The Student Room Group

Cambridge 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1100
Original post by libsen
Hello!

Yeyy, i haven't seen many on TSR... which college have you got your offer at?

Oh and welcome to TSR, just noticed that you've got 10 posts...
Reply 1101
Original post by CathySarah
My best friend will be an English Girtonian! I'm (hopefully) going to be an English Jesuit :smile: is anybody else Jesus? (the potential joke value of the college is basically the reason I applied)

Sweet :smile: Was he/she pooled 'cause I might've met him/her at re-interview?
You definitely can't beat living inside Jesus! I hear the food is heavenly :wink:
Original post by CathySarah
I may have to join you there! My friend's brother is 2nd Year Land Economy at Catz and her boyfreind is 2nd Year History. Yes, she is going out with her brother's best friend. I'm also really excited about the Cinema at Christ's.

What's the land ec's name? I'm a catz medic
Original post by jazzyyazzy6
What's the land ec's name? I'm a catz medic

George Blacksell
Original post by katem32
Sweet :smile: Was he/she pooled 'cause I might've met him/her at re-interview?
You definitely can't beat living inside Jesus! I hear the food is heavenly :wink:

Girton was her first choice, so she got in straight away! Apparently accomodation at Jesus and food at Christ's is divine :wink:
Original post by TomU
Cool :smile: So what offers do you hold?

<embarrassed cough> by the time I got round to sifting the massive pile of other potential UCAS choices it was the day before Cam's letters were sent out - so I did spend a few days quietly and cautiously going 'well, do I want to accept?' while everyone around me went 'DUHHH!'. :smile: (unconditional because I've got a good backlog of OU and language study OK IT'S STILL NOT REAL <flaps worriedly>)
Reply 1106
It might be a dumb question, but my condition says:

"You must obtain a final overall GPA of at least 3.85 in your BSBA in 2011"

does it mean I need a final overal GPA of 3.85 of my four years college, or a GPA of 3.85 of year 2011?

Thank you all!
Reply 1107
Original post by zhu8pi
It might be a dumb question, but my condition says:

"You must obtain a final overall GPA of at least 3.85 in your BSBA in 2011"

does it mean I need a final overal GPA of 3.85 of my four years college, or a GPA of 3.85 of year 2011?

Thank you all!

that's pretty vague :rolleyes: why not email them and ask?
Reply 1108
Original post by Jacke02
Yeyy, i haven't seen many on TSR... which college have you got your offer at?

Oh and welcome to TSR, just noticed that you've got 10 posts...
#

Pembroke! And you?

I'm eyeing up all the modules for arch&anth though because they look fascinating (and much more fun than 'European Political Thought 1546-1967' or whatever)
Reply 1109
Original post by libsen
#

Pembroke! And you?

I'm eyeing up all the modules for arch&anth though because they look fascinating (and much more fun than 'European Political Thought 1546-1967' or whatever)

Same! The bio anthropology module looks really good, about evolution and society and all that... im thinking about doing psych in year 2 which it would compliment really well. To be honest I'd rather do more things in my first year like anthropology and sociology than just psychology, which is by second choice, so its all good.
And my offer is at corpus :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by jjarvis
Yeah, the nature of law is such that if you read in full every case required for a particular supervision essay or problem, you would simply never sleep. When you're assigned twenty or thirty cases, several articles, and a hundred pages of textbook reading, it's just not feasible to read it all in full. There's various shortcuts you can take--though I try to look at the judgments for at least the cases I cite, even if I can't read them in full/tackle all the dissenting judgments. I spend more time trying to get to grips with principles and how they apply, figuring I can get into more critical analysis/detail in the vacations when I figure out what I'm revising for exams.

:zomg:
Original post by Doughnuts!!

You guys shouldn't read this thread :p: Enjoy a few months more of blissful ignorance.
Original post by Craghyrax
You guys shouldn't read this thread :p: Enjoy a few months more of blissful ignorance.

I actually think that I should stop. I'm getting scared now! :redface:
Reply 1113
Original post by Craghyrax

Haha yes, I do remember venturing on here as an offer-holder and posting something along the lines of ":eek2: omg what am I in forrrrrrr?" and then I got to Cambridge and it was actually worse than I'd anticipated but somehow more bearable because you just get caught up in the misery of permanently feeling like you are behind in everything and forget that there was ever a time when you weren't experiencing a constant looming dread and it just becomes sort of normal :p:

Should probably clarify - I MISS the constant looming dread. Seriously. Real life doesn't have enough deadlines to miss.
Original post by Zoedotdot
Haha yes, I do remember venturing on here as an offer-holder and posting something along the lines of ":eek2: omg what am I in forrrrrrr?" and then I got to Cambridge and it was actually worse than I'd anticipated but somehow more bearable because you just get caught up in the misery of permanently feeling like you are behind in everything and forget that there was ever a time when you weren't experiencing a constant looming dread and it just becomes sort of normal :p:

Should probably clarify - I MISS the constant looming dread. Seriously. Real life doesn't have enough deadlines to miss.

I'm getting the hell off this thread now. I'm going to try and enjoy A2's now... :colonhash:
Reply 1115
Original post by Doughnuts!!

I'm getting the hell off this thread now. I'm going to try and enjoy A2's now... :colonhash:

Another thing that I should say is that while being at Cambridge is extremely hard work, it's also sort of addictive hard work. I'd never found anything really THAT hard before I went to university, and working full time on my year abroad has plunged me back into a world where nothing is really quite so challenging. I mean, having to speak Russian all the time is pretty difficult, but it's still not quite the same amount of pressure. My brain feels like it's rotting a little bit actually, I'm having to bury myself in dissertation work to feel like I'm really pushing myself. So look forward to the challenge :smile:
while being at Cambridge is extremely hard work, it's also sort of addictive hard work. I'd never found anything really THAT hard before I went to university, {...} So look forward to the challenge :smile:

This is so, so, true. It's incredibly hard work, but it's brilliant because for the first time in your life you might be really pushed. And it is addictive. (Not sure it's a good thing that Cambridge can turn you into a workaholic, but if you love the work then maybe it's not so bad?)

doughnuts!!
x

I should also note, Dougnuts, that you'll get a slightly gentler introduction than affiliated law students do--four papers instead of five in your first year at Cambridge, and you don't have to do contract or land when you've never studied law. Those come in second year. In all honesty, it's amazing. Don't let us scare you too much! Everyone else will be in the same boat, and most people manage fine.
Another thing that I should say is that while being at Cambridge is extremely hard work, it's also sort of addictive hard work. I'd never found anything really THAT hard before I went to university, and working full time on my year abroad has plunged me back into a world where nothing is really quite so challenging. I mean, having to speak Russian all the time is pretty difficult, but it's still not quite the same amount of pressure. My brain feels like it's rotting a little bit actually, I'm having to bury myself in dissertation work to feel like I'm really pushing myself. So look forward to the challenge :smile:

I've now gone from being incredibly frightened to being incredibly excited?

I never really fell like I'm pushing myself to my full limits so the workload at Cambridge now sounds slightly less frightening and more like a challenge that I want to try and tackle! :drool:

Original post by jjarvis
This is so, so, true. It's incredibly hard work, but it's brilliant because for the first time in your life you might be really pushed. And it is addictive. (Not sure it's a good thing that Cambridge can turn you into a workaholic, but if you love the work then maybe it's not so bad?)

I should also note, Dougnuts, that you'll get a slightly gentler introduction than affiliated law students do--four papers instead of five in your first year at Cambridge, and you don't have to do contract or land when you've never studied law. Those come in second year. In all honesty, it's amazing. Don't let us scare you too much! Everyone else will be in the same boat, and most people manage fine.

Aww, you guys are great. I'm now less worried (though still a bit wary :p:)

:hugs:
Reply 1118
Considering the workload (I will be doing Economics):
How much time does one have for sport, societies , improving language skills (the Cambridge language centre),...
Original post by Bumbl
Considering the workload (I will be doing Economics):
How much time does one have for sport, societies , improving language skills (the Cambridge language centre),...

I think most people would struggle to do all of the above, although it is perfectly doable if you limited the amount of time you spent, say, just sitting on Facebook.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending