The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hiya my investagation iis " How television affects children" what do you think about that for a title?:smile:
Reply 2
Mine is comparing suicide rates in Wales and the US

God I hate welsh bac. Its so pointless and tidious and only one of my uni offers contain it anyway and argh!
Reply 3
Original post by magicalelf

God I hate welsh bac. Its so pointless and tidious and only one of my uni offers contain it anyway and argh!

Nice and cheerful then :')

Totally agree with you there, its so completely pointless! Plus if you don't wanna go to Uni in Wales, its really a huge waste of time :L

Both good titles though (Y)
:biggrin:
Reply 4
What exactly is the Individual Investigation? I'm doing the Welsh Bac. as well and they haven't mentioned this yet. Is this more pointless work the school have been hiding from me?:mad:

I've done a Powerpoint on a topic, and an essay comparing two sources. Hopefully one of them is it.:s-smilie: :L

Azzie_May
Totally agree with you there, its so completely pointless! Plus if you don't wanna go to Uni in Wales, its really a huge waste of time :L

I used to think that, but now I'm beginning to see it's not a total waste of time. Surprisingly some universities, for example, Manchester and Exeter actually accept it instead of a third A-Level in their offers. It's like getting a free A-Level for writing reports, filling in booklets and lying about stuff.:rolleyes:
Reply 5
Original post by Dusty12
What exactly is the Individual Investigation? I'm doing the Welsh Bac. as well and they haven't mentioned this yet. Is this more pointless work the school have been hiding from me?:mad:

Oh trust me, you'll know when you've done the Investigation :L Basically you pick a topic, lets say binge drinking for exapmle, then compare stuuf on that topic for Wales and another country in the form of several subtopics. Its got to be a minimum of 2500 words in total, so I don't think you've done yours yet :smile: Oh and there's no upper limit too, so my word count came to around 6500 words :colondollar:

I can see what you're saying, its useful in some cases, but for me its a huge waste of time and effort :L
Reply 6
Lol sorry about the typos, thats what I get for not proof reading :P
Mine was the comparison of Dental Caries ( tooth decay) in Children in Wales and England when I did it last year. Was initially meant to be Wales and USA but I could find a lot more information for England.

I included several graphs, charts, figures and colours and passed with flying colours! :biggrin:
Argh I remember this, I did something boring like comparing the recycling systems in Wales and Germany. Only passed it by one mark haha. Still, it got me into Soton so not complaining.
Reply 9
Original post by Azzie_May
Oh trust me, you'll know when you've done the Investigation :L Basically you pick a topic, lets say binge drinking for exapmle, then compare stuuf on that topic for Wales and another country in the form of several subtopics. Its got to be a minimum of 2500 words in total, so I don't think you've done yours yet :smile: Oh and there's no upper limit too, so my word count came to around 6500 words :colondollar:

I can see what you're saying, its useful in some cases, but for me its a huge waste of time and effort :L

Oh god.:nooo:
Minimum 2500?!!

I'm already dreading it now. Maybe I'll do mine on the rates and cases of depression and suicide in Welsh Baccalaureate students.:dry:
Original post by Dusty12
Oh god.:nooo:
Minimum 2500?!!

I'm already dreading it now. Maybe I'll do mine on the rates and cases of depression and suicide in Welsh Baccalaureate students.:dry:

LOOOOL
Reply 11
Original post by Deutsch_Beth
LOOOOL

I reckon I could actually do it. Some of our teacher hate the Bac. more than I do, so they'd sign anything off if it meant I missed fewer lessons because of 'Gwaith Bac.'.:tongue:

I'd better start thinking of a proper topic anyway. Is it subject related?:s-smilie:
I don't want to do anything Biology-related because it'd probably end up as some sort of horrible project on tapeworms or something disgusting.:erm:
It'll have to be one of my other subjects.

If it doesn't have to be connected to any of my subjects, I'm determined to think of something amusing and lighthearted. Preferably something where I can include adorable pictures of hedgehogs like THIS one.:awesome:

It can't be worse than 'Gweithio gydag eraill' and all those pages on communication and teamwork though, can it? It better not be.:mad:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Dusty12
I reckon I could actually do it. Some of our teacher hate the Bac. more than I do, so they'd sign anything off if it meant I missed fewer lessons because of 'Gwaith Bac.'.:tongue:

I'd better start thinking of a proper topic anyway. Is it subject related?:s-smilie:
I don't want to do anything Biology-related because it'd probably end up as some sort of horrible project on tapeworms or something disgusting.:erm:
I don't really want to do it in Welsh, so it'll either be English Lit. or French-related.

If it doesn't have to be connected to any of my subjects, I'm determined to think of something amusing and lighthearted. Preferably something where I can include adorable pictures of hedgehogs like THIS one. And maybe I'll compare modern Wales and Middle Earth, just to get the cultural element in.:awesome:

It can't be worse than 'Gweithio gydag eraill' and all those pages on communication and teamwork though, can it? It better not be.:mad:

No it doesn't have to be subject related, its just got to be vaguely relevant to the Welsh Bac topics, like mine was on sexuality, which barely links to anything in the course :P
Haha Middle Earth FTW!! I reckon you could get away with that, provided you find enough sources :wink:

And yes. The Investigation is the single worst element of the entire qualification. It will screw with your mind. Unless you're also studying English, in which case you'd get off on it.
Reply 13
I've taught the Invidual investigation to my ex students, until i got removed from the school. It is useful that we have the internet otherwise i wouldnt be able to interact with young adults.
I have a lot of ideas for the Investigations, contact me for some ideas. We can talk privatley.
Reply 14
Original post by t3ach3r69

Original post by t3ach3r69
I've taught the Invidual investigation to my ex students, until i got removed from the school. It is useful that we have the internet otherwise i wouldnt be able to interact with young adults.
I have a lot of ideas for the Investigations, contact me for some ideas. We can talk privatley.

Offically the creepiest post i've ever read....
i've just started mine now, mine is called Euthanasia and the law, looking at what issues people face in Countries like Wales compared to somewhere like Switzerland where Euthanasia (assisted suicide) is allowed.

i'm stuck on what to write for my analysis and conclusion, i've collected all my data, collated it all, produced graphs and charts, just the rest of it has stumped me, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Original post by Azzie_May
For all the Welshies being subjected to the Welsh Baccalaureate, I was thinking about the Individual Investgation and got curious about what other people's titles/topics are :biggrin: Just being nosey really :awesome:

My topic is Boron Nitride and it's Uses in Wales and It's uses in Europe.

I'm the geek of my year, so I'm forever getting the mick taken out of me for my topic :mad:
Reply 17
Original post by chloelouiise
My topic is Boron Nitride and it's Uses in Wales and It's uses in Europe.

I'm the geek of my year, so I'm forever getting the mick taken out of me for my topic :mad:

Ah a future chemisry student I take it? :smile: Sounds rather interesting actually, ignore all the non-geeks! :P What is it used for then? :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by magicalelf

I'm thinking of doing this with wales and Oregon, what statistics and facts did you include? :smile:
"Sut mae safonau addysg yng Nghymru a Lloegr yn cymharu?"

Or, alternatively, "how do the standards of education in Wales and England compare?"

The Bacc is the most useless excuse for a subject ever devised. I've learned the square root of nothing and only one of the unis I'm applying to actually accept it - and my grades in my proper subjects are good enough to get into that uni anyway. Honestly, I'd probably rather fail it than pass it.

Latest