The Student Room Group

Rowing Chat

Scroll to see replies

Reply 820
Original post by jonnyboy1993
Well I'm J18 and I row for my school.

Original post by Dave_Beeston
I'm J18 also, and row for my school :smile:

Sweeeet, what schools do you guys row for? Schools head coming up soon :biggrin:
Original post by Woffles
Sweeeet, what schools do you guys row for? Schools head coming up soon :biggrin:

I'm from Tiffin, apart from a possible quad we're not going to be at Schools Head, we've not been doing any sweep this year :frown:
Original post by Woffles

I'm at Shrewsbury School :smile: I've only just started this September, so i'll probably be in the 3rd VIII for School's. We've had a fair bit of injury recently, so unless I can prove in the next 2 weeks, I doubt i'll be in the 2nd VIII.

Our 1st is looking good, could possibly win imo. It's the strongest crew we've ever had, and we've beaten Eton before apparently. 2nds are getting there, but due to illness people have been swapped in and out sooooo many times.

But yeh, we'll be there :wink: How about yourself?
Reply 823
Original post by jonnyboy1993
I'm from Tiffin, apart from a possible quad we're not going to be at Schools Head, we've not been doing any sweep this year :frown:

Aw koool, I'm not doing it either :frown:. Would have been a quad but all our good JM aren't available. Did you go to trials this season? BTW those are some pretty sweet offers in your sig mate!
Reply 824
I'm at Shrewsbury School :smile: I've only just started this September, so i'll probably be in the 3rd VIII for School's. We've had a fair bit of injury recently, so unless I can prove in the next 2 weeks, I doubt i'll be in the 2nd VIII.

Our 1st is looking good, could possibly win imo. It's the strongest crew we've ever had, and we've beaten Eton before apparently. 2nds are getting there, but due to illness people have been swapped in and out sooooo many times.

But yeh, we'll be there :wink: How about yourself?

Yeah i'm at Thames RC, and this would have been a really strong year for us if not for the changes to Fawley :mad: We do tons of sculling and some sweep aswell. Academic crash last year meant I had to ease off the training for a few months this year so i've only started full time (8/9 sessions) quite recently. I've been sculling for about 2 years. Shrewsbury are considered strong contenders for the headship at SHORR, so an upset might be on the way :smile:
Original post by Woffles
Aw koool, I'm not doing it either :frown:. Would have been a quad but all our good JM aren't available. Did you go to trials this season? BTW those are some pretty sweet offers in your sig mate!

Well I'm not in our top quad atm, I took too much time off over summer/for Jan exams so am not exactly in my best form... But fair play to those in it, it would've been close for selection even if I was as fit as last year (though it was nice to get to race in it in November, adding to my pots). I haven't bothered with trials, I'm nowhere near good enough for it to be worthwhile, but a couple of people at our club did, and I'm probably going to be doing a pair with one of them for summer :biggrin: And thanks, I really hope I meet the offers
Original post by Woffles
Yeah i'm at Thames RC, and this would have been a really strong year for us if not for the changes to Fawley :mad: We do tons of sculling and some sweep aswell. Academic crash last year meant I had to ease off the training for a few months this year so i've only started full time (8/9 sessions) quite recently. I've been sculling for about 2 years. Shrewsbury are considered strong contenders for the headship at SHORR, so an upset might be on the way :smile:

Ah right, sculling on your own in a single? or in VIIIs?

I wish I had time to go out in a single, but our training regime is 6 days a week and each session we go out in VIIIs. Yeh not sure how well our 3rd VIII is going to fair at School's, they've been hit worse than everyone! I think we have 6 people? :P We don't even have a full crew yet, so unless we have a full crew by next week I doubt we're going to stand any chance at winning anything hah!
Original post by Woffles

If you go to KCL next year you should hit up UL :smile:
Reply 828
Original post by partoftheweekend
If you go to KCL next year you should hit up UL :smile:

Yeah thats a definite possibility! I've been deciding if I want to stay at Thames or row with UL for a bit of next season. Getting anywhere near the first 8 would be impossible!
Original post by Woffles
Yeah thats a definite possibility! I've been deciding if I want to stay at Thames or row with UL for a bit of next season. Getting anywhere near the first 8 would be impossible!

There are guys in the first 8 who only started rowing once they got to uni so it isn't impossible with a bit of commitment and some talent!
Reply 830
There are guys in the first 8 who only started rowing once they got to uni so it isn't impossible with a bit of commitment and some talent!

Yeah I guess so! There are quite a few GB U23's and ex GB Juniors in the boat this season. Do you row for UL?
Reply 831
Original post by victoria13
I would love to try coxing, but alas I am rather too tall/big to cox... you should have seen this girl try and get us through elvet bridge... nearly capsized!

Haha yes but elvet bridge is a special case, being "Europe's narrowest row-through bridge arch", the fact that if you were to row an 8 through it you'd literally have about an inch clear of the blades each side, if that.

I'm a good cox but even Elvet Bridge is a challenge!

Try being a steersman for a coxless boat through it, now that is a rower's ultimate challenge :wink:
Original post by Woffles
Yeah I guess so! There are quite a few GB U23's and ex GB Juniors in the boat this season. Do you row for UL?

Yeah, the squad is pretty deep this year. Sub 6:20 wouldn't even guarantee you a place in the 2nd boat, but that's the way it has to be nowadays. Anyhow its a fun club to be at, facilities and coaches are decent too.
Yeah, the squad is pretty deep this year. Sub 6:20 wouldn't even guarantee you a place in the 2nd boat, but that's the way it has to be nowadays. Anyhow its a fun club to be at, facilities and coaches are decent too.

Okay, so i've basically got no chance of getting in the Cambridge Goldie boat if that's what UL is like! I've got a LOT of work to do before Uni rowing hah
Okay, so i've basically got no chance of getting in the Cambridge Goldie boat if that's what UL is like! I've got a LOT of work to do before Uni rowing hah

I've got a mate in the Goldie boat who went to junior worlds and he just about made it. Again about 6:15 and you've probably got a decent chance of a look in. Helps being big too.. Also next year will be pretty easy (in comparison) to get in, non-Olympic years like 2013 it'll be verrrry hard.
I now know the pain of lactic acid...

We were doing 500s, and for some reason i've never really felt it on my legs as much as I did today. I got a PB :biggrin: got 1:36.1 which is 3.4 seconds off my previous PB so i'm happy with that hah. We came in off the river because something was absolutely destroying our balance...we had a hole in our boat and a very loose rudder :P so we did 3 more 500s. My times slowly got worse, just because the lactic acid was building up and up to the point where half way through I felt like giving up! But got 1:36.1, 1:40.0, and 1:41.3 (I'm hating myself for the last one!) which is an average of about 1:39 :biggrin: so I knocked off 4 and a bit from my previous average.

So all in all, good session, but my legs...they've only just stopped burning...ow!
Another PB! This was a 20 minute at rating 24. My previous 20minute was a teti-twenty and I got 4920 in that, but got 5040 today! Plus shaved another minute off my 5k time :biggrin:

But so pissed off with myself! I had 16 absolutely solid minutes, kept my rating between 1:55 and 1:57. The guy next to me was starting to feel it, I ended up stopping (bad I know, very very bad) for about 20 seconds. Then all the pain came. I managed to do another minute before stopping again for a futher 20 seconds. After that I finished solidly prior to collapsing on the floor next to my erg, but that 40 seconds would've been another 150-200m meaning I would've had the best score :/ Twas just hard as i've only done one full out 5k/20 minuter and there were only 4 of us, and no music!
Hey, I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the rowing is like at Bristol Uni? I'm at college at the moment and I row at my local club. I intend to have Bristol as my firm for next year, but I'm still undecided as to whether I want to continue to row when I get there.
Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 838
Reply 839
Original post by Supernovae
Hey, I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the rowing is like at Bristol Uni? I'm at college at the moment and I row at my local club. I intend to have Bristol as my firm for next year, but I'm still undecided as to whether I want to continue to row when I get there.
Thanks in advance :smile:

Hey, I'm at Bristol Uni doing a PGCE though I don't row with the uni club as I'm far too busy with teaching and lesson planning and everything else that comes with learning to be a teacher ha!

However I do know a bit about the club as I did some research and spoke to them too. The club is pretty good and I think they're getting a lot better, their head coach is from New Zealand and I've heard some great things about him; last year they got one of their men's crews to the finals of Henley which is a big achievement.

I'm not sure about their womens squad, but I would expect them to be pretty good, perhaps take a look at some results from BUCs and things like that if you're really interested?

Hope that helps a bit :smile:

Also, expect university training to be a big commitment, if it's anything like other universities you'll be training nearly every day of the week! Oh though at Bristol I do know that evenings are ergos/gym sessions and water sessions are only on Sat/Sun morning as the rowing club is about a 30-minute drive east of the city.

Quick Reply

Latest