The Student Room Group

Rowing Chat

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dave_Beeston

I wouldn't bother doing them everyday on a different erg. Just go running for half an hour or cycling for an hour. Use the C2's whenever you can at school.
Original post by Jessaay!
Help? :cry:

If shes catching 8 crabs an outing then shes definitely being a bit of a ******* with her technique. Is it possible to get the coach in the launch to film her? maybe shes oversquaring on the recovery or something like this:

edit: also i think I might be doing the same head race as you on saturday :smile:
Original post by partoftheweekend
If shes catching 8 crabs an outing then shes definitely being a bit of a ******* with her technique. Is it possible to get the coach in the launch to film her? maybe shes oversquaring on the recovery or something like this:

edit: also i think I might be doing the same head race as you on saturday :smile:

I think she probably is oversquaring, but she refuses to believe it. Also, our coach has ****ed off somewhere.

Ooooh cool! It should be a bit of fun. Look out for the talentless boat with the girl catching crabs and the girl at 3 probably breaking down and screaming at her from behind :p:

PS. I definitely feel old :p: I remember the release of the N64. Joyous occasion.

Well, I remember the release of the N64! My brother got one for his birthday the year it came out :P
All is well, she only caught 2 crabs today and pulled them back quicker than usual. Still not going to be happy if that happens in the race :p:

any pointers for stiff hands/arms on a long piece? I have hyperextensive elbow joints (it's quite freaky actually) and I don't think this helps in muscle/joint pain during a race. Eventually it got to the point that was more painful than the actual exhaustion from the piece. I heard something about salt something stops lactic acid somehting but I don't remember what was being said.
Reply 805

All is well, she only caught 2 crabs today and pulled them back quicker than usual. Still not going to be happy if that happens in the race :p:

any pointers for stiff hands/arms on a long piece? I have hyperextensive elbow joints (it's quite freaky actually) and I don't think this helps in muscle/joint pain during a race. Eventually it got to the point that was more painful than the actual exhaustion from the piece. I heard something about salt something stops lactic acid somehting but I don't remember what was being said.

Bicarbonate by any chance?

It should buffer the acid. I can't imagine it helping much though.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 806

Yeah, bicarbonate is supposed to help but I really don't advise that you try it. You have to get the quantities exactly right, otherwise it'll have a very undesirable effect and you'll be sat on the loo for hours instead of racing...
Reply 807
BEDFORD STAR CLUB all the way baby!!!!!!!!!! lol
Original post by the rower
BEDFORD STAR CLUB all the way baby!!!!!!!!!! lol

Who? :smile:
Not looking forward to rowing on Monday! We've had half term, so i've not been on the water since last Friday. I've done ergo's all week, and I biked 10 miles yesterday, so i've been trying to keep my fitness up. But not looking forward to a whole new shredding of my hands :P My calluses just peel off, anyone got tips as to how I can keep them?
Reply 810
Not looking forward to rowing on Monday! We've had half term, so i've not been on the water since last Friday. I've done ergo's all week, and I biked 10 miles yesterday, so i've been trying to keep my fitness up. But not looking forward to a whole new shredding of my hands :P My calluses just peel off, anyone got tips as to how I can keep them?

maybe white spirit? it toughens the skin, and a harpist friend of mine always used to use it so she could avoid the blister stage.....
Reply 811

Just man up and deal with the pain? :wink:
Original post by dobbs
Just man up and deal with the pain? :wink:

Oh I can deal with the pain. It's just it'd be easier to not have to shred my hands and just keep the calluses :P I never used anything to help my hands whilst getting my calluses for the first time, so I can deal with it :wink:
we had a novice cox today..... only went into the bank 4 times.... was not fun
Original post by victoria13
we had a novice cox today..... only went into the bank 4 times.... was not fun

I have a real love/hate relationship with coxes. Its strange how they're not rowing yet they can still make the most difference to how an outing goes.
Reply 815
Original post by partoftheweekend
I have a real love/hate relationship with coxes. Its strange how they're not rowing yet they can still make the most difference to how an outing goes.

They are just like the jockey in horse racing. They don't really do the hard physical work but without them the horse (or boat) would most likely not make it to the finish line in one piece haha.

I've been both a cox and a rower, and it helps a lot with my coxing. I coxed at Bristol the other week and they knew I was a rower so I think they were a little wary that I'd not done much before so when I went for a really narrow arch of a bridge my stroke man just looked at me in sheer terror (we were doing a piece). Got through nicely and he was like "very nice!" haha and afterwards they complimented the fact that my calls and steering were so good :wink:

But still, I always prefer rowing :biggrin:
Original post by dobbs
They are just like the jockey in horse racing. They don't really do the hard physical work but without them the horse (or boat) would most likely not make it to the finish line in one piece haha.

I've been both a cox and a rower, and it helps a lot with my coxing. I coxed at Bristol the other week and they knew I was a rower so I think they were a little wary that I'd not done much before so when I went for a really narrow arch of a bridge my stroke man just looked at me in sheer terror (we were doing a piece). Got through nicely and he was like "very nice!" haha and afterwards they complimented the fact that my calls and steering were so good :wink:

But still, I always prefer rowing :biggrin:

I would love to try coxing, but alas I am rather too tall/big to cox... you should have seen this girl try and get us through elvet bridge... nearly capsized!
Reply 817
Any juniors here? I'm from Thames RC :biggrin:
Original post by Woffles

Well I'm J18 and I row for my school.
Original post by Woffles

I'm J18 also, and row for my school :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest