The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Barça
John O'Shea earns 80k? Jesus Christ :facepalm2:

It's not for his ability (which is underrated) but for the loyalty he has shown to the club (just gets on with it, never complains, etc) and perhaps to send a message to the younger players that if you're loyal...you'll earn as much as JOS. :gah:
Reply 4761
Bendy et al on 50k a week doesn't really surprise me. My manager met Steven Thompson last year when down south. He was on 30k a year at Burnley, and he's only a squad player. Premiership is just silly wages.
Reply 4762
JK.
OP
Original post by R-KAM
Bendy et al on 50k a week doesn't really surprise me. My manager met Steven Thompson last year when down south. He was on 30k a year at Burnley, and he's only a squad player. Premiership is just silly wages.

Claim to fame, right there.
Original post by Mastermind`
It's not for his ability (which is underrated) but for the loyalty he has shown to the club (just gets on with it, never complains, etc) and perhaps to send a message to the younger players that if you're loyal...you'll earn as much as JOS. :gah:
Indeed. It doesn't really matter if people rate him or not the only person that matters is Ferguson who does rate him.
Original post by Overmars
If Bendtner really is on 50k, that needs to be looked at. We're probably generous with Chamakh because it was on a free. Bendtner, Diaby, Denilson, Almunia, Vela, Chamakh, Eboue all should be around 30k or under...if they wanna **** off, it's no biggie. Certain promising players like Gibbs, Ramsey, Wilshere could be paid a bit more than that, but we shouldn't be handing out generous contracts to players who haven't proved themselves. 100k for Nasri sounds absurd -- he has had a good 6 months...big ****in' deal -- he needs to do it for a couple of seasons to get the star status salary of 6 figures a week.

Agreed, not even 6 months either
Reply 4765
Original post by n1r4v
Damn, these figures. How does it feel knowing that they get paid more in a week than the maximum you'll ever get paid in a year?

It annoys me. Not so much in a jealousy way, but more in a 'being expected to pay for their wages' way. Ticket prices are daft. Looking at attendances there's obviously still a market for them atm, but most of the time i'm not willing to be part of that market. I can understand many of the reasons for it if not agree with it. Obviously there are other factors out of the supporter's control driving them up, but still.

What's worse for me is when you see the figures lower league clubs are going out of business on. Fractions of Premier League's players monthly or even weekly wages. These clubs have thousands of fans who have their club snatched away from them. I'd like to see some kind of redistribution of wealth, though wouldn't know how to go about it.
Reply 4766
Original post by Louis.
It annoys me. Not so much in a jealousy way, but more in a 'being expected to pay for their wages' way. Ticket prices are daft. Looking at attendances there's obviously still a market for them atm, but most of the time i'm not willing to be part of that market. I can understand many of the reasons for it if not agree with it. Obviously there are other factors out of the supporter's control driving them up, but still.

What's worse for me is when you see the figures lower league clubs are going out of business on. Fractions of Premier League's players monthly or even weekly wages. These clubs have thousands of fans who have their club snatched away from them. I'd like to see some kind of redistribution of wealth, though wouldn't know how to go about it.

Completely agree. Well almost; because I'm understanding how hard I'm going to have to work and how my pay won't be that great in the future, jealousy is starting to creep in now. I sometimes wonder what PL footballers think about "normal" people; they probably look at people working 9-5 (or more), in jobs they probably hate or at least aren't passionate about, getting paid literally 1/100 of what they get, being insignificant, not living life to the full; they probably wonder how people can live like that and then piss themselves laughing to sleep on their £10,000 golden bed in their penthouse suite next to two models. Pricks.

What a bitter **** I have become. I'd still make time to watch them though.
Unfortunately the club has to pay ridiculous wages to stop people leaving. If we pay players like Nasri less than £100k he'll bugger off to Chelsea or Man City. That's the problem with football these days, there's no loyalty anymore.
As for ticket prices, Arsenal's are ridiculously high. I'm hoping that they're reassessed when we've paid off the stadium debt as I can currently only afford to see one or two games a season.
Reply 4768
Arsenal to lift the Carling Cup tomorrow!!

C'MON ARSENALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good chance to lift some silverware tomorrow. Then take the confidence from that into league and champions league...use it as a springboard...

maybe even make a dvd out of the final tomorrow :wink:
Original post by n1r4v
Completely agree. Well almost; because I'm understanding how hard I'm going to have to work and how my pay won't be that great in the future, jealousy is starting to creep in now. I sometimes wonder what PL footballers think about "normal" people; they probably look at people working 9-5 (or more), in jobs they probably hate or at least aren't passionate about, getting paid literally 1/100 of what they get, being insignificant, not living life to the full; they probably wonder how people can live like that and then piss themselves laughing to sleep on their £10,000 golden bed in their penthouse suite next to two models. Pricks.

What a bitter **** I have become. I'd still make time to watch them though.

Professional footballers, PL footballers at least, operate in a different world - socially and economically. The money in the PL is obscene but tbh, I wouldn't be complaining about it if I was on a big wage at a PL club. But as a football fan and as someone who would like to watch more live football, I'm priced out, simple as, and the prices, much more often than not, do not represent value for money.

I've read Robbie Savage's autobiography recently. Decent enough PL player but he talks about the excesses and his own wages, signing on monies, his range of very expensive cars...and it's obscene really. There will be so many footballers, not even as good as Savage, earning ridiculous sums of money, players that simply cannot justify getting paid so much money when it comes down to their talent/ability...

I'm envious tbh. Such financial security would be awesome. Meh, fml?
strangely pessimistic for the final. Clean sheet please! And no zigic blunders!
Reply 4773
Over the last two seasons, the Gunners are second-worst, behind Wigan, at conceding Premier League goals via counter attacks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thefootballtacticsblog/2011/02/how_birmingham_can_unsettle_ar.html
JET's goal.

(edited 13 years ago)

That's not surprising considering we're the most attack-minded side in the EPL.

I don't believe Birmingham are good enough on the counter-attack though - their players simply don't (in general) have the pace to do so.
We have improved a lot in relation to counter attacks though, and I think that's due to our tactics at corners.

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but whenever the opposition has a corner, we always have 2 players standing on either side of the D, as a result of this, the counter attacks are stopped before they have began.

I'm not sure when we started using this tactic, but its definitely been a couple of months, and its no coincidence that the number of goals we've conceded as a result of the opposition attacking from a corner has fallen.

Kudos for Arsene for using that.
A nice trophy to collect tommorow :smile:
Reply 4778
Original post by badger-man
Unfortunately the club has to pay ridiculous wages to stop people leaving. If we pay players like Nasri less than £100k he'll bugger off to Chelsea or Man City. That's the problem with football these days, there's no loyalty anymore.
As for ticket prices, Arsenal's are ridiculously high. I'm hoping that they're reassessed when we've paid off the stadium debt as I can currently only afford to see one or two games a season.

Arsenal are prudently run - if anything, you don't spend enough to keep up with the competition (trophy drought). Was it £50m profit last tax year? Plus Arsene adds a lot of value via young players. I'm surprised Arsenal fans are so concerned about wages, in light of reality.

The Emirates is a 60,000 modern arena in Central London, with a team that tend to play very attractive football, and regularly compete with the best of them, sort of, so you're bound to have the most expensive ticket prices in the world. Reality bite: prices are set to max. profits.
(edited 13 years ago)
Indeed - the ticket prices are so high partly because of the quality of football on show, and partly because we have the longest waiting list for season tickets of any sports franchise in the world - that's why it's so hard to get tickets - the number of Red/Silver members is insane.

Latest