

I don't know what he was doing with his money but I didn't have that problem despite being from a low income family. There's plenty of social stuff you can do without breaking the bank and if you want to go to lots of May Balls you can usually work at them on a "half on, half off" basis.

It'll always be the case that rich people have more opportunities but Cambridge isn't unique in that.

If your parents refuse to support you financially it might be worth talking to the college/bursary fund at Cambridge about your circumstances.
Reply 33
Original post by MagicNMedicine
When ever people hate 'groups' its because they have seen a bad example of that group.

I've worked with a lot of Oxbridge people and found them fine. Every now and then you come across one with a slight superiority complex but that's par for the course whenever you are dealing with something that marks out high achievement. When I was at school there were a few lads who were on the youth books of professional rugby or football clubs, a couple of them swanned round like they were internationals already. On the whole most Oxbridgers in person are fine.

But when it comes to the internet, Oxbridge comes over badly because there are a lot of trolls (who may be from Oxbridge or may be just 'walts' pretending they are) who troll in the name of Oxbridge. I suspect that mostly these guys are not from Oxbridge, I can't really see proper 'achievers' spending their time trolling forums, but the internet does bring out the nasty side in the odd person who wouldn't have the balls to actually rub their "Im at Oxbridge" bragging in peoples faces in real life, but with the anonymity of the net they can do.

I've seen a lot of situations on TSR where someone will ask a question, and even though Oxbridge isn't relevant to the situation, somebody allegedly from Oxbridge jumps on the thread, telling the person that they are at a mediocre university and won't be able to get a job because they are at a mediocre university. Of course they are waiting for somebody to respond to them, so they can retaliate with..."What??? You're saying Oxbridge DOESN'T matter? Well here's my evidence...in career x, 90% of the new recruits are from Oxbridge, in league table Y, Oxbridge comes here and your university comes there". They have set it up to derail the thread with an argument about "does Oxbridge matter" and for all the Oxbridge trolls this is a good argument because they can always produce evidence showing that Oxbridge are good.

It's the equivalent of a Man United fan finding some Brighton and Hove Albion forum and going laughing at them saying "haha so you're all excited about being top of League 1 eh?? when did you last win the Champions League? Here's a list of all United major trophies!" The Brighton fans will just think he's an annoying prat and this is what happens with the Oxbridge trolls on here.

Recently I've seen the Oxbridgers have been on the receiving end of a few Ivy League trolls who have been coming on to tell them how much better the Ivy League is than Oxbridge and how internationally, it's well known that Oxbridge's workload is a walk in the park compared to the Ivy League, most Oxbridgers wouldn't come near the Ivy League, and so on.

Having said this, that sort of internet uni snobbery is by no means confined to Oxbridgers. On TSR I have seen worse snobbery from (a few) people at the unis usually associated as Oxbridge reject destinations (Bristol, Exeter, Durham, Bath, Nottingham, UCL and so on), some of these are even more keen to reassure themselves of their university's superiority over others, so you get the odd one talking about their uni like its Oxbridge, to other Russell Group students. I have to laugh when there's an argument and somebody says "well I'm at a TOP TEN university" and starts going on about it. What usually happens with these types is they have been on the IB forum asking about how to get into IB and have got short shrift from the Oxbridge and LSE crew telling them they are only at semi-target unis, so they feel inferior, so they troll other forums to try and do the same to other users.

Pretty accurate!
Reply 34
I think it's because so many politicians went to Oxbridge.

Or something.
Reply 35
I don't :smile:
I don't really dislike them at all. I think it's a similar situation to when you see a bloke driving a flash sports car and you automatically think 'what a ****er'. It's not based on anything, it's just a knee jerk reaction. You're sort of jealous of them so it natural to want to dislike them.
Reply 37
for people who Don't go to Oxbridge its jealousy... for former drop outs from Oxbridge the reason is completely different.
I have a friend who attended Cambridge at Kings college he hated it their, he said that the places at Cambridge are wasted on Stuck up, spoilt private school people who are their for the wrong reasons. for these people he says it more of the same, for all their life they have been used to having access to intelligent people, lavish surroundings etc. They don't treat it as they should, a gift. he believes that Cambridge should be left for the people who aren't planning on simply becoming rich. He thinks that the people who go to Oxford or Cambridge should be the forefront of human knowledge and should be people who plan to change humanity for the better. he and I met people who said their life ambition was to "get rich somehow, or otherwise my daddy will support me." his life ambitions are to create some of the most lavishly designed buildings he can. He is an engineer. Hence he did engineering. He said not even he deserved a place at Cambridge. even though he straight A*ed 4 A levels.
but personally I have met some of the coolest people who go to Cambridge. I live their. this is only 1 example by the way.
Original post by JAKstriked
cuz i missed my offer.

This, lol.
Reply 39
I dislike Oxbridge students that try and look down on people because they had a different upbringing/education just the same as I dislike anyone who looks down on people because of this.

Latest

Trending

Trending