The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mushi_master
The substantia gelatinosa is made up of layers I and II on the dorsal horn of spinal grey matter, it's where the A beta fibres interact with the primary afferents.

Ohhh. Ta :colondollar:
Original post by Woody.
So many people do it here. Some effectively copy them, some print them out, and others make small notes on them (what I do) when the lecturer says something that isn't in the notes/only appears on the powerpoint.

how do they have time to do that though? i think the fact that we always have the ppt slides in every lecture may be skewing my idea of what other people do?
Original post by John Locke
how do they have time to do that though? i think the fact that we always have the ppt slides in every lecture may be skewing my idea of what other people do?

What do you mean by time? I write notes in the lecture from the slides and from what the lecturer is saying, so it takes no more time than sitting in the lecture doing nothing.
Reply 1423
such a big PBL this week! Jasus
Is it just me or do some other people ponder how life would have been had they gone to another medical school (presuming you had the option, two offers etc)? I find myself doing it more and more recently and I don't think it's doing me any good.
tutorials!

Not sure a course exists that consists of tutorials, no PBL and no lectures.
Original post by RollerBall
Is it just me or do some other people ponder how life would have been had they gone to another medical school (presuming you had the option, two offers etc)? I find myself doing it more and more recently and I don't think it's doing me any good.

Nope as I literally didn't want to go to any other medical school - and would have turned down other offers.

I know that's the kinda stuff that makes Renal get vitriolic but hey ho.

Why - you're at a "good" one - what's making you feel this way?

Nor me :dontknow:

But when I applied UEA was always my favourite :yep:

:yes: But then I also seem to be pondering what life would have been if I'd stuck with my original degree choice, or if I'd done something completely non-sciencey.
Reply 1429
Original post by Kinkerz

Lectures are optional at many places.
So you could have just had tutorials & practicals at mine.

Shudder to think if I'd gone to my insurance... :tongue:

Yes, but mostly because I get fed up of London.
Original post by Elles
Lectures are optional at many places.
So you could have just had tutorials & practicals at mine.

Shudder to think if I'd gone to my insurance... :tongue:

That's a fair point. They're "optional" here, and consequently my attendance has been poor at lectures in year two. They're just such a dire way to learn though...
Original post by Kinkerz

well no because it'd be too expensive, a waste of time for tutors (who whats to tutor people on absolute basics?) and also unnecessary as the basics are easily understood from books with guidance (mostly on detail and topics) from a lecture.

That said, I would say the significant majority of our course is not lecture based.
well no because it'd be too expensive, a waste of time for tutors (who whats to tutor people on absolute basics?) and also unnecessary as the basics are easily understood from books with guidance (mostly on detail and topics) from a lecture.

The basics can be gleaned from books/other resources without much trouble. To me, the only time a lecture feels necessary is if it's about something that's not quite in the textbooks yet... the very up to date stuff.

We don't seem to get that. Our lectures are on the usual stuff that's covered in textbooks... except it's a person talking for an hour generally going through a pretty dismal powerpoint presentation.
Original post by Kinkerz
The basics can be gleaned from books/other resources without much trouble. To me, the only time a lecture feels necessary is if it's about something that's not quite in the textbooks yet... the very up to date stuff.

We don't seem to get that. Our lectures are on the usual stuff that's covered in textbooks... except it's a person talking for an hour generally going through a pretty dismal powerpoint presentation.

I would be fairly pissed if I were paying £3000/yr to read textbooks. If you take out our token amount of clinical teaching, we're 95% lectures.
Original post by Philosoraptor
Nope as I literally didn't want to go to any other medical school - and would have turned down other offers.

I know that's the kinda stuff that makes Renal get vitriolic but hey ho.

Why - you're at a "good" one - what's making you feel this way?

I'm not sure, I was always torn between what I eventually put as my firm and insurance and ultimately only put them the way they were because one was AAA and one was AAB.

Whenever I have slight tingles that I'm not fully enjoying myself I always turn to the "what if?" argument in my head. At the moment it's been brought on because I'm at home and don't really feel like going back. It's disconcerting when everyone I seem to speak to "can't wait to get back" and finds home so boring.

There are certain aspects that I am getting annoyed with as well, particularly the state of affairs with the union only being open for one night a week for sports teams. Because of this nobody really goes out much from my flat apart from that night which sucks.

Whenever the lectures are crap, I feel ****, miss XYZ etc I always return to what would it be like at the other place. Or if I get sick of London, etc. It's always when everyone else seems to be having a completely fantastic time, it's probably the same at the other place and I was just expecting too much with the way university is hyped up everywhere.

It doesn't help I've always had the thing that I always want to see how both things play out. In games I always save and play out both story lines if there's a decision, or look up both sides even if it's only minor differences. I'm really indecisive with minor things.

Original post by Becca-Sarah
:yes: But then I also seem to be pondering what life would have been if I'd stuck with my original degree choice, or if I'd done something completely non-sciencey.

Do you dwell on it at all?

Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
Nor me :dontknow:

But when I applied UEA was always my favourite :yep:

It was my favourite too, but every flaw I seem to find always makes me question if it would be like this elsewhere. Especially when I read other peoples accounts of the other place and it always addresses the flaw as being not an issue there.
(edited 13 years ago)
Do you dwell on it at all?

I never had an insurance; this was my only offer, so I don't have anywhere to directly compare it to and wish I was there instead. I do suspect that if I had the chance to apply again, I would have picked different universities, but I was very limited by my grades at the time. *touch wood* I'm trying to do my intercalated degree in London, so hopefully I will get the best of both worlds in learning to appreciate what I have here and seeing how other school's work.
I would be fairly pissed if I were paying £3000/yr to read textbooks. If you take out our token amount of clinical teaching, we're 95% lectures.

Why?

I don't feel like I know less than a second year at another school on a lecture-based course. I don't feel like I'd be any less competent at all.

I get that with lectures you might feel like you're getting 'something' for your money, but I'm not really fussed about that. We all pay the same amount... I just want a course that suits me, and I prefer to be more self-directed. Someone talking at me and 100 other people with a powerpoint just doesn't cut it in my opinion.
Original post by Kinkerz
Why?

I don't feel like I know less than a second year at another school on a lecture-based course. I don't feel like I'd be any less competent at all.

I get that with lectures you might feel like you're getting 'something' for your money, but I'm not really fussed about that. We all pay the same amount... I just want a course that suits me, and I prefer to be more self-directed. Someone talking at me and 100 other people with a powerpoint just doesn't cut it in my opinion.

I wasn't aiming that at PBL, because clearly there is some direction in having a facilitator and setting learning outcomes. I got the impression you were saying that you'd rather learn independently from a textbook full stop rather than from a lecture.

And as for your bit in bold - I'm an English student in Scotland, so I guess I think more about what I'm paying for when others around me are getting it for free.
I wasn't aiming that at PBL, because clearly there is some direction in having a facilitator and setting learning outcomes. I got the impression you were saying that you'd rather learn independently from a textbook full stop rather than from a lecture.

Oh, I think some guidance is obviously necessary. I would prefer totally independent to lectures, but I think independent plus smaller group tutorials would be ideal.
And as for your bit in bold - I'm an English student in Scotland, so I guess I think more about what I'm paying for when others around me are getting it for free.
Ah, maketh sense.

Latest

Trending

Trending