The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mastermind`
Pepe's brother or not, why shouldn't they complain? Some of the stuff done by English clubs (not only Arsenal) is scandalous, something needs to be done about it.

I wouldn't say it's scandalous, Arsenal could have taken the player for nothing, but gave £350,000 to Barcelona for him.

Certainly there needs to be consistency between the European FAs as to how to deal with young players' contracts, but at the end of the day what Arsenal have done is fair play - they went about it the right way.

Clearly there is no innocence from the rest of the top clubs in England - the furore over the transfers of Mikel, Pogba and Kakuta to name but a few.
Anyone with any logic would abide by the motto 'don't blame the players, blame the game'. If English clubs are allowed to offer professional contracts at 16 and Spanish clubs aren't, that's not the problem of English clubs. The BBC report says that the kid was free to sign for any team.
Original post by In2deep
oooooh KEV :console:

Spoiler

Cba..... :colonhash:
Well done on winding Barca up. Edit: They really really annoy me.
Original post by marcusmerehay
I wouldn't say it's scandalous, Arsenal could have taken the player for nothing, but gave £350,000 to Barcelona for him.

Certainly there needs to be consistency between the European FAs as to how to deal with young players' contracts, but at the end of the day what Arsenal have done is fair play - they went about it the right way.

Clearly there is no innocence from the rest of the top clubs in England - the furore over the transfers of Mikel, Pogba and Kakuta to name but a few.

It is scandalous considering Barca have developed the guy in the best environment in world football. Do you think £350,000 is enough? The money is rarely enough compensation, imo. Does that really show the potential of the player? He was developed by Barcelona, not Crawley Town. If this guy reaches his potential and wants to go back to Barca in the future and Barca want him (which wouldn't be surprising), then I'm sure Arsenal won't take into consideration that he spent a good chunk of his development at Barca. Not saying Arsenal or any other English clubs aren't going through the correct procedures, but you can't blame Barca or any other clubs where this happens for complaining.
Well Barcelona made approaches to Benik Afobe and Chucks Aneke last year and the players rejected them. It's the player's choice.
MM we know full well your opinion is only influenced by your hatred of Arsenal. Its yet another footballing argument based on where you draw a perceived moral line; just like the one about sugar daddies, milking tragedies, whether clubs should field more english players etc. They go no where and just get tiresome.
Original post by Jeppasloth
MM we know full well your opinion is only influenced by your hatred of Arsenal. Its yet another footballing argument based on where you draw a perceived moral line; just like the one about sugar daddies, milking tragedies, whether clubs should field more english players etc. They go no where and just get tiresome.

I also stated how it is unethical for other English clubs to do it. You're probably just trying to get a reaction out of me but you won't. Put me on ignore. :yy:

Edit: I've also never debated about any other of the things you've mentioned. Either you're drunk or being a ****. Probably the latter. :bandit:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Overmars
Why do I get the feeling the players weren't totally focused on the game?

Spoiler

:toofunny:

:rofl: Though I can't blame them. :nah: :tongue:

Original post by antonfigo
Fan's POV of arshavin's goal...look how quiet it gets for nasri's pass ...damn its intense :coma:

:awesome:
I also stated how it is unethical for other English clubs to do it. You're probably just trying to get a reaction out of me but you won't. Put me on ignore. :yy:

Edit: I've also never debated about any other of the things you've mentioned. Either you're drunk or being a ****. Probably the latter. :bandit:

You've missed the whole point of my post. All of these issues boil down to footballing "ethics", which are largely determined by the team you support. There are so many proper ethical issues in football (See Nirav's post in the ultimate thread) it seems a bit ridiculous that you take issue with one very rich club signing a player from another very rich club.

Edit: Its not just you. I'm guilty of it too, as are most Arsenal fans and most United fans. Recently I've realised quite how futile all these arguments are.
You've missed the whole point of my post. All of these issues boil down to footballing "ethics", which are largely determined by the team you support. There are so many proper ethical issues in football (See Nirav's post in the ultimate thread) it seems a bit ridiculous that you take issue with one very rich club signing a player from another very rich club.

You stated my whole opinion is influence with my hatred for Arsenal - what does that have to do with anything? It seemed out of the blue (pun unintended) and the sort of post that T.Adams would make. I won't ignore it just because it involves rich clubs, it's still an issue. Hell, are Barcelona even a 'very rich' club? I understand poor clubs can suffer from it too e.g. Bostock from Crystal Palace. I assume you're refering to Nirav's post about Rooney? For every English scrote there's also a Drogba, who does a lot of charity in Ivory Coast, Berbatov who also does some charity work, etc. There are always debates about that stuff. If you find debates are going nowhere and getting tiresome then forums are probably not for you.
You stated my whole opinion is influence with my hatred for Arsenal - what does that have to do with anything? It seemed out of the blue (pun unintended) and the sort of post that T.Adams would make. I won't ignore it just because it involves rich clubs, it's still an issue. Hell, are Barcelona even a 'very rich' club? I understand poor clubs can suffer from it too e.g. Bostock from Crystal Palace. I assume you're refering to Nirav's post about Rooney? For every English scrote there's also a Drogba, who does a lot of charity in Ivory Coast, Berbatov who also does some charity work, etc. There are always debates about that stuff. If you find debates are going nowhere and getting tiresome then forums are probably not for you.

Well I think you are just looking to take an issue up with the thread you constantly take issues up on. Now you'll ask me to prove it and of course I can't, just an off hand comment. The point is both clubs will be fine either way, its not like Crystal Palace (as you say) who desperately need mega money.

Alright so if Drogba doing charity work makes Rooney's antics ok, then does City spending £25 million on a Barca reserve player make what Arsenal do ok?

Fortunately these forums have quite a lot of informed posters and I think on the whole its quite civilised considering how many different clubs everyone supports.
Well I think you are just looking to take an issue up with the thread you constantly take issues up on. Now you'll ask me to prove it and of course I can't, just an off hand comment. The point is both clubs will be fine either way, its not like Crystal Palace (as you say) who desperately need mega money.

Alright so if Drogba doing charity work makes Rooney's antics ok, then does City spending £25 million on a Barca reserve player make what Arsenal do ok?

Fortunately these forums have quite a lot of informed posters and I think on the whole its quite civilised considering how many different clubs everyone supports.

It's a forum, the whole point is to discuss, challenge each others views, right? Marcus was indicating that Barca don't have a right to complain, I was challenging that view (just like how you are challenging my view right now). If you're saying I shouldn't take issues up because I'm bias (which I am) then you probably shouldn't be challenging my views (considering you are a Man City fan, probably want Arsenal to win the league, have expressed that Barca 'annoy' you, etc). Obviously, Barca don't need mega money but I'm sure they have targets they want to meet in the future. Puyol will retire in a few years, they'll need someone to replace him. Of course, it is a lot of ifs and buts but just because Barcelona have more money than Crystal Palace it doesn't make it any less wrong. I'm also not blaming Arsenal, but the game, so you're missing the point.

No, it doesn't make Rooney's antics OK, just saying that not all footballers are like Rooney, arguments can be made for what they earn, etc. Who's to say the nurses Nirav was watching were all morally perfect? Are you reffering to Toure? Completely different scenarios. You paid for his ability, you paid how much you valued him and both sides reached an agreement.

Anyhow, let's call the truce. Arsenal have a match in 45 minutes or so.
Team v Stoke: Szczesny, Sagna, Djourou, Squillaci, Clichy, Song, Wilshere, Nasri, Fabregas, Walcott, Bendtner

It's the expected line up tbh. That team has enough to win comfortably but I'll be dreading every Stoke throw in :colonhash:
Reply 4514
Ummm... Is it not on TV? :sad:
Original post by R-KAM
Ummm... Is it not on TV? :sad:

No all showing CL. Fair few streams around though
Wilshere is just god. Walcott already hit the post =/
awwwwww yeaah squid
Squillaci scored :colondollar:
Reply 4519
I hope this isn't one of those days...

EDIT: Whoop, it isn't. :awesome:

Latest