The Student Room Group

Care home different to care for the elderly Hospital Ward?

Hey,

Since September, i've been volunteering every Saturday morning at the local hospital on a care for the elderly ward, doing drinks etc.

Is this different to a care home?? Would it really benefit me if i also volunteered weekly at the care home, or is there anything else beneficial you can think of on top of this (+ of course work exp)?

Thanks,

Mike
Reply 1
Old people in hospital usually = ill old people

Old people in care home usually = not so ill old people
A care home is where old people live, generally permanently, because of an inability to cope at home with daily activities like cooking, dressing, remembering to take medication, etc. COTE in a hospital is where they get admitted if they're ill and need treatment.

I can't really think of anything you'd gain by volunteering in a care home, aside from seeing the community side of care a bit?
Reply 3
Original post by Becca-Sarah
A care home is where old people live, generally permanently, because of an inability to cope at home with daily activities like cooking, dressing, remembering to take medication, etc. COTE in a hospital is where they get admitted if they're ill and need treatment.

I can't really think of anything you'd gain by volunteering in a care home, aside from seeing the community side of care a bit?

Can you recommend any other thing that is different to COTE but can show good caring people skills?

Are places like Special needs schools any good??
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by mike2niner4

Can you recommend any other thing that is different to COTE but can show good caring people skills?

Kids clubs, nurseries, disabled adults (riding for the disabled, etc)?
Reply 5
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Kids clubs, nurseries, disabled adults (riding for the disabled, etc)?

Yeah those kind of places, are there many good opportunities that will look good on an application??
I work in a COTE ward, but it's mostly neuro-rehab and continuing care, so pretty much everything a care home worker does, I do too.

We only send them on once their medical needs have been treated or have been rehabilitated to a specific level. Some go back home, some go onto care homes.

To be honest there's nothing really you could learn from a standard care home that you probably won't see on a COTE ward.

Are you a school leaver or applying for Grad entry?
Reply 7
Original post by winter_mute
I work in a COTE ward, but it's mostly neuro-rehab and continuing care, so pretty much everything a care home worker does, I do too.

We only send them on once their medical needs have been treated or have been rehabilitated to a specific level. Some go back home, some go onto care homes.

To be honest there's nothing really you could learn from a standard care home that you probably won't see on a COTE ward.

I'm a school leaver :smile:

To show good skills with the general public, i've heard working in places like pharmacies/general shops are good.

" We look for evidence that you have worked in a setting where you can interact with the general public eg in a pharmacy, check-out or restaurant."

For places like pharmacies, are there any good part time jobs/volunteering opportunities, i would imagine it to be quite hard to come by??
(edited 13 years ago)
I'm a school leaver :smile:

To show good skills with the general public, i've heard working in places like pharmacies/general shops are good.

" We look for evidence that you have worked in a setting where you can interact with the general public eg in a pharmacy, check-out or restaurant."

For places like pharmacies, are there any good part time jobs/volunteering opportunities, i would imagine it to be quite hard to come by??

It's not that hard, actually. Most Pharmacies where I live just ask you to post your CV to the head office. I'm not sure how it goes from there though because I'll be posting my CV today. :redface:

Just call up your local Pharmacy and ask if they offer voluntary/unpaid work.
Reply 9
Original post by StrawberryKoi
It's not that hard, actually. Most Pharmacies where I live just ask you to post your CV to the head office. I'm not sure how it goes from there though because I'll be posting my CV today. :redface:

Just call up your local Pharmacy and ask if they offer voluntary/unpaid work.

Ahh OK.

Do you know what kind of things you can do??

And what kind of hours they would expect too?
Ahh OK.

Do you know what kind of things you can do??

And what kind of hours they would expect too?

I'm not sure about the hours but I would have assumed it was up to you because you're sort of volunteering? Most people I know only do it on Saturdays and have been doing it for weeks.

One of my friends ended up getting a job somehow at a local Pharmacy last summer. I think he was 18 and was basically doing stuff a Pharmacy/dispensing technician would do... dispensing medicine or something but I'm not sure. He's off at uni now but I really wish I had asked him how the heck he managed to get a job in a Pharmacy at 18. :facepalm::lolwut:

I have no idea what they'll make us do, though. :redface: Good luck!
Reply 11
I'm not sure about the hours but I would have assumed it was up to you because you're sort of volunteering? Most people I know only do it on Saturdays and have been doing it for weeks.

One of my friends ended up getting a job somehow at a local Pharmacy last summer. I think he was 18 and was basically doing stuff a Pharmacy/dispensing technician would do... dispensing medicine or something but I'm not sure. He's off at uni now but I really wish I had asked him how the heck he managed to get a job in a Pharmacy at 18. :facepalm::lolwut:

Ahh thanks :smile:

I can't really do Saturdays, but i can always see if i can do another day!!

You too!
Original post by winter_mute

Do you work as an HCA? Neuro Rehab is my favourite area to work in as an HCA; awesome job. :smile:

OP: Yep, I'd agree with the sentiments above; you'd be better off working in an unrelated sector if it's new experiences you're after.
Reply 13

I've rang up a couple of local ones but they both said that they don't offer anything like that.

How many did you try??
I've rang up a couple of local ones but they both said that they don't offer anything like that.

How many did you try??

I lost count after the first five and long story short, I'm out of credit. I'm seriously freaking out here... Boots says they don't offer work experience 'anymore' due to liability laws. Same with Superdrug. :eek2: I called loads of local Pharmacies, even the independent ones and they all said they don't offer work experience. Ahhhh what do we do now?!

I'm wondering if it's even that important to gain work experience in a Pharmacy before university (btw I want to do Pharmacy at uni) because apparently loads of people just do voluntary work with children and the elderly and get accepted by universities...!?

I guess I'll just have to talk to our connexions advisor and head of sixth form next week and hope they have advice of some sort. :cry2:
(edited 13 years ago)
x

Ok I've got another idea. NHS hospital trusts. :woo:
Go on google, type nhs trust and the name of your county then click on the most relevant looking link. They're bound to offer work experience. :smile: My local hospital shows you a list of clinical work experiences they offer (http://www.bedfordhospital.nhs.uk/working-here/work-experience-and-placements). Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending