The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Official Nottingham Applicants Thread 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alexs2602
To be fair all the places you've applied to are very good so you'd be safe going to pretty much any of them. I'm not sure of their reputation exactly for neuroscience but if it was for maths I'd go for Bristol but it isnt so disregard what I just said :tongue:

i know. it doesnt make my decision easier. ive already said no to some better schools because i cant afford them or they are too close to home (in canada and in the US)

but i like the 5 schools im down between!! and so do my parents. my mom is leaning towards sending me to nottingham because she hates the way the US is looking these days.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by AmericanPsycho
I have already confirmed it, even though I haven't been up there, the course and the offer was just too good to say no to. I'm going to the open day on wednesday to get a good look around.

Nice, what course have you applied for?

I originally was thinking about doing that but I'm glad I did visit now because Manchester isn't for me.
Nice, what course have you applied for?

I originally was thinking about doing that but I'm glad I did visit now because Manchester isn't for me.

languages and business studies, which is PERFECT :smile:

what about you?

I'm hoping the campus is good because I've already confirmed the offer (but I've heard it's very nice, so no worries)

what type of accommodation do you want to apply for and what hall? because at the moment I'm stuck between a regular single room and an en-suite bathroom (I have no idea what hall to apply to yet)
Original post by Sandra1993
i know. it doesnt make my decision easier. ive already said no to some better schools because i cant afford them or they are too close to home (in canada and in the US)

but i like the 5 schools im down between!! and so do my parents. my mom is leaning towards sending me to nottingham because she hates the way the US is looking these days.

Do it, you'll have a blast. Nottingham is a great place to live and we dont have all the mad requirements you have. :tongue: There's so much to do at Nottingham; my ex goes there and each time I've visited her her and her friends always seem to be busy doing all these activities, one does first aid, archery, aerobics and this is just for fun, she doesnt have to do it.

What way is the US looking?
Original post by AmericanPsycho
languages and business studies, which is PERFECT :smile:

what about you?

I'm hoping the campus is good because I've already confirmed the offer (but I've heard it's very nice, so no worries)

what type of accommodation do you want to apply for and what hall? because at the moment I'm stuck between a regular single room and an en-suite bathroom (I have no idea what hall to apply to yet)

Oh right, cool. I'm going to do maths. :biggrin:

The campus is great; lots of greenery, the buildings are modern, well looked after and not ugly as sin, the accommodation is pretty decent too. Plus I really liked the lecture hall we had our presentations in.

You can't choose which hall but I'm going to stay in University Park so catered and single study probably.
Or an Indigo bus which goes to multiple entrances of the campus. £1.60 for a single and £3.10 for the day I think.

Ah, that's a good idea.
Still waiting on Law with Spanish etc. Fed up now. :|
Original post by LornaSandison1
Ah, that's a good idea.

Yep, cheap. I don't know too much about it, only what I've found out when I've visited a friend but its a good travel option.
Original post by LornaSandison1
Ah, that's a good idea.

Ive not heard of the £3.10 day ticket! It was £3.20 for a return or 2 singles last time I used it.

If you want more detail about how to get from the station to campus by bus, view this thread
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=29792256&highlight=
Original post by COSMICDOLPHIN
Ive not heard of the £3.10 day ticket! It was £3.20 for a return or 2 singles last time I used it.

If you want more detail about how to get from the station to campus by bus, view this thread
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=29792256&highlight=

To be fair I can't remember. I looked at the side of the bus and didnt commit it to memory because I didnt need to know it
I think it depends what you want out of the university. I personally wanted one with a large variety of modules to choose from, which I have from my top 3: Nottingham, Manchester and Southampton. Next I wanted somewhere I could feel at home, which I now find really important, and Nottingham fitted that for me. I visited both Manchester and Nottingham and I couldnt see myself at the former.

What is it you like about York's course?

It just seems to be a lot more involved than Nottingham, although many unis seem to have pretty much identical first and even second year maths courses, and considering i have absolutely no clue as to what i actually want to do afterwards, maybe its not that important anyway.

And yeah, I completely get what you're saying about the feeling at home thing. Back in September I was so focused on actually getting offers that I hadn't considered it that much, but I did feel quite at home at Nottingham when I visited last week and it's very near the top of my priorities in choosing a uni atm.
Original post by cookie4monster
It just seems to be a lot more involved than Nottingham, although many unis seem to have pretty much identical first and even second year maths courses, and considering i have absolutely no clue as to what i actually want to do afterwards, maybe its not that important anyway.

And yeah, I completely get what you're saying about the feeling at home thing. Back in September I was so focused on actually getting offers that I hadn't considered it that much, but I did feel quite at home at Nottingham when I visited last week and it's very near the top of my priorities in choosing a uni atm.

Wait, you went to the maths open day on wednesday? I was there too. :biggrin: Describe yourself? I was wearing purple converses, black jeans, black crombie jacket, grey hoodie and a grey t-shirt. Brown hair and glasses.

I know exactly what you mean though, I wanted a university that had a wide variety of modules to choose from and a good academic reputation which is exactly why I chose Nottingham, Manchester and Southampton but once I had done that I didn't know how to narrow it down even more. Luckily I visited two of my three favourites and I have a much better idea now.

More involved how? :s-smilie: Based on course content and structure alone I think Nottingham is fine considering you don't know what you want to do after the course for reasons mentioned earlier.
Wait, you went to the maths open day on wednesday? I was there too. :biggrin: Describe yourself? I was wearing purple converses, black jeans, black crombie jacket, grey hoodie and a grey t-shirt. Brown hair and glasses.

I know exactly what you mean though, I wanted a university that had a wide variety of modules to choose from and a good academic reputation which is exactly why I chose Nottingham, Manchester and Southampton but once I had done that I didn't know how to narrow it down even more. Luckily I visited two of my three favourites and I have a much better idea now.

More involved how? :s-smilie: Based on course content and structure alone I think Nottingham is fine considering you don't know what you want to do after the course for reasons mentioned earlier.

Asian with short black hair and a brown coat. York's course just seemed to get a bit more in-depth, as you got into third year, whereas with Nottingham (from what i gathered anyway) that's only the case if you do MMath. But Nottingham certainly has a wide variety of modules, which is deffo something that I'm looking for. The lower offer is also a big advantage over York anyway.
Asian with short black hair and a brown coat. York's course just seemed to get a bit more in-depth, as you got into third year, whereas with Nottingham (from what i gathered anyway) that's only the case if you do MMath. But Nottingham certainly has a wide variety of modules, which is deffo something that I'm looking for. The lower offer is also a big advantage over York anyway.

I think I might remember you. Girl, right? Out of curiosity what group were you in? I was in group 3.

You might be right about it being more in depth at York but I'm doing the 4 year MMath anyway so it doesnt make any difference to me. Would I be right in thinking you applied for G100? You can always switch up to G103 at Notts, though it is easier to switch down from G103 than up. I wouldnt worry too much about the course content beyond what you want to learn rather than what you up hope employers will appreciate.
I think I might remember you. Girl, right? Out of curiosity what group were you in? I was in group 3.

You might be right about it being more in depth at York but I'm doing the 4 year MMath anyway so it doesnt make any difference to me. Would I be right in thinking you applied for G100? You can always switch up to G103 at Notts, though it is easier to switch down from G103 than up. I wouldnt worry too much about the course content beyond what you want to learn rather than what you up hope employers will appreciate.

Yup :smile: Group 5

Yeah, I spoke to an MMath guy who said that it was equally easy to switch up or down, providing you did it before the end of second year and your marks haven't been awful, so it's an option; but really, i suppose a good range of modules amounts to the same-ish thing (unless I decide I actually want to do MMath anyway) and for that, Nottingham looks pretty good. :smile: Are you going to firm it then, or are you still waiting on any others?
Yup :smile: Group 5

Yeah, I spoke to an MMath guy who said that it was equally easy to switch up or down, providing you did it before the end of second year and your marks haven't been awful, so it's an option; but really, i suppose a good range of modules amounts to the same-ish thing (unless I decide I actually want to do MMath anyway) and for that, Nottingham looks pretty good. :smile: Are you going to firm it then, or are you still waiting on any others?

I think I remember you. Cute. ;p

Almost definitely, yeah. I want to visit Southampton but all their open days are fully booked :| I called them today so hopefully someone will cancel their spot. Southampton will prob be my insurance though.

Edit: Whoever neg repped me; was that really necessary? I mean I could have refrained from part of the above but it didnt really deserve a neg rep.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1316
Maths. Been leaning towards York for the past couple of months, but I'm now completely on the fence. :s-smilie: Much confused. Although, haven't heard back from all of mine yet, so we shall see...

where else have you applied?
Original post by Est.
where else have you applied?

York and Loughborough for G100. Well, those are the offers I have. Rejected from Bath and applied for MSci Maths with Statistics at Lancaster because it looked interesting. But in hindsight that was probably just a little stupid, considering I don't actually want to do stats. But oh well.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1318
Anyone else here doing an Engineering course of any kind at Nottingham 2011? I'm hoping to go there to do Chem Eng, got the AAB offers, now all I need is the grades =D!
Original post by Sw1tch
Got a conditional offer for BBC for biomedical materials science, absolutely ecstatic it was BBB on the prospectus :biggrin:

yeaaah, same :biggrin:

Though I have to get a B in Chemistry :/, when I was predicted BB for everything else and a C for Chemistry :L
They've made it hard for me in a way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending