The Student Room Group

Muslim 'refused job because of his name' accuses airline bosses of racism

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zxh800
:colondollar: I joke, it's not really my name. Having said that, I'm Muslim so my name is of a similar vein :wink:. Amadeusz is a pretty cool name though, reminds me of Mozart.

His middle name was supposed to be Aaron. But when dad got back from the registry office he was called Jozef Amadeusz... so mum had a very nice surprise.
Original post by djinnie
I didn't say it did, I said that in my town, if you are the "wrong" religion you won't get the job.

Oh okay, sorry I get you now. I misread to mean something else :colondollar:.
Original post by Broderss

Surely he's breaking the law by providing false details on a job application?

Is it illegal to apply for a paper round with a false name?
Reply 43
Original post by CombineHarvester
Is it illegal to apply for a paper round with a false name?

That's exactly the same question I was asking. I have no idea.
Original post by zxh800
But Jozef Amadeusz sounds so much more classy than Abdul Al Muhajiroon.

That made me laugh :biggrin:
That's exactly the same question I was asking. I have no idea.

I wonder if it is seen as some sort of whistle blowing and therefore, the law would protect him.
Reply 46
Original post by babygirl110
I wonder if it is seen as some sort of whistle blowing and therefore, the law would protect him.

Whistle blowing? Lol. His claim has absolutely no substance behind it. Who's to say how thorough the application screening process is at the best of times, let alone comparing 2 days.

All it does is seek to empower himself, Union and Asian jobseekers at Heathrow airport.

FYI, Heathrow aiport is full of Asian staff.
(edited 13 years ago)
Another case of lowly racism. Lets face it.

I would have thought the HR of Cathay Pacific would have noticed that the CV details of the fake-name candidate and Salim Zakhrouf were identical (considering his 48 hours prior application) but they didn't because they never looked past poor Salim Zakhrouf's name!!

Wonder how much this goes on in other companies.
Original post by Wizard of Ahhhs
Another case of lowly racism. Lets face it.

I would have thought the HR of Cathay Pacific would have noticed that the CV details of the fake-name candidate and Salim Zakhrouf were identical (considering his 48 hours prior application) but they didn't because they never looked past poor Salim Zakhrouf's name!!

Wonder how much this goes on in other companies.

Nicely put.
Original post by Fusion

FYI, Heathrow aiport is full of Asian staff.

I know it does, I go to Heathrow airport regularly and have eyes but I'm sure the various airlines and concessions have different recruitment practices and policies. You apply directly to them, rather than to heathrow airport.
(edited 13 years ago)
I really don't see how you can defend the company / argue against the guy here.
There were no other differences between his first application and the second one, other than the British sounding name he used in the second one. So if the second one was accepted, why wasn't the first?
Reply 51
It's interesting if you stop and think why the airline did it. The racism in this case is probably less to do with the airline and more to do with the people who would be put off the airline by a Muslim employee.
Heard of somebody else doing this before for something like a law firm.

To be honest, there's so many ways that this could happen without the name being taken into consideration. Even if we just consider that maybe there's more than one members of HR staff looking through applications, one might be initially stricter than the other.

You can imagine you get 600 job applications on your desk as well. 2 days could see a good number of dreadful candidates come through, at which point you lower your standards, etc.
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Oh gosh, I'm not sure I'd want to go that far, lol. Name-changing is a massive decision, plus I'd find it a bit weird too.

But you could have a name like Annabelle :pierre:
Original post by DarkWhite
Heard of somebody else doing this before for something like a law firm.

To be honest, there's so many ways that this could happen without the name being taken into consideration. Even if we just consider that maybe there's more than one members of HR staff looking through applications, one might be initially stricter than the other.

You can imagine you get 600 job applications on your desk as well. 2 days could see a good number of dreadful candidates come through, at which point you lower your standards, etc.

Then that shows a flaw in their recruitment processes and with the way the legal climate is these days, companies need to aware of these flaws otherwise they may find themselves open to litigation.

Highlights the importance of having robust recruitment processes, ignorance and negligence are no defence.
(edited 13 years ago)
^ this
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x
They could have a recruitment policy. Maybe during that particular recruitment drive they already had enough British born Muslims. Certain companies have to comply with strict ethnic and nationality regulations.

For example; the last company I worked for had to have no less then a 60:40 Male: Female split for selecting applicants. The only reason it was 60:40 and not the deal on equal of 50:50 was because there was more men applying for jobs in the IT sector than women.

This could have simply occurred due to equality regulations.

Example

They are taking on 20 people.

8 must be British white
8 must be British Muslim
4 Foreign Nationals

Quite simple

They already had 8 British Muslims hired and 4 Foreign Nationals, therefore they needed either a British White to comply with equality regulations.

Also, what is not mentioned, is the airport could have run a CRB check on both names, which is likely given the work place he was applying for.

The first name he used, ( his real name) could have came back with offenses on it whereas his second name - which he lied about, wouldn't have done - this is the daily mail after all. They'll miss out the minor details any day of the week to spout some ****.

1 - But it was the same "recuritment drive" (2 days difference).

2 - I doubt they would CRB everyone who applied. That would take too long and be too expensive. I'd imagine they would only CRB someone after interview.
Original post by babygirl110
Then that shows a flaw in their recruitment processes and with the way the legal climate is these days, companies need to aware of these flaws otherwise they may find themselves open to litigation.

Highlights the importance of having robust recruitment processes, ignorance and negligence are no defence.

Not really.

Let's say you get 100 applications per job, and you have 4 of the same job going. How do you set the standard for the CV stage without having seen all 400 CVs? You can't expect somebody from HR to go through 400 CVs, determine at what level they throw applications out, and then read through the 400 CVs again to filter candidates.

However, you would have a pretty good idea in your head when you start. If you get halfway through and realise that you don't have the quality candidates you thought you would, then it seems sensible to lower this standard.

At the end of the day, you should still end up with the best candidate for the job, because after say a telephone interview and face-to-face interview, you should be able to select the cream of the crop, which, let's be honest, you can't really do with just a CV/application form..
Original post by lonely14
Oh yes! All hail Daily Mail. :adore:

Are you one of those singularly unintelligent people that claims the Daily Mail is an unacceptable source for a simple fact, or are you merely aping what you consider to be an amusing TSR meme? If you are the latter I shoudl warn you that quite a few other members have decided to neg rep such indiscriminate use of the meme as yours.

The facts seem to be confirmed by an alternative source that certainly won't be politically allied to the newspaper:

http://www.islamophobia-watch.com/islamophobia-watch/2011/2/20/airline-accused-of-racial-discrimination.html
Original post by DarkWhite
Not really.

Let's say you get 100 applications per job, and you have 4 of the same job going. How do you set the standard for the CV stage without having seen all 400 CVs? You can't expect somebody from HR to go through 400 CVs, determine at what level they throw applications out, and then read through the 400 CVs again to filter candidates.

However, you would have a pretty good idea in your head when you start. If you get halfway through and realise that you don't have the quality candidates you thought you would, then it seems sensible to lower this standard.

At the end of the day, you should still end up with the best candidate for the job, because after say a telephone interview and face-to-face interview, you should be able to select the cream of the crop, which, let's be honest, you can't really do with just a CV/application form..

Tell that to the judge.

My point remains, companies should have a recruitment process that is standardised and fair in order to avoid such instances.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending