The Student Room Group

Positions of Responsibility

What is meant by this, on app form it is asking for these in School/H.E/Elsewhere.

I know I don't have any from School or H.E.

But I don't want to be repeating stuff from the Work Experience section here? I have mentioned a couple of things from my work experience which have not been covered previously in the app.
Reply 1
Original post by Steph90
What is meant by this, on app form it is asking for these in School/H.E/Elsewhere.

I know I don't have any from School or H.E.

But I don't want to be repeating stuff from the Work Experience section here? I have mentioned a couple of things from my work experience which have not been covered previously in the app.

Head girl, captain of the hockey team, elected member of the charities committe at the top end to some organisational role of some sort on the bottom
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
It's things like positions on committees of societies, organising events, perhaps any foreign travel projects you've worked on (i.e. not general travelling but one where you acted as a teacher, conservationist, etc).

Do not repeat your work experience.

If you don't have ANY of these I'd suggest you get some. I say this because interviews are often heavily competency-based, so you will be asked a lot of questions which relate to these positions of responsibility. It might be a struggle to answer these questions, and indeed secure an interview, without any positions of responsibility at all. These are basic tick-box requirements for law firms when deciding which applicants to interview, so a lack of them may set alarm bells ringing with recruiters.
Reply 3
Would volunteering at the CAB count as a position of responsibility? Because it involves a hell of a lot more responsibility than head of the football team but yet it doesn't seem to be what they want.
Reply 4
Original post by tony_ron

It's things like positions on committees of societies, organising events, perhaps any foreign travel projects you've worked on (i.e. not general travelling but one where you acted as a teacher, conservationist, etc).

If you don't have ANY of these I'd suggest you get some. I say this because interviews are often heavily competency-based, so you will be asked a lot of questions which relate to these positions of responsibility. It might be a struggle to answer these questions, and indeed secure an interview, without any positions of responsibility at all. These are basic tick-box requirements for law firms when deciding which applicants to interview, so a lack of them may set alarm bells ringing with recruiters.

I think I find answering competency based questions much easier by relating them to my work life.

Original post by igoms
Would volunteering at the CAB count as a position of responsibility? Because it involves a hell of a lot more responsibility than head of the football team but yet it doesn't seem to be what they want.

I feel the same. But on this app form, its a completely different section, suggesting they want to see stuff other than work experience.

I have lots of hobbies and interests that I can put down, but they're not what I would call positions of responsibility. The only thing I have ever organised outside of work are sporting events between local 5-a-side teams and cricket games now and again.

Throughout my applications I've tried my best not to over inflate the importance of such things. I give the recruiters more credit than that. Its not hard to ring up the local sports centre and make a block booking for a few hours so we can use the indoor football facility, make a schedule for the games and then play football. :tongue:

I do mention the above briefly though and state it includes negotiating a good price since: a) we're booking a huge block of time; and b) we're students and we're poor. lol
Reply 5
Original post by FMQ
Head girl, captain of the hockey team, elected member of the charities committe at the top end to some organisational role of some sort on the bottom

Original post by igoms

jacketpotato

Just quoted you all in, to see what you have to say about 'Particular Achievements' section as well, I don't think it warranted creating a new thread.

I really don't know what to put here. Can I relate it to my work life? My school grades/A-levels were average, but my GCSE grades were miles ahead of what I was predicted (Ds, Es, Fs etc.).

I've never "achieved" anything substantial from my hobbies or interests. I feel quite stuck on this question. Will I have to resort to personal achievements? (e.g. in relation to fitness etc.) or is that what a lot of people put here?

I once recieved a postcard home when I was 13 saying I got the highest score on a test in the class, does that count? :tongue: (j/k)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Steph90
Just quoted you all in, to see what you have to say about 'Particular Achievements' section as well, I don't think it warranted creating a new thread.

I really don't know what to put here. Can I relate it to my work life? My school grades/A-levels were average, but my GCSE grades were miles ahead of what I was predicted (Ds, Es, Fs etc.).

I've never "achieved" anything substantial from my hobbies or interests. I feel quite stuck on this question. Will I have to resort to personal achievements? (e.g. in relation to fitness etc.) or is that what a lot of people put here?

I once recieved a postcard home when I was 13 saying I got the highest score on a test in the class, does that count? :tongue: (j/k)

They usually don't look for academic achievement in this particular question. They're looking for something which demonstrates a drive to succeed against the odds, and a practical approach to reaching your goals successfully. This could be anything from running a marathon, to difficult but ultimately successful travel experiences, to organising a wedding or civil partnership, to helping to set up a community centre for three-legged people in a remote Mongolian village.

Personal experiences can be acceptable provided they are fairly considerable(-ish).

Out of interest, which type of firms are you looking at? Eg. Large city firms, medium city firms, West End, regional, high street?
Reply 7

They usually don't look for academic achievement in this particular question. They're looking for something which demonstrates a drive to succeed against the odds, and a practical approach to reaching your goals successfully. This could be anything from running a marathon, to difficult but ultimately successful travel experiences, to organising a wedding or civil partnership, to helping to set up a community centre for three-legged people in a remote Mongolian village.

Personal experiences can be acceptable provided they are fairly considerable(-ish).

Out of interest, which type of firms are you looking at? Eg. Large city firms, medium city firms, West End, regional, high street?

Thanks for your response, but I managed to remember some good stuff to put for this (helped a few local campaigns in the last couple of years - it just didn't cross my mind!)

Anyway, I am looking to apply to medium sized/regional firms mostly. Or atleast thats where I feel I have a realistic chance. My CV won't compare academically with graduates from Oxbridge/Other good Unis. I think I have other experiences that may benefit me though.

However, I'm pretty sure I could give them a run for their money as a trainee/solicitor, I have to be realistic with my applications. They take a fair amount of time, no point wasting it applying for large city firms - even though I would love to work there.

What about yourself? are you currently applying? already training/qualified?
Reply 8
Original post by Steph90
Thanks for your response, but I managed to remember some good stuff to put for this (helped a few local campaigns in the last couple of years - it just didn't cross my mind!)

Anyway, I am looking to apply to medium sized/regional firms mostly. Or atleast thats where I feel I have a realistic chance. My CV won't compare academically with graduates from Oxbridge/Other good Unis. I think I have other experiences that may benefit me though.

However, I'm pretty sure I could give them a run for their money as a trainee/solicitor, I have to be realistic with my applications. They take a fair amount of time, no point wasting it applying for large city firms - even though I would love to work there.

What about yourself? are you currently applying? already training/qualified?

I am starting my GDL conversion this coming September but secured some training contract offers back in March/April 2010. I also did about 5 vacation schemes. When I was applying I was aiming mostly at the large international firms.

However, I see my future as probably being in Cardiff, Bristol, Birmingham, or Oxford eventually, but that's a long way down the line. Will be spending at least 3 years in London - possibly more!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9

I am starting my GDL conversion this coming September but secured some training contract offers back in March/April 2010. I also did about 5 vacation schemes. When I was applying I was aiming mostly at the large international firms.

However, I see my future as probably being in Cardiff, Bristol, Birmingham, or Oxford eventually, but that's a long way down the line. Will be spending at least 3 years in London - possibly more!

Well done on securing the TCs - not easy. Good luck by the way.
I Agree
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Schott

how can you act as a conservationist in a foriegn travel project?

Quick Reply