The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Philosopher-of-sorts
Predicted 4A*s and worried about module results--with an offer of AAA? Seems a bit underconfident of you.

Just don't see the harm in waiting and making a more educated decision
It's better than overconfident!!
Reply 861
Original post by juli.miranda
Heyy im applying to Reach Oxford as well (I'm from Argentina)... still haven't written my essay thing, and literally have no ideas about what to write. In case you didnt notice, Im freaking outttttt

Which college have you an offer at?
Original post by Omio
Which college have you an offer at?

Worcester, to reaqd Engineering, economics and Management. Do you happen to know how many scholarships there are available?
Btw, I still haven't sent anything. Im screwed
Had an Oxford dream last night. SO hope I meet the offer. :/
Reply 864
Worcester, to reaqd Engineering, economics and Management. Do you happen to know how many scholarships there are available?
Btw, I still haven't sent anything. Im screwed

The number of scholarships is usually 2 or 3. But the applicants pool might well exceed 30 and the competition is very tight. Since this scholarship is partly funded by the college, it might be difficult to transfer to a participating college if yours isn't offering the scholarship. It is common for successful scholars to be offered the scholarship at the college they originally applied to.

Have you sent your application and supporting materials?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Omio
The number of scholarships is usually 2 or 3. But the applicants pool might well exceed 30 and the competition is very tight. Since this scholarship is partly funded by the college, if might be difficult to transfer to a participating college if yours isn't offering the scholarship. It is common for successful scholars to be offered the scholarship at the college they originally applied to.

Have you sent your application and supporting materials?

Just sent everything today... But I have to start looking for external sources of funding coz my supportive statement was horrible haha.
what about you? haha good luck!
Maximum respect to anyone that lands a scholarship lol
O.o which scholarships are we talking about, university ones or college ones?
Reply 868
Just sent everything today... But I have to start looking for external sources of funding coz my supportive statement was horrible haha.
what about you? haha good luck!

Yeah, you better start looking for external funding, maybe from Argentine government or other South American funding bodies, as there may be more likely scholars than available places.

Curiously, a large proportion of past Reach Oxford scholars were Engineering students. I wonder if there is some sort of bias for a particular subject (although the scholarship profile page explicitly states its availability for all subjects except Medicine). The supporting statements might be an important part of the application, as financial need and social commitment are the major criteria after academic ability.

Thanks and good luck to you too!

Original post by for no reason
O.o which scholarships are we talking about, university ones or college ones?

Reach Oxford is actually funded jointly by the university, and the respective college and JCR.
(edited 13 years ago)
Just checked the list again, don't think my background's exciting enough to qualify me for any of the scholarships -_-
Reply 870
Original post by for no reason
Just checked the list again, don't think my background's exciting enough to qualify me for any of the scholarships -_-

ha same here! I have spent a looong time looking for one that I qualify for.. but it doesn't look likely! :frown:
Reply 871
Hey just joined!
Earth sci. teddy hall offer! AAA
anyone else here for earth sci?
Original post by Edache
Hey just joined!
Earth sci. teddy hall offer! AAA
anyone else here for earth sci?

Search 'St. Edmund Hall 2011 Students' on Facebook, there's a fair few of us now :smile:
Reply 873
Hi I'm new too!
(undergrad) Medicine Christ Church offer AAA :smile::smile:
Scared about getting exam results on 10th March but cant wait to go to uni!!
Anyone here for medicine??
Hi
I'm just wondering if anyone knows by what date we're expected to arrive at Oxford? (I'm not being over-confident, I've already got my A levels haha.) I'm planning on doing a bit of travelling and I'm trying to work out when I should come back.
Reply 875
Original post by Lookatmycoolname
Hi
I'm just wondering if anyone knows by what date we're expected to arrive at Oxford? (I'm not being over-confident, I've already got my A levels haha.) I'm planning on doing a bit of travelling and I'm trying to work out when I should come back.

I'm pretty sure it's the start of October :smile: definitely wouldn't be before third week of September!
where are you planning on travelling to? Crazy gap year on the agenda?! :wink:
Hi

In an email from Christ Church, they said that the college expects 'incoming Freshers to arrive on Sunday, 2 October'. :biggrin:
Hi

Sunday of 1st Week for Michaelmas Term 2011 is 9 October. It varies by College as to when freshers are supposed to come up for the first term, it would usually be during 0th Week which starts on 2 October. I don't think you would usually be expected to go up before that - but double check with your College if you're thinking of being away close to that date! (I do have a dim recollection that occasionally classes start before 0th Week - think I have heard of this happening for classics ab initio? - but I'm not sure.)

I'd advise giving yourself a bit of a breather before you go up anyway - you don't want to be packing at the last minute and going up in a stress, given that you'll have a very full 8-9 weeks ahead of you :smile:

Congratulations on your unconditional!
Has anyone been sent anything since recieving their offer?

Just curious to whether I should be expecting something soon or not until summer time.
Original post by soutioirsim
Has anyone been sent anything since recieving their offer?

Just curious to whether I should be expecting something soon or not until summer time.

Not I. I expect we'll have to wait until results day, but some colleges might send something

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending