The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Of_the_hook
And how did Roxy spend £3 million in less than a year :s-smilie:

I'm pretty sure sometime last week or the week before, EE lost about 2 million viewers in one night but seemed to have picked up again. I think it'll get worse after the baby reveal and the Whitney storyline cos there's nothing new going on other than

Spoiler

Wish the producers were a bit original tbh

Yes I forgot about Roxy, that's another to add to the list!

Why is Zainab's ex-husband staying at the B&B btw? I must have missed this the other day.

And I think the reason it will always have relatively good viewing figures is that a lot of the viewers are people who watch it religiously. I know lots of older ladies who do this and would carry on watching it out of habit even if they didn't particularly enjoy it. I used to only watch it if something interesting was happening but I've started watching it all the time now but in the background so I always miss bits :rolleyes: but it's not that good anyway!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by -honeybee-

Why is Zainab's ex-husband staying at the B&B btw? I must have missed this the other day.

And I think the reason it will always have relatively good viewing figures is that a lot of the viewers are people who watch it religiously. I know lots of older ladies I know who do this and would carry on watching it out of habit even if they didn't particularly enjoy it. I used to only watch it if something interesting was happening but I've started watching it all the time now but in the background so I always miss bits :rolleyes: but it's not that good anyway!

BiB: he wanted to be close to Afia and Tamwar if they settle in the square after they get 'married'. :dontknow: Something like that? does anyone else think he's a little bit attractive? :blush:

I wonder if there's going to be doubt over Syed's paternity? That could be interesting! Though Zainab and Masood have been married 28 years as they keep saying and Syed's only 26. It would explain why they bothered introducing him! :tongue:

Yeah, EE is really dry atm! It's getting a bit better with the Whitney storyline but nothing much is really going on. I keep it on in the background too. High viewing figures don't mean EE is good because it's ****! People just don't switch off because there's nothing else to watch....
I almost miss crazy baby-obsessed Santer!
I only watch Eastenders now and again and I'll be honest I love it. I swear I think I'm becoming an older lady...
Original post by diamonddust
BiB: he wanted to be close to Afia and Tamwar if they settle in the square after they get 'married'. :dontknow: Something like that? does anyone else think he's a little bit attractive? :blush:

I wonder if there's going to be doubt over Syed's paternity? That could be interesting! Though Zainab and Masood have been married 28 years as they keep saying and Syed's only 26. It would explain why they bothered introducing him! :tongue:

Yeah, EE is really dry atm! It's getting a bit better with the Whitney storyline but nothing much is really going on. I keep it on in the background too. High viewing figures don't mean EE is good because it's ****! People just don't switch off because there's nothing else to watch....

Where does Afia live? I'm so confused :confused:

I don't know why they've brought him into it, maybe he'll reveal his true colours and become evil (because he's put so much effort into telling Zainab he's nice and it was his family etc etc)?

I know, there needs to be an interesting long term (but not too long!) story, preferable something to do with the whole gangster/criminal side that used to be the main focus (soaps always seemed more exciting when I was younger!). There aren't really any of these character left though :s-smilie: And yeah I know, that's what I meant, people just get into the habit of watching it.
Original post by DancinBallerina
I hope not, because the soap really has gone stale and really boring. I want Coronation St. to get some awards. They had an amazing year last year, and for their 50th got absolutely bugger all!

I agree and I don't even watch Corrie. I think the last year EE deserved to win the NTA's but Corrie did and this year, Corrie deserved to win but EE did. Its like they're taking turns, I wonder if Emmerdale ever won it :s-smilie:

And I think the reason it will always have relatively good viewing figures is that a lot of the viewers are people who watch it religiously. I know lots of older ladies who do this and would carry on watching it out of habit even if they didn't particularly enjoy it. I used to only watch it if something interesting was happening but I've started watching it all the time now but in the background so I always miss bits :rolleyes: but it's not that good anyway!

I think he is the new GP.

Soaps never have great vieweing figures around summer but EE could struggle possibly start losing viewers if the storylines aren't interesting. EE usually gets more viewers than Corrie but in the last few weeks Corrie has been on 10million mark whereas EE mainly gets 9million viewers.
Didn't EE go through bad patch 05/06 where it was only getting about 2 million viewers so even those watching out of habit will get fed up of seeing Heather in every episode.

Soaps never have great vieweing figures around summer but EE could struggle possibly start losing viewers if the storylines aren't interesting. EE usually gets more viewers than Corrie but in the last few weeks Corrie has been on 10million mark whereas EE mainly gets 9million viewers.
Didn't EE go through bad patch 05/06 where it was only getting about 2 million viewers so even those watching out of habit will get fed up of seeing Heather in every episode.

I don't think the current producer will last much longer. What is on screen is absolutely appalling if comparing with this time last year, the year before that, year before that and all the way back to 06 as you say. The BBC won't let its prized child get too damaged before it pulls the plug on this guy and his team. The new BBC1 controller has already got rid of quite successful dramas to make room for fresh stuff so he certainly isn't scared to do what's in the viewer interest.

Oh, btw, the acting in Corrie is an absolute JOKE. I think they get away with it because it's still seen as a sort of 'comedy'.
Original post by diamonddust

It could be interesting if Syed turned out to be Yusuf's son. With Masood & Zainab completely against him (for being gay), Yusuf could be the one to accept him.

Isn't Zainab

Spoiler

I miss crazy baby-obsessed Santer cos he clearly knew what he was doing with the characters whereas BK seems to be affair obsessed instead. Everyone is at it now.
I agree and I don't even watch Corrie. I think the last year EE deserved to win the NTA's but Corrie did and this year, Corrie deserved to win but EE did. Its like they're taking turns, I wonder if Emmerdale ever won it :s-smilie:

I think he is the new GP.

Yes but surely he has a house he can live in? I'm sure he and Afia live in London, just not Walford?

I don't know about exact figures but I think it would take something pretty serious to drag some of my family away from it lol. I suppose in the summer people have better things to do though and you can stay in the garden later etc.
(edited 13 years ago)

I don't know about exact figures but I think it would take something pretty serious to drag some of my family away from it lol. I suppose in the summer people have better things to do though. You can stay in the garden later etc.

The figures aren't exactly anything to worry about at the moment. But there's only so long people will put up with that kind of 'quality'...a lot of people are still loyal, or hopeful of a return to good times, or both.
Original post by morris743
The figures aren't exactly anything to worry about at the moment. But there's only so long people will put up with that kind of 'quality'...a lot of people are still loyal, or hopeful of a return to good times, or both.

Yes surely they will sort it out soon though? Although I suppose it will take a while, they can't just suddenly change everything/get rid of people.

I miss crazy baby-obsessed Santer cos he clearly knew what he was doing with the characters whereas BK seems to be affair obsessed instead. Everyone is at it now.

I think Santer came from a truely drama background so brought both this and his love for EE, stuck them together and created a pretty good 2 or 3 years. I don't know the statistics but in this case at least it doesn't seem to be a good fit for soap producers to come over to another soap. Hollyoaks was apparently fantastic under Kirkwood, EE would be axed as it is now if it wasn't EE.
Yes surely they will sort it out soon though? Although I suppose it will take a while, they can't just suddenly change everything/get rid of people.

It'll take a good while, maybe Christmas for results to get on screen if they take action in the near future, but I really can't see them let the quality detoriate much further.
Original post by morris743
I think Santer came from a truely drama background so brought both this and his love for EE, stuck them together and created a pretty good 2 or 3 years. I don't know the statistics but in this case at least it doesn't seem to be a good fit for soap producers to come over to another soap. Hollyoaks was apparently fantastic under Kirkwood, EE would be axed as it is now if it wasn't EE.

It was, I think I started watching it when he took over and it was great until his last few weeks.
Reply 6693
I could have sworn Yusef was introduced as a surgeon, but now he is practising as a GP? Their GP characters always fail hard... Al Jenkins anyone?
Yes but surely he has a house he can live in? I'm sure he and Afia live in London, just not Walford?

I don't know about exact figures but I think it would take something pretty serious to drag some of my family away from it lol. I suppose in the summer people have better things to do though and you can stay in the garden later etc.

Haven't you heard? You can't live in Walford and work outside it, neither can you live elsewhere and work in Walford unless you're Tracey.
It was, I think I started watching it when he took over and it was great until his last few weeks.

I've only ever watched Hollyoaks under Paul Marquess who I thought did an amazing job turning it round. I tuned in when he first took over and it was dire. Fast forward a month or two and watching again by chance, it was like a new lease of life had been put into it. Maybe it was easier for me not knowing all the old characters and having so many leaving though. I like most of the current ones now, but still take or leave the show :biggrin: That's just me however, he has done a remarkable job. And now he's off. So....

I doubt the BBC would take another risk and go for Paul for EE but I honestly think he'd hugely increase the quality, certainly now and possibly even better than Santer.

Saying all this, he was responsible for The Bill's end. But then again....The Bill was never meant to be a soap.
Original post by Elipsis
I could have sworn Yusef was introduced as a surgeon, but now he is practising as a GP? Their GP characters always fail hard... Al Jenkins anyone?

Didn't Afia just say that to impress Zainab? Al failed but he was gorgeous :colondollar:
Haven't you heard? You can't live in Walford and work outside it, neither can you live elsewhere and work in Walford unless you're Tracey.

LOL I know but it's so annoyingly unrealistic! I suppose they couldn't really have him buy a house in the square, that would be a little stalkerish (not like getting a job there isn't already).
Al failed but he was gorgeous :colondollar:

It could be interesting if Syed turned out to be Yusuf's son. With Masood & Zainab completely against him (for being gay), Yusuf could be the one to accept him.

Isn't Zainab

Spoiler

Spoiler

Yeah! Yusef seems fairly cool so far! Can't believe he likes Led Zepplin! I would be SO happy if he accepted Syed! Though knowing bloody BK (I always think Burger King instead of Bryan Kirkwood...) he'll do some ***** up storyline where Christian and Yusef sleep together or something! :rolleyes: I'm still wondering WTF that NYE 'kiss' was about!

The worst affair for me has to be Glenda/Phil or Glenda/Ian! The way BK's going, I'll be suprised if Ian and Phil don't get it on too!

I was so excited when Kirkwood took over because he seemed like he knew all the characters and cared about EE. Turns out he only cares about Kat and Alfie and his fail new characters like Jodie and her mum (whose name I STILL don't know, she's just Tanya Lite to me) and that Julie person and Phil and Glenda. The Beale family have gone to **** now, it took him 8 months(?) to start using the Masoods and Christian and Syed again and still, so many people are being underused like Denise and Pat and Mercy and her gran. I'm surprised loads of the cast haven't left tbh! And where's the new Lucy? I'm still annoyed they fired the old one, couldn't they have given her a formal warning first? Santer was **** at the day-to-day stuff but good at the looooooooooooong storylines, BK is **** at both, it seems! He is good at the community spirt thing though, like it was genius to put Dot and Fats together! I love Fatboy! :love: but I'm just not feeling his work. Loads of people on forums are really discontent and I've heard the BBC/producers read the forums so if I were BK, I'd be worried and trying to pull one hell of a punch with the baby swap reveal because if that fails, he's a goner I think.

I REALLY miss DTC- Dominic Treadwell Collins, he was like the main storyline person and since he left BK brought in his army of new writers and they're not doing a great job. I have to admit though, they're writing for Dot really well and I do think some of the episodes have been good, if not particularly memorable. I think BK needs to prove himself and do a fantastic long-running storyline that he actually sticks to *cough* Not the baby storyline *cough*

I'll shut up. I didn't mean to rant about BK! :tongue: I only wanted to talk about Yusef (:love:)- he seems a bit overly smooth though, that one! A bit sinister, like! Which sort of makes him hot... :blush: I don't know what's wrong with me! I'm going to bed haha!

Latest