The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

2002: BREAKING NEWS - ARSENAL CAPTAIN CESC FABREGAS HAS BEEN RULED OUT OF SUNDAY'S CARLING CUP FINAL AGAINST BIRMINGHAM BECAUSE OF A HAMSTRING INJURY

Tbh it's not really a problem unless Van Persie is also out, in which case I think we could struggle and I worry about the impact on the team if we are to lose in the final. Hope he's fit for the Sunderland game though and definitely for the Barca game.
Would rather him be rested on Sunday and fit for the Barca game!!
Oh reading on the Arsenal website it appears that Van Persie and Koscielny will be ready for the final which is great news. Also Wenger says both Cesc and Walcott's injuries are short term, Walcott should be back in a week or two, so overall good news.
Reply 4663
For Birmingham game:

Fabregas+Walcott = Out
V.Persie+Diaby+Koscielny = In
Reply 4664
Possible Line-up:

Szczesny
Eboue
Koscielny
Djourou
Gibbs
Song
Wilshere
Diaby
Nasri
Arshravin
V.Persie OR Chamakh
Original post by mini_lidi
Would rather him be rested on Sunday and fit for the Barca game!!

He's not being rested, he's injured.
Original post by jit987
Possible Line-up:

Szczesny
Eboue
Koscielny
Djourou
Gibbs
Song
Wilshere
Diaby
Nasri
Arshravin
V.Persie OR Chamakh

Will probably be Chamakh.

Load of rubbish, why exactly do we have to respect or appreciate Stoke's style of play? It bores me, I dont enjoy it and i'm entitled to show that. The hatred for Stoke is more deep routed than just their style though and more just that Shawcross challenge, it stems back from when Delap cynically crooked Walcott and when Shawcross crooked Adebayor and even Carew who crooked Hleb when at Villa.
Original post by jit987
Possible Line-up:

Szczesny
Eboue
Koscielny
Djourou
Gibbs
Song
Wilshere
Diaby
Nasri
Arshravin
V.Persie OR Chamakh

Don't want to see Diaby and Song together. Think we're more likely to see Nasri in the midfield 3 and Bendtner on the left/right. Also might see Rosicky in the midfield and Nasri on the wing. RVP will definitely lead us though.
The only person I'm worried about in the Brum team is Zigic
Reply 4669
Original post by Psychotic546
Don't want to see Diaby and Song together. Think we're more likely to see Nasri in the midfield 3 and Bendtner on the left/right. Also might see Rosicky in the midfield and Nasri on the wing. RVP will definitely lead us though.

I'm not too sure about V.Persie 100% starter but yeh, diaby+song together would mean more compact midfield but if diaby get's forward and wilshere supporting him then it could get open for a while. I find Bendtner slow either on left or right and we probably need a speedy player to cover up for walcott, so most likely Arsh+Nasri on either sides.
Reply 4670
Diaby and Song together would see us lack the creativity we need to unlock Birmingham. Plus Diaby is usually slow to return to any kind of form after injury.
Reply 4671
Original post by jit987
I'm not too sure about V.Persie 100% starter but yeh, diaby+song together would mean more compact midfield but if diaby get's forward and wilshere supporting him then it could get open for a while. I find Bendtner slow either on left or right and we probably need a speedy player to cover up for walcott, so most likely Arsh+Nasri on either sides.

eboue wouldn't be such a bad replacement, but as i se it, fabregas and the are huge blows for our chances of progressing in the CL. we really needed theo for those counter-attacks... :frown:
Possiby:

--------------------Szczesny---------------------

Eboue-----Koscielny-----Djourou-------Gibbs

----------------Diaby--------Song---------------

Arshavin----------Wilshere--------------Nasri

---------------------Van Persie------------------

I would like to see Wilshere in a more advanced role. But knowing Wenger he will stick with Wilshere and Song in CM, move Arshavin into AMC and put Bendtner on the wing :colonhash:.
Original post by n1r4v
OT, but I noticed in your sig that you're reading The Black Swan; it was referenced last year in a lecture I had (but from a psychology perspective, rather an economics one). Do you reckon it's worth reading for someone who is clueless about anything economics related (as I probably won't understand the "wider implications" of the book)?

It doesn't really have much to say about economics except to slate academics for being insular and forecasters for the assumptions they are required to make to get any useful results. Overall it's an interesting read but is quite tough to get through due to the arrogant tone and continuous repetition to force his point of view home. It tries to be philosophical though I found most of the ideas quite obvious. It certainly won't help you in anything academic - it's aimed more at the mass market.

Back on topic: we should play our best available team on Sunday, it may 'only' be the Carling Cup, but it is a final and we need to win.
Original post by alex_hk90
Back on topic: we should play our best available team on Sunday, it may 'only' be the Carling Cup, but it is a final and we need to win.

true dat...but it looks like he is gonna start with bendtner again...i seriously have no clue how he's still at arsenal :confused:
Original post by Billa Bong
true dat...but it looks like he is gonna start with bendtner again...i seriously have no clue how he's still at arsenal :confused:

He shows flashes of brilliance, and he did quite well at important times last season. I think he's worth keeping around, personally, although he can be frustrating.
Original post by milkytea
He shows flashes of brilliance, and he did quite well at important times last season. I think he's worth keeping around, personally, although he can be frustrating.

yeah i see what you mean but i just don't see him as a top team player...maybe a mid-table team but certainly not in the top 4...i mean as a reserve ok but kind of a reserve that you wish you never have to play :rolleyes:
Original post by milkytea

He's another -clown-to-keep-around- type player along with Eboue (for his antics), Arshavin (for his ridiculous comments), sczesny (for the twitter WUMings).
Reply 4678
Original post by alex_hk90
x

Okay, cheers.
The BBC managed to write a whole article on the fact that our fans were booing Stoke - I'm amazed.

It takes them a full 5 or 6 paragraphs to even mention the fact that Wenger didn't complain, urgh.

Latest