The Student Room Group

Why do you want to teach?

:s-smilie:

This question is probably the most important one in the PGCE interview?

Any tips on how you might answer this?
Reply 1
Why are you applying to teach if you don't even know why?
Reply 2
Original post by Kasc
Why are you applying to teach if you don't even know why?

Because that's the best job to get after I finish my degree (Religious Studies), but I cant say that

I need to sound more refined. Tips?
Reply 3
If it's RE specific you could mention how general religious knowledge is pretty low in today's society and how you think you could help to repair this.
Reply 4
I agree this one can sometimes be tricky to answer, even if you are really passionate about teaching, as you don't want to come across cheesy or fake, but want to show them how much you want it.

However, if you are applying because you think it's the best job to get, and not because you're 100% passionate and dedicated to teaching, you're in it for the wrong reasons and it will proabably turn out to be the wrong decision for you. The PGCE year is incredibly intense, all bursaries have been scrapped in RE, and there is no guarantee of a job at the end of it all. It may be a very expensive waste of a year if it's not what you really want to do.

Think about it carefully before applying!
Reply 5
I was ready for this question and wanted the person who interviewed me to ask me this question.
My answer was:
I strongly consider that teaching is a calling. As far back as I can remember, I have been inclined towards this profession. Adding to this has been the fact that I come from a family of highly qualified and passionate teachers, and thus the natural inclination towards the educational field.
Right from my early years, I have been very interested in the natural sciences. However, giving into family pressures of becoming an engineer, I studied Chemical Engineering at the graduate level. My first job as a chemical engineer put me in a work environment that seemed alien right from the beginning, and gave me a sense of extreme discomfort a feeling that I did not belong. The desire uppermost in my mind was to teach in a school where I could pass on my love for Biology to young minds. I took the plunge into school teaching in 2004 to follow my heart and my calling.
Something about haivng had inspirational teachers and wanting to follow in their footsteps and share knowledge for the greater good...
Re read your personal statement: why did you say you wanted to go into teaching there,a dn expand upon it.
Original post by Jawad22
Because that's the best job to get after I finish my degree (Religious Studies), but I cant say that

Well if this is the reason you want to go into teaching you shouldn't bother.
Reply 8
Original post by Jawad22

When you say 'best job' do you mean there is nothing else out there to do that is a secure job and well paid?

Do you even like kids/young people? If not you're going to have a tough time!

Anyway, to answer your question, say why R.E is important to teach young people about, what implications it has for society, and that you enjoy working with and inspiring young people... if you actually even do, that is... :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
i've wanted to teach since i was about 8 years old, haha.
i've always had the greatest respect for teachers and how hard they work to pass on knowledge to kids so that they can have a successful career later in their lives. it just seems the natural course for my life to take.
the thought of standing in front of a class of kids who are answering my questions correctly and participating in class discussions really makes me happy, and i dont think you could get a better sense of pride than knowing what you're doing is definitely making a difference in their lives.
even the kids who dont care about school are worth trying for and im up for that challenge :smile:

sorry for the essay, im pretty passionate about this :smile:
Reply 11
Please don't take this the wrong way, but PGCEs are incredibly tough, and if you don't really want to teach, then from what I've seen, you won't make it through the year.
Reply 12
It is such a crappy generic question to ask; and I would be wary of providers who ask such questions. I personally think, what will you bring to the teaching profession is a much harder question to answer, but covers the same sort of area.
Because I'm too thick to do anything else.
Reply 14
Original post by Jawad22

Kind of hard for people to tell YOU why YOU want to teach. If you don't know why you shouldn't be entering the profession, no offence.
Reply 15
In my opinion you have to make it subject specific if you're at Secondary level. I've no interest in teaching kids Maths, but every interest teaching them PE. You have to show that you love the subject first, before trying to convince an interviewer that you could make children love it too. All in my opinion of course.
Reply 16
Allows me to use my full potential, not just parts of it, i.e. get to use my full degree skills, my social skills etc. Plus, get to play an important part of the next generations growing up. No day will be the same, may be the same content, but different children will take it all in differently. Through my placements the more time im in a classroom, the more it feels like the right place to be
Reply 17
i do not know how to express my reasons
Original post by lolita241
i do not know how to express my reasons

Did you really need to bump a two and a half year old thread to tell us this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending