The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ours is 95% lecture based too, and to be honest I'm pretty thankful for that. Lectures are of course, boring most of the time, but atleast attending lectures means I don't have to hunt for what might come up in the exam in a text book, which let's face it, takes a lot of effort :P I still use textbooks from time to time, to supplement something interesting or explain something better than the lecturer who waffled on about his research and all the associated graphs, but for the most part I feel I get the level of detail I need from the lecture notes.
Original post by Mushi_master
Well, when working throughout the year it's more like an hour per lecture making notes - 15/20 mins is what I'd spend on a first run through when revising over Easter. Each lecture totally varies of course.

Aren't some of the sample questions on the VC related to phase 2? I didn't use them so not sure. You never know, some may end on the black market around revision time.

Ah ok. Oh gosh yeah, I completely forget about the ones related to phase 2 on the VC! Thank you. Did you get the SSC choices you wanted by the way? We just submitted ours but I'm guessing not everyone gets one of their 6 choices! :tongue:
Original post by Kinkerz
The basics can be gleaned from books/other resources without much trouble. To me, the only time a lecture feels necessary is if it's about something that's not quite in the textbooks yet... the very up to date stuff.

We don't seem to get that. Our lectures are on the usual stuff that's covered in textbooks... except it's a person talking for an hour generally going through a pretty dismal powerpoint presentation.

i think it might be a department thing, there aren't many lectures i've been to that i feel i could reproduce in less than 50mins... if any! that's not to say i couldn't do the same without it but it would take much longer. Experimental evidence is generally covered much better by lectures than text books as well as they don't have the space that would be required to do so. plus having a researcher lecturing means youre guided more towards experiments considered to be most 'important' in terms of what they show.
Original post by billet-doux
Ah ok. Oh gosh yeah, I completely forget about the ones related to phase 2 on the VC! Thank you. Did you get the SSC choices you wanted by the way? We just submitted ours but I'm guessing not everyone gets one of their 6 choices! :tongue:

I got my first choice last year (and we won on our poster presentation :tongue:), but it was a less popular one (polycystic kidney disease). This year I got my 5th choice for my taught module, and am currently having my arse kicked by my 2nd choice library project.
Original post by John Locke
i think it might be a department thing, there aren't many lectures i've been to that i feel i could reproduce in less than 50mins... if any! that's not to say i couldn't do the same without it but it would take much longer.

Do you feel you know it well after? Yeah, a lecture doesn't take that long, but to know the material well you'll have to go over it etc. That process in combination with the lecture is no faster really and makes learning more narrowed in my opinion.

Experimental evidence is generally covered much better by lectures than text books as well as they don't have the space that would be required to do so. plus having a researcher lecturing means youre guided more towards experiments considered to be most 'important' in terms of what they show.
This is where lectures and lecture-related things are positive in my book. Most here just reproduce things you can easily get in a more logical order/more comprehensively covered in a book.
Original post by Kinkerz
Do you feel you know it well after? Yeah, a lecture doesn't take that long, but to know the material well you'll have to go over it etc. That process in combination with the lecture is no faster really and makes learning more narrowed in my opinion.

No, not all of it, its much too fast. I know loads more than i would if i read a book for an hour though, i know what bits to read again or think about (often only really need the latter!) which is much more efficient than going through all of it from scratch (as far as i can see?) and leaves you more time to read more complicated things than basics, which is essential for our other exams.

Original post by Kinkerz

This is where lectures and lecture-related things are positive in my book. Most here just reproduce things you can easily get in a more logical order/more comprehensively covered in a book.

course feedback? do others agree?
I'd possibly be better off asking the pharmacists, but do any of you know the cheapest way of getting diclofenac (or similar) OTC? I've tried Voltareze, but at £7/pack I'm not keen.
Does anyone know if there is a reason why you shouldn't/can't measure b.p. or take blood from an arm after an axillary clearance? Obviously a fair time post-op, not in the same hour.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1448
Original post by Fission_Mailed
Does anyone know if there is a reason why you shouldn't/can't measure b.p. or take blood from an arm after an axillary clearance? Obviously a fair time post-op, not in the same hour.

I thought it was because the arm can become swollen
lymph?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1449
Original post by RollerBall
I'm not sure, I was always torn between what I eventually put as my firm and insurance and ultimately only put them the way they were because one was AAA and one was AAB.

Whenever I have slight tingles that I'm not fully enjoying myself I always turn to the "what if?" argument in my head. At the moment it's been brought on because I'm at home and don't really feel like going back. It's disconcerting when everyone I seem to speak to "can't wait to get back" and finds home so boring.

There are certain aspects that I am getting annoyed with as well, particularly the state of affairs with the union only being open for one night a week for sports teams. Because of this nobody really goes out much from my flat apart from that night which sucks.

Whenever the lectures are crap, I feel ****, miss XYZ etc I always return to what would it be like at the other place. Or if I get sick of London, etc. It's always when everyone else seems to be having a completely fantastic time, it's probably the same at the other place and I was just expecting too much with the way university is hyped up everywhere.

It doesn't help I've always had the thing that I always want to see how both things play out. In games I always save and play out both story lines if there's a decision, or look up both sides even if it's only minor differences. I'm really indecisive with minor things.

Do you dwell on it at all?

It was my favourite too, but every flaw I seem to find always makes me question if it would be like this elsewhere. Especially when I read other peoples accounts of the other place and it always addresses the flaw as being not an issue there.

Sometimes yes, especially as I've been having some problems with my friends recently
and there was a period where PBL wasn't working for me
and I am so far away from home here -- like you I like home, I am close to my family and have a lot of close friends in my home city who have stayed there -- my other option was significantly closer and meant I could have gone home a lot easier

I don't think it's worth pondering on, but I try to remind myself it's normal to have doubts. I was always torn when it came to making a decision but I remind myself why it is I chose this course. Not everyone will be 'I can't wait' to go back I think that's just the said thing.
Reply 1450
Any of the BL lot planning to be in the Griff tomorrow?
Original post by Fission_Mailed

I think its impaired lymph drainage. Sometimes people end up with it being quite debilitating, both cosmetically and in terms of function.
Reply 1452
Junior doctors starting! actual excitement.
lack of tv license means its 10pm iplayer refresh! just enough time to finish reading pharyngeal arch reviews... :tongue:

lack of tv license means its 10pm iplayer refresh!

:five:

Although I'm busy watching The Inbetweeners. First time watching it and I've got through the whole first series in a night :facepalm:
Original post by Becca-Sarah
I'd possibly be better off asking the pharmacists, but do any of you know the cheapest way of getting diclofenac (or similar) OTC? I've tried Voltareze, but at £7/pack I'm not keen.

Lloyds Pharmacy do a high strength ibuprofen that was pretty good
http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=1008&storeId=90&productId=330171&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=33260&top=&top_category=&fromPage=Search&hotspot_prefix=
No, not all of it, its much too fast. I know loads more than i would if i read a book for an hour though, i know what bits to read again or think about (often only really need the latter!) which is much more efficient than going through all of it from scratch (as far as i can see?) and leaves you more time to read more complicated things than basics, which is essential for our other exams.

See if ours were like that, I'd perhaps agree with you. But the vast majority aren't.

course feedback? do others agree?

They'd never change it even if it was a totally unanimous opinion. It'd involve too much of a course remodel.
Most others feel content with the lectures, to be honest. But most of the people on my course aren't quite as nerdy as me and therefore learn the minimum level science/general detail they can get away with. As a result they're perfectly happy to memorise the lecture slides we get. Maybe it's just my - and a select few others' - problem :p:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1457
Hmm but I watch it online so I don't need one I don't think? /ponders/

So far disappointing tbh. Don't get why they're living together?
Original post by lekky
Hmm but I watch it online so I don't need one I don't think? /ponders/

So far disappointing tbh. Don't get why they're living together?

If you watch it live online then theoretically you do :holmes:

If it's post-showing then you don't :yep:
Reply 1459
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
If you watch it live online then theoretically you do :holmes:

If it's post-showing then you don't :yep:

Oh dear.

Latest

Trending

Trending