The Student Room Group

Japanese Language/studies Applicants For 2011

Scroll to see replies

Well I'm off to SOAS for an interview this coming Monday, I finally get to see the university and hopefully I'll get to see some of the work for Japanese. The truth is, I am rubbish at everything else apart from the language (history, politics, etc) so if the time comes on Monday, I will tell them that I don't know much about the cultural side of things and see what they say!!
Reply 461
Original post by moonlight_caster
Well I'm off to SOAS for an interview this coming Monday, I finally get to see the university and hopefully I'll get to see some of the work for Japanese. The truth is, I am rubbish at everything else apart from the language (history, politics, etc) so if the time comes on Monday, I will tell them that I don't know much about the cultural side of things and see what they say!!

Isn't the idea that you want to learn about those things (next to the language)? They can't expect you to be an expert on Japan. Anyway, good luck. :>
Reply 462

I still have all of my tests/work books from there so I can describe them to you if you would like :smile: They don't change much from year to year.
Reply 463
Having gotten an offer from Manchester University, I'm wondering how good the course is? I know someone who is in their final year at Sheffield studying Japanese and he has said it was really dismal but they do learn to a really high standard. I heard great things about Sheffield from many people so I kind of had my heart set on going there. Now I've been rejected from Sheffield and Leeds which was my second favourite choice and I only have Edinburgh and SOAS to wait for. I think Edinburgh sounds really nice and I know some Japanese people who live in Edinburgh. However, I just don't know about the courses and what they are like. I've obviously looked at the universities websites and the course content but I wonder about people's experiences/personal opinions. Is Manchester still an alright place to study Japanese?
I got an interview at SOAS :smile:))

I'm rejecting them though. My heart lies up North...
Just had my interview at SOAS. Have no idea how it went. Now for the wait!

Oh my goodness don't know what to choose.. Leeds or SOAS? To me it's a choice between; university experience/security at Leeds and prestige/total independence at SOAS. How does everyone else feel about their choices? :biggrin:
My firm is now Sheffield - 'nuff said.
My firm is now Sheffield - 'nuff said.

How was your SOAS interview?
Reply 468
Original post by mmm-dorayaki
Just had my interview at SOAS. Have no idea how it went. Now for the wait!

Oh my goodness don't know what to choose.. Leeds or SOAS? To me it's a choice between; university experience/security at Leeds and prestige/total independence at SOAS. How does everyone else feel about their choices? :biggrin:

how was it?
Original post by GuineaPrig
How was your SOAS interview?

The interview went ok, but I'm not too keen on the uni; I have to say I found it rather grotty and non-inspirational, not somewhere I could see myself for the next 4 years... I found my current college's atmosphere was far better than SOAS, and the staff seemed snooty overall. I hate to be so frank!

However, the library is impressive along with their large collection of Japanese resources!
(edited 13 years ago)
Hi! I should have introduced myself sooner ^_^
I am on a gap year so I already have my A Level grades (which is why my offers are unconditional), I applied for:
Leeds- Japanese and Linguistics (unconditional)
Leeds- Japanese and English (unconditional)
Sheffield- Japanese Studies and Linguistics (unconditional)
Newcastle- Japanese and Linguistics (withdrew from this when I got my other offers as this was back up)
SOAS- Japanese and Linguistics (pending).

Heading to the Leeds post-applicant day tomorrow! :smile:
Have my heart a little set on SOAS and I'm a bit worried about all this talk of interviews! :redface:
If I get rejected from SOAS, I'm going to go to Leeds for Japanese and Linguistics ^^
But...still waiting on SOAS as most others seem to be...!
Nice to meet you all :smile:
*subscribes to thread*
Not 2011, but I'm looking at Japanese and Spanish (and/orLinguistics) for 2012, so maybe this thread will be a bit of help!
Reply 472
Original post by Rimbitshim
But...still waiting on SOAS as most others seem to be...!
Nice to meet you all :smile:

Hi! Nice to meet you too! :biggrin: I'm also waiting on SOAS and Edinburgh. I wonder how long it will be. Somehow I wish they would just reject me and get it done with already! xD The thought of interviews scares me so much...
Original post by terujoan
Hi! Nice to meet you too! :biggrin: I'm also waiting on SOAS and Edinburgh. I wonder how long it will be. Somehow I wish they would just reject me and get it done with already! xD The thought of interviews scares me so much...

Ooh what's your first choice if you did get offers from those two? :smile:
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean, just put us out of our misery!
I have no idea what I'll do if I get asked to an interview. I'm keen on SOAS but the idea of an interview is quite terrifying. And it costs a bomb to get myself down to London...
Reply 474
I have no idea what I'll do if I get asked to an interview. I'm keen on SOAS but the idea of an interview is quite terrifying. And it costs a bomb to get myself down to London...

Well I've got a good offer from Manchester but I'm not sure about whether it's a good course compared to Edinburgh and SOAS. It would be more convenient as I already go to school in Manchester. :/ The course at Manchester is so new that I don't know how good it is really...:s-smilie: Edinburgh and SOAS especially have more prestige. I suppose Edinburgh kind of attracts me because I have heard how beautiful it is from so many people. I don't really like London (too busy for a country bumpkin and northerner like me) and I've heard that SOAS is a different from normal universities so it would be good to have a look and see what it was like. I missed all of the open days because I was either in Japan or America...^^; Well it would only take me two hours to get down to London by train but yeah, expense is a consideration. I could maybe get a coach and see if I could bunk down with some relatives! xD
What about you?
Original post by Scaudwell
Hi, I can't really be bothered to trawl through all these posts, but I was wondering if anyone else here is going to read Russian and Japanese at Manchester? It would be cool to find out, seeing as it's a pretty niche course.
I'm already studying Russian, so Japanese is the one I'm looking forward to learning most.
I also have an offer to do Russian, Swedish and Finnish at UCL, but I'm not sure if I'm too keen on that...

I have offers for Russian and Japanese from Leeds and Sheffield
was gonna apply to Manchester too but I already live there yano..
Reply 476
-

Nice to meet you :biggrin:

Are you travelling, or just working during your gap year? (or a combo of the two :P)
Reply 477

Just wanted to say, I couldn't get down for my interview at SOAS, so they called me up to request a phone interview. I literally just had it an hour or so ago. :rolleyes:
Original post by terujoan
Well I've got a good offer from Manchester but I'm not sure about whether it's a good course compared to Edinburgh and SOAS. It would be more convenient as I already go to school in Manchester. :/ The course at Manchester is so new that I don't know how good it is really...:s-smilie: Edinburgh and SOAS especially have more prestige. I suppose Edinburgh kind of attracts me because I have heard how beautiful it is from so many people. I don't really like London (too busy for a country bumpkin and northerner like me) and I've heard that SOAS is a different from normal universities so it would be good to have a look and see what it was like. I missed all of the open days because I was either in Japan or America...^^; Well it would only take me two hours to get down to London by train but yeah, expense is a consideration. I could maybe get a coach and see if I could bunk down with some relatives! xD
What about you?

This is my issue as well. I think I'm going to end up at manchester even if I do get an offer from SOAS/Edinburgh. I went to the SOAS open day and now wouldn't go there if you paid me. It was AWFUL. So disorganised TAT. Not sure about Edinburgh, I can't find much about the course and it's really cold...(yes, I have included weather on my uni selection criteria). For international recognition I think that Manchester is actually the best out of the three. Nobody ever seems to have heard of SOAS but if you say 'University of London' they will assume it's good. Sadly a UOL degree lumps you in with a load of rubbish unis as well so if you're in england that isn't so great. The better UOL unis (UCL, KCL) now give out their own degrees. It might seem a bit silly but a huge number of asian's seem to support manchester united...so they tend to have heard of the city because of that XD
Reply 479
Original post by xxpiripirixx
This is my issue as well. I think I'm going to end up at manchester even if I do get an offer from SOAS/Edinburgh. I went to the SOAS open day and now wouldn't go there if you paid me. It was AWFUL. So disorganised TAT. Not sure about Edinburgh, I can't find much about the course and it's really cold...(yes, I have included weather on my uni selection criteria). For international recognition I think that Manchester is actually the best out of the three. Nobody ever seems to have heard of SOAS but if you say 'University of London' they will assume it's good. Sadly a UOL degree lumps you in with a load of rubbish unis as well so if you're in england that isn't so great. The better UOL unis (UCL, KCL) now give out their own degrees. It might seem a bit silly but a huge number of asian's seem to support manchester united...so they tend to have heard of the city because of that XD

I didn't get to go to any open days because I was out of the country but I heard SOAS was a bit disorganized. :/
Edinburgh sounds like a nice city though. I'm not that bothered about cold weather. Manchester is very, very windy and rainy which annoys me more. Too many broken umbrellas...
Ahh! I completely agree! When I went to Japan last summer and had some "work experience" in a shop, all of the men freaked out on me when I said I went to school in Manchester. Then they thought I was crazy because I didn't follow football and I had never been to a match! xD Also, one guy kept going on about the Beatles...:rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending