Leader's hold on power confined mainly to Tripoli
Rebels shutting down oil exports as revolution spreads
Flights, navy and SAS rescuing Britons
Nato 'will not intervene'
Yemen: Protests in all major cities

Source:Guardian
Reply 201
Libya rebels isolate Gaddafi, seizing cities and oilfields
Dictator hemmed in by popular protests and unable to extend his rule beyond Tripoli as local committees take charge

Opposition activists are increasing the pressure on Muammar Gaddafi's ailing regime, shutting down oil exports and mobilising rebel groups in the west of the country as the revolution rapidly spreads.

Gaddafi's hold on power appears confined to parts of Tripoli and perhaps several regions in the centre of the country. Towns to the west of the capital have fallen and all of eastern Libya is firmly in opposition hands.

In Benghazi, the country's second city, basic order is returning to the streets after days of fierce fighting that resulted in the military defecting en masse. Virtually all government buildings were looted and wrecked.

There are long lines outside closed banks as people try to resume normal life. Cars have returned to city streets but almost all shops remain closed and the internet is blocked.

Watch dramatic Libya video with commentary by Martin Chulov
Follow live reaction to Gadaffi's latest statement
David Cameron apologises for delay in evacuating Britons

Benghazi is now being run by a makeshift organising committee of judges, lawyers and other professionals who have sent out young people to direct traffic and restore basic order.

One high court lawyer, Amal Bagaigis, said: "We started just as lawyers looking for our rights and now we are revolutionaries, and we don't know how to manage. We want to have our own face. For 42 years we lived with this kind of barbarianism. We now want to live by ourselves."

The town of Misrata, about halfway between Benghazi and Tripoli, is reported to have fallen after days of violence. A resident, Abdul Basit Imzivig, told the Guardian that regime forces had fled overnight and the city was in opposition hands.

All southern oilfields are in rebel control. Moustafa Raba'a, a mechanical engineer with the Sirte oil company, said pressure had been put on field and refinery managers to stop work and protect all foreign nationals working with them.

"The order was put out to send a message to Gaddafi to stop the slaying of our people in Benghazi. We made a decision to deny him the privilege of exporting oil and gas to Europe."

He said the blockade had prevented 80,000 barrels a day being exported from the Dregga field alone.

Opposition to Gaddafi appears to have reached a critical mass, with his influence confined to parts of the capital and steadily shrinking. Tripoli remains in lockdown and there are reports of snipers.

Irish-trained surgeon Heitham Gheriani, who was one of the revolution's organisers in Benghazi, said: "Now the people realise the power they have. They started this protest peacefully and then the youths joined them. And when Gaddafi started killing them they rose up. But we honestly didn't think it would happen so quickly."

A Turkish ferry has docked in Benghazi to evacuate a small number of Turkish nationals, and a British warship remains off the coast waiting for permission to approach Libyan shores. A second ship, the HMS York, has been stationed in Malta to help with the rescue effort.

Tens of thousands of Egyptians are continuing to pour towards their home border along with a convoy of other foreign workers.

Elsewhere in Libya forces loyal to Gaddafi are reported to have launched a counter-attack on anti-government militias controlling Misrata, 125 miles (200km) east of Tripoli. Several people were killed in fighting near the city's airport.

Lawyers and judges have said they control the city in an internet statement. With help from "honest" military officers they had removed agents of the "oppressive regime" in Misrata, the statement said.

Another western town, Zuara, is reported to have fallen to opposition forces as the tide of rebellion advanced closer to Tripoli.

Violence reached the town of Az-Zawiyah, 30 miles west of Tripoli. Al-Arabiya television said Gaddafi would address residents of the town.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/feb/24/libya-rebels-control-gaddafi-oilfields
Reply 202
Original post by ijaz
with britain and the us being the mostpowerful countries which practically control it.

oh by the way protests have also been taking place in jordan to overthrow the royal family of whom queen rania a un endorsed ambassador for corruption is a member of.

You're clearly misguided and won't listen to rational thought as you've totally ignored the evidence I've presented to contest your points. No point continuing this discussion.
Reply 203
France's top human rights official told Reuters that up to 2,000 people could have died by now in Libya. Francois Zimeray also said there was clear evidence to suggest the Libyan leader had committed crimes against humanity.

The question is not if Gaddafi will fall, but when and at what human cost ... For now the figures we have ... more than 1,000 have died, possibly 2,000, according to sources.
Reply 204
All starting to kick off now, Libya Air force have been have been defecting to Malta, and Libya soldiers have been executed for not follow orders . The SAS/SBS and Paratroopers are going in to Libya to get British Nationals who are stranded.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 205
Original post by Guvnor
Looks like it's going crazy out there

Gaddafi blames Libyan protests on Bin Laden
Leader's hold on power confined mainly to Tripoli
Rebels shutting down oil exports as revolution spreads
Flights, navy and SAS rescuing Britons
Nato 'will not intervene'
Yemen: Protests in all major cities

Source:Guardian

BBC are saying the SAS haven't been deployed but are on standby along with the parachute regiment to go in and get anyone left
Reply 206
Original post by Svalir
You're clearly misguided and won't listen to rational thought as you've totally ignored the evidence I've presented to contest your points. No point continuing this discussion.

fair does everyone can beleive want they want.
Reply 207
Original post by Aj12
BBC are saying the SAS haven't been deployed but are on standby along with the parachute regiment to go in and get anyone left

the bbc lol
Reply 208
Original post by ijaz
the bbc lol

Just some advice for you.
Reply 209
Original post by Aj12

I read it off the Guardian, but who knows :holmes:
Reply 210
Original post by Aj12

Just some advice for you.

gaddhafi_tony_blair_masonic_handshake.jpg

ObamaGaddafiHug.jpg

here is the dictator meeting with the western hypocrits known as the us and uk government.

the west werent interested in democracy for libyan people for 40 years and know oh the human right of the libyans
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 211
Original post by ijaz
gaddhafi_tony_blair_masonic_handshake.jpg

ObamaGaddafiHug.jpg

here is the dictator meeting with the western hypocrits known as the us and uk government.

Look back at my last post. You still need the advice. Every reply from you has nothing to do with my posts.
Reply 212
Original post by Aj12
In the eastern city of Benghazi, residents have been queuing to be issued with guns looted from the army and police in order to join what they are calling the battle for Tripo

I think we are heading for civil war. As soon as Gadafi is gone the UN shouldsend in peace keepers and help keep the country stable

Peace keepers happen to evoke the opposite :colonhash:
Reply 213
Original post by Aj12
Look back at my last post. You still need the advice. Every reply from you has nothing to do with my posts.

try and explain the pictures of the saint " BARACK OBAMA" and the uk whoi have supported this guy meeting and hugging him.

im sure when the pictures were taken the libyan people had rights.

ure saying im misinformed, when you get information from the bbc and guardian who are very fair and non bias source righ,t lol.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 214
Original post by amsie/
Peace keepers happen to evoke the opposite :colonhash:

Something has to be done. We cannot just sit back and watch a civil war.
Reply 215
Original post by Aj12

yeh the un have been sitting back for 40 years and now think enough is enough, dont make me laugh.

oil prices are going up as well by the way.
Reply 216
Original post by Aj12

What would actually help?
Getting involved will only make it worse :redface:
Original post by Aj12

I don't think there will be a civil war, but I do think, if he has chemical weapons near the end: He'll use them.
Reply 218
I like the Hilal wal najm Islamic Flag of Libya instead of that green rag.
Reply 219
Original post by Sushidelight
I don't think there will be a civil war, but I do think, if he has chemical weapons near the end: He'll use them.

Apparently he does have some stocks of chemical weapons that were meant to be destroyed but never were. Part of an agreement he made with Blair.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending