The Student Room Group

BUNAC Work Canada

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Guys, how late do you think it is to apply a) through the IEC and b) through BUNAC? I thought it would be fine but I saw a thread somewhere else where people were saying that places were running out so I'm panicking a bit. At the moment I'm waiting to receive my police certificate, so I should be able to send the form in a week (directly with IEC is my plan). Advice? Reassure me? :p:
Reply 221
Hi Mark,

Only limited visas currently remain for Canada, regardless of who you apply through.
While you obviously have the freedom to apply either through BUNAC or directly to the Canadian High Commission this year, one of the many advantages of going through BUNAC is that your visa will be reserved for you the moment you book your place, giving you plenty of time to sort out paperwork such as visa applications and police checks with our assistance. Please feel free to get in touch if you have any questions about the Work Canada programme on 020-7251-0662.
www.workcanada.org
Reply 222
Original post by markdr
Guys, how late do you think it is to apply a) through the IEC and b) through BUNAC? I thought it would be fine but I saw a thread somewhere else where people were saying that places were running out so I'm panicking a bit. At the moment I'm waiting to receive my police certificate, so I should be able to send the form in a week (directly with IEC is my plan). Advice? Reassure me? :p:

It's really difficult to say - there's 5,000 visas available (total, between IEC and BUNAC, the ratio is not known) but because the Canadian WHVs have never been done this way before, it's pretty impossible to say when they'll run out. Last year the non-student WHVs arranged by BUNAC ran out in August/September time, but I have no idea how many that was.
Since the process has only been open for just over a month now, I'd like to think they won't run out very soon, but the truth is that no-one knows (except the IEC/BUNAC) how many people have actually applied!

Personally though, I wanted to save to £250 and apply direct........and it was worth the bit of panic! Hope your police certificate comes back soon - if it doesn't arrive within the 10 days, send them an email or give them a call to make sure it gets back to you ASAP.
Reply 223
Original post by markdr

I know when I did it 2 years ago the student visas were normally fine but the non-student visas ran out very very quickly. Now there is no distinction between the 2 I would imagine there'll be gone pretty quickly as there seems to be a lot of interest in them. I found bunac a good help when I went out so if you are worried about getting a place i'd recommend you get your application in fairly soon. I'm loving the fact that anyone can get 2 visas now though! Hope that's some help :smile:
Reply 224
hey guys,

i am having real trouble with the proof of funds form. i get it that banks wont sign the form within the application, but my bank (Natwest) won't print out any letter saying that I have a certain amount of money in my account either. i really don't understand what the problem is. apparently all they can do is send you statements. i don't know if they are willing to sign and stamp this (i have yet to ask), but does anybody know if the canadian high commission will accept statements as proof of funds?

thanks!
Reply 225
Original post by kchan
hey guys,

i am having real trouble with the proof of funds form. i get it that banks wont sign the form within the application, but my bank (Natwest) won't print out any letter saying that I have a certain amount of money in my account either. i really don't understand what the problem is. apparently all they can do is send you statements. i don't know if they are willing to sign and stamp this (i have yet to ask), but does anybody know if the canadian high commission will accept statements as proof of funds?

thanks!

It seems it really depends on the individual you speak to. I went to RBS (same group as Natwest) expecting to have difficulties, but the guy was happy to sign and stamp the actual form after checking my accounts with them. I was very impressed with the level of customer service infact. Did you ask to speak to a manager? Argue your case why they can sign it, and if it still fails go to another branch. There's really no reason why they shouldn't be willing to sign a statement they printed themselves.

The Canadian High Commission will accept a signed, stamped statement, but I think you need to write a litter explaining that your bank are ****ers and refused to sign the official form.
Original post by fiona344
It seems it really depends on the individual you speak to. I went to RBS (same group as Natwest) expecting to have difficulties, but the guy was happy to sign and stamp the actual form after checking my accounts with them. I was very impressed with the level of customer service infact. Did you ask to speak to a manager? Argue your case why they can sign it, and if it still fails go to another branch. There's really no reason why they shouldn't be willing to sign a statement they printed themselves.

The Canadian High Commission will accept a signed, stamped statement, but I think you need to write a litter explaining that your bank are ****ers and refused to sign the official form.

No they wont, they specifically say this isn't acceptable and people have been rejected for it
Reply 227
Original post by ChrisBan
No they wont, they specifically say this isn't acceptable and people have been rejected for it

Really? It says in the application pack (or maybe BUNAC) either the proof of funds form, or a bank equivalent providing all the info on the official form, which a bank statement would show.

kchan

Just really argue your case for them to sign the official form, if you have the money there's really no legitimate reason for them to object.
Original post by fiona344
Really? It says in the application pack (or maybe BUNAC) either the proof of funds form, or a bank equivalent providing all the info on the official form, which a bank statement would show.

Just really argue your case for them to sign the official form, if you have the money there's really no legitimate reason for them to object.

Nope, by bank equivalent they mean the bank drawing up their own version of what is stated on the proof of funds doc.

My banking institution has informed me they will not fill out the Proof of Funds form and are refusing to sign and certify the document. What can I submit as a substitute with my IEC application?

If your banking institution will not fill out the Proof of Funds form in your IEC application package, you may submit the following as proof of funds:

* A letter on official letterhead from your banking institution that incorporates the information from the Proof of Funds form, signed, dated, and stamped.

Please note you must submit the original letter provided to you by your banking institution with your IEC application, not a photocopy.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/united_kingdom-royaume_uni/experience_canada_experience/faq.aspx#ProofFunds
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 229

I got them to print of a bank statement there, stamp it, date it and sign it. That is what is contained on the Proof of Funds form. If they reject that, then I think many people will be in the same position...
Reply 230
Lady in HSBC signed mine without any questions...first time I've been happy to be an HSBC customer I think.
Reply 231
Original post by markdr
Lady in HSBC signed mine without any questions...first time I've been happy to be an HSBC customer I think.

Wow that's pretty interesting cos my local HSBC refused point blank to do it - either the IEC form or signed statement. Was so frustrated I closed my account with them! :confused:
Reply 232
Original post by BillyM
I got them to print of a bank statement there, stamp it, date it and sign it. That is what is contained on the Proof of Funds form. If they reject that, then I think many people will be in the same position...

To add to that ^, today I received my conditional acceptance - that is, I've been accepted on the condition that I pay my £90 fee. So this is acceptable...

I should also add that I got them to send me a statement in the post too, so I sent two statements away, one without a stamp, one with.
Reply 233
They've cashed my check for the Police check so hopefully I can send off my application soon! Just need to go in and plead with my bank to sign the form.

Just need to stop spending money so I can save for flight tickets and the like.
Original post by BillyM
To add to that ^, today I received my conditional acceptance - that is, I've been accepted on the condition that I pay my £90 fee. So this is acceptable...

I should also add that I got them to send me a statement in the post too, so I sent two statements away, one without a stamp, one with.

Strange, I've read people rejected for providing exactly the same. Ohwell, congratulations
Reply 235
Cheers :smile:

Now to pay this fee. How have you guys paid? Did you just go to your bank with the details and asking them to pay it? And what's the proof of payment - i was anticipating paying it over the internet. :\ Maybe I'm missing something!
Original post by BillyM
Cheers :smile:

Now to pay this fee. How have you guys paid? Did you just go to your bank with the details and asking them to pay it? And what's the proof of payment - i was anticipating paying it over the internet. :\ Maybe I'm missing something!

I just went into the bank with the email and said I want to send this amount in £ and need to be sure that I will pay all fees. I got a print out there and then, scanned it in and eventually got an email saying my application had been forwarded to London for the final stage. Your bank will probably say you can only pay the UK fees, which is correct due to some EU legislation. Provided you select the option that you pay as much of the fee (in addition to your embassy participation fee) as permitted that is all you can do. The receiving bank don't charge.
Reply 237
Original post by ChrisBan
I just went into the bank with the email and said I want to send this amount in £ and need to be sure that I will pay all fees. I got a print out there and then, scanned it in and eventually got an email saying my application had been forwarded to London for the final stage. Your bank will probably say you can only pay the UK fees, which is correct due to some EU legislation. Provided you select the option that you pay as much of the fee (in addition to your embassy participation fee) as permitted that is all you can do. The receiving bank don't charge.

Cool, thanks. Did you just write on your proof of payment your name, certificate ID and all that?
Reply 238
Original post by BillyM
Cool, thanks. Did you just write on your proof of payment your name, certificate ID and all that?

I did mine at Nationwide and the lady who did it for me was able to put all the info except date of birth on the transfer receipt itself. So then I just wrote my date of birth under my name and scanned it in & uploaded it :smile: Cost £25 though!
Reply 239
Original post by gemini89
I did mine at Nationwide and the lady who did it for me was able to put all the info except date of birth on the transfer receipt itself. So then I just wrote my date of birth under my name and scanned it in & uploaded it :smile: Cost £25 though!

Cheers. I went to NatWest to get it done today and I was asking the lady what would be on the form and she wasn't clear. Then I told her what I needed, showed her the letter, and she still wasn't clear. Then I told her to send the money, but make sure it's in GBP and she wasn't clear and said it was showing up as Euros. So needless to say that, after all this effort, I am not letting a bank **** it up for me. HSBC tomorrow!

Quick Reply

Latest