The Student Room Group
University of York
York

York Loovers:)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AlexAntiHeroine
Because 99% of towns have a high street or shopping complex, and it's nice when somewhere is a bit different? Because some people don't want a high street that looks like any other in the country and has the same few huge chain stores and nothing else?

All the other places have that layout BECAUSE IT IS BETTER.
Seriously, when the **** did different = better? I know, lets have a uni that teaches how to molest kids. It's different so by your logic it makes the uni better right? :rolleyes:
University of York
York
Original post by Jimbo1234
All the other places have that layout BECAUSE IT IS BETTER.
Seriously, when the **** did different = better? I know, lets have a uni that teaches how to molest kids. It's different so by your logic it makes the uni better right? :rolleyes:

I wasn't saying that York is objectively better. I was saying that some people (like me) may prefer the layout and type of shops in York to the layout/shops in other places. If you do prefer York as a city, then go to York. If you don't, then...don't.
Original post by AlexAntiHeroine
I wasn't saying that York is objectively better. I was saying that some people (like me) may prefer the layout and type of shops in York to the layout/shops in other places. If you do prefer York as a city, then go to York. If you don't, then...don't.

Well of course some people will like it as some people will like anything, but sadly you are in the minority and should really have pointed this out :rolleyes:.
Reply 23
There are big retail parks (Monks Cross and Clifton Moor) and fairly wide "main" streets - Coney Street and Parliament Street...
Well of course some people will like it as some people will like anything, but sadly you are in the minority and should really have pointed this out :rolleyes:.

This thread is for people who love York so what exactly are you doing here raining on their parade and trying to put it down? :hmmm: To each their own and you've made your opinion quite clear- no need to keep driving your point home.
Reply 25
Original post by EcstaticMuse

Original post by EcstaticMuse
This thread is for people who love York so what exactly are you doing here raining on their parade and trying to put it down? :hmmm: To each their own and you've made your opinion quite clear- no need to keep driving your point home.

Thank you very much...
Actually the post is asking how do people feel about York, otherwise why would the OP make this post if they knew the answer?

I am being honest about this crappy little town unlike many other people. When I came here everyone spouted off the same bull**** which you people are doing and basically lied about York. Myself and many other people are some what pissed off at being lied to and ending up in some ****ty little inbred town so I think it is about time someone speaks the truth rather then warping reality.

And I suppose that's why you should visit a city before you choose to spend 3+ years of your life there. It's also why it's a bad idea to expect a small historical city to have the same shops and facilities as a larger and more modern city.

What I don't get is why you didn't drop out or move to another university after realising you were in a "****ty little inbred town" instead of sticking around to complain about it and devalue everyone else's opinion on York just because you're bitter about ending up somewhere you very obviously didn't research properly.

When talking about this kind of thing, the "truth" is entirely subjective. York may be perfect for some people. It is undeniably true that London has more shops/a more lively nightlife than York, but that does not mean that it's for everyone/
Reply 27
Got fed up of the nightlife after my first term. However, it does have a good range of nice little pubs
But I really love the city and how there are little shops (:
I also love the campus in the summer when the sun shines, it even looks great after snow!
well i live in york, and love the place :smile:
it has its limitations, but its beautiful, and on the whole pretty friendly.
Quite frankly if you find york difficult to get around, then a big city would properly stump you, considering york is tiny.
Original post by Aydn9
Thank you very much...

:yep:
Reply 30
How are dozens of small winding streets better then one or two large open high streets or a large shopping complex?! :confused:
I think you have no idea what you are on about sorry.

Have you ever actually been to Parliament Street or Coney Street? You don't need streets any wider than that. And the side streets are useful as shortcuts, you don't have to do your shopping on them.

I think I have more idea what I'm on about than someone who seems to think every positive comment about York is a conspiracy theory to hide the "truth" about how crap it is. :rolleyes:

"Mound of filth"? You really have no clue....
Original post by xkatieloux
Have you ever actually been to Parliament Street or Coney Street? You don't need streets any wider than that. And the side streets are useful as shortcuts, you don't have to do your shopping on them.

I think I have more idea what I'm on about than someone who seems to think every positive comment about York is a conspiracy theory to hide the "truth" about how crap it is. :rolleyes:

"Mound of filth"? You really have no clue....

You really can't argue against what I said when google maps is only a few clicks away.....:biggrin:

Go to somewhere which has actually invested into its shopping area within the last few hundred years and they are far nicer as well as historical eg. Newcastle, or they can just be better eg. Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds etc.

York is great for a day out, but a pain in the ass for living.
Reply 32
I wonder if you have some kind of weird personal problem?
Original post by revelator
I wonder if you have some kind of weird personal problem?

I lol'd :biggrin:
Reply 34
You really can't argue against what I said when google maps is only a few clicks away.....:biggrin:

Go to somewhere which has actually invested into its shopping area within the last few hundred years and they are far nicer as well as historical eg. Newcastle, or they can just be better eg. Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds etc.

York is great for a day out, but a pain in the ass for living.

I've been to all those places - none of which are nicer than York in my opinion. And yet when I walk down Parliament Street, I inexplicably manage to do it without bumping my shoulders from pillar to post :rolleyes:

Seriously, how wide are the streets where you live? Do you not wonder why no one takes you seriously when you complain a perfectly wide and functional high street is inadequate?

Oh, and you didn't actually answer my question - have you ever BEEN to any of these streets? Or do you just sit in your room all day sulking about living somewhere which is apparently worse than the seventh circle of Hell?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by xkatieloux
I've been to all those places - none of which are nicer than York in my opinion. And yet when I walk down Parliament Street, I inexplicably manage to do it without bumping my shoulders from pillar to post :rolleyes:

Seriously, how wide are the streets where you live? Do you not wonder why no one takes you seriously when you complain a perfectly wide and functional high street is inadequate?

Oh, and you didn't actually answer my question - have you ever BEEN to any of these streets? Or do you just sit in your room all day sulking about living somewhere which is apparently worse than the seventh circle of Hell?

Oh yes, I forgot how long Parliament street is and how so many shops are on it rather then a few cafes, banks, and one or two shops.......oh wait.:rolleyes:
As for the other places, of course I have been there. It would be stupid to try to comment when I have not. :redface:
Reply 36
Jimbo's argument is now that York's rubbish because the streets aren't wide enough...

It's probably best to just ignore him and not let him troll and derail every thread about people's opinions on York!
Original post by laser
Jimbo's argument is now that York's rubbish because the streets aren't wide enough...

It's probably best to just ignore him and not let him troll and derail every thread about people's opinions on York!

Agreed.
Maybe if he spent a little less time trolling in the York forums, and some more time actually in York, he might grow to appreciate it...
Reply 38
This is probably the funniest thread i have ever read, its 5am and i am lmao at the pi*ssed off guy.

I also have an offer from York, so i think its nice to get the opinion from both sides.
Reply 39
I love being in York. The campus is nice, not too overwhelming, and the teaching quality is superb.

As for the city centre, it is certainly unconventional, and it's easy to get a bit lost if you don't know where you're going (something I've done several times), but I enjoyed exploring the city centre searching for places. I think the narrow streets are a nice touch, although the centre certainly does have a couple of larger streets. You'll never run out of places to drink either. York is packed with pubs of all shapes, sizes and atmospheres, there's a place for everyone. If you're a walker like me, the main campus is a 20 minute walk from town, not a huge distance. There are also regular buses if you're not.

Quick Reply

Latest