The Student Room Group

How has mental illness affected your life?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shinytoy
out of interest, do you tell your bf/gf/new person you are dating?

no offense but one of my relatives has psychosis so i know what is mental illness and if i was dating a dude and found he was mental i would dump him instantly. physical stuff i can understand. but what if you are dating a nutter in denial, who secretly plots to kill you out of paranoia? you couold be sleeping next to them and wake up dead because they thought voices were telling you to kill them. i mean look at frank bruno. imagine if he was yur bf and went nuts while you were together. he would kill you easily. i can handle physical illness, but if someoens mind aint right, and it is their mind that makes them who they are and who you wana love, you gotta get rid. sorry

EDIT: oh yeah i have aspergers, but also have been lifelong single and would not want to inflict myself upon anyone. i think nutters should do the same.

Thanks for your insightful, totally not at all prejudiced, crap. I'm sure everyone here's going to read it and hang themselves tomorrow so as not to hurt anyone else because obviously that's all mentally ill people are capable of doing in life. Better lock them all up before they go on a crazy shooting spree. Or we could consider the facts and look at figures which show mentally ill people are more likely to be victims of violence and are more likely to hurt themselves than anyone else but hey, that's not a load of bull**** so where's the fun there.

****ing idiot.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 381

no offense but one of my relatives has psychosis so i know what is mental illness and if i was dating a dude and found he was mental i would dump him instantly. physical stuff i can understand. but what if you are dating a nutter in denial, who secretly plots to kill you out of paranoia? you couold be sleeping next to them and wake up dead because they thought voices were telling you to kill them. i mean look at frank bruno. imagine if he was yur bf and went nuts while you were together. he would kill you easily. i can handle physical illness, but if someoens mind aint right, and it is their mind that makes them who they are and who you wana love, you gotta get rid. sorry

EDIT: oh yeah i have aspergers, but also have been lifelong single and would not want to inflict myself upon anyone. i think nutters should do the same.

Wake up dead. Riiight...

You've said before that you've been in relationships. So which is it?
Original post by Converse
You've said before that you've been in relationships. So which is it?

open relationshipas, not monogamous ones

and none of tehm were with mental people
sorry to bash, but if someoen is freaking out, or has a secret collection of faeces in carrier bags, or needs to keep all rubbish, or keeps going on about 'voices' it is real weird and scary!! especially if they wont get help and think they are normal!
(edited 13 years ago)

sorry to bash, but if someoen is freaking out, or has a secret collection of faeces in carrier bags, or needs to keep all rubbish, or keeps going on about 'voices' it is real weird and scary!! especially if they wont get help and think they are normal!

Wow, you sound like such a kind, insightful person. But it seems like you might have a problem, cos from the sounds of it someone would have to be mentally ill to want to go out with you.

That's not very Christian of you now, is it? My voices can be rather challenging at the best of times but believe it or not, there are people out there who can and are willing to work alongside that :smile:

In most cases, mental illness doesn't need to define or constrain people when it comes to forming meaningful relationships with others. It just requires understanding and patience... as all relationships do anyway :smile:
Reply 386
Original post by eve1293
1. HI!
2. I posted in here a while ago, it's lost somewhere in this thread.
3. Hell no. I broke down in front of my dad when I was younger because I couldn't eat and we were in a restaurant, it was a bad day. At the time all I knew is that I felt scared a lot of the time, I hadn't been to the doctors, so I tried to explain it to him as best I could and he came to the conclusion that I had an eating disorder. Which is not true. He has shouted at me on a few occasions when I have tried to talk to him about it, just because he doesn't understand. I get along really well with both my parents, we're like friends instead really. But my mum just 'gets' me a bit more, she's been through similar. Although that can be annoying. I don't know whether it's just me but I HATE people drawing from their experiences and thinking that they understand completely. It's like "oh yeah I have a phobia of spiders, it's terrible", or saying "I'm so OCD about that" No No No. I feel like screaming when I hear this.
I gave up talking to my dad about stuff like that about a year ago, and my mum only ever talks about it if I mention it; which is pretty good.

On another note, after 2 years I finally received a letter explaining that they are arranging an appointment for me (with someone appropriate this time). Oh then I missed their phone call. Fml haha

Hey!
I know what you mean when you say your mum "gets it", my Mother had depression herself and gets stressed/anxious all the time, so I think she understands why I act in a certain way?
My Dad also shouted at me at first for making the appointment, but now worries when I don't take my tablets or if I forget....talk about confusing me!!

Also, I hate it when people say "I'm SO depressed 'cause I can't get this and that" - it's like WAKE UP! *rant over!!*

EDIT: I've realised that also I used to be ashamed of having depression, but now I don't care what people think. I guess I'm kind of open about it now as I've turned everything around and told myself I can live normally because of the tablets, which are pretty much a God send!!

Also, don't worry, they'll phone you back - it happened to me and the Mental Health nurse when she was trying to get in touch for my MH Assessment! >.<!!
(edited 13 years ago)
My mental illness was brought on by a lying, worthless, sl ut.

I began taking drugs to block it out, I am a very bitter person, don't have any trust for women whatsoever
Haven't posted on here since i first discovered the thread back in December, but since my OCD/depression/anxiety seems remarkibly to have been getting better recently (and also since tonight is one of those nights (which I'm currently getting about once a week - better that every waking moment of my life as it was before Christmas!!!) in which the obsessions and anxiety have chosen to atttack me quite badly) I thought it might be helpful for myself and others just to post something about how things have been going. Recently I've been back on the Sertraline (after foolishly stopping over Christmas) and generally aside from this various little things have happened to help me have faith in myself again (getting back good marks for essays and things like that, forcing myself to take more oppurtunities and generally just being more determined not to listen to the obessive thoughts in my head which I know aren't really me). Soon as I took that leap of confidence to trust myself in being able to get better the bad moments became easier to manage. And while I'm currently having a bad moment I'm pretty sure I'll be able to pull myself out of it and gradually these moments will get less. I think in my case learning not to be driven to despair by the times in which things (both in one's condition and generally in life) do go wrong has been really important. While I'm certainly not advocating (as many of those methods advertised over the internet do) that what I've been doing is the ONLY way for everyone and nothing else will work (still find it hard to believe how those guys manage to completely overlook what harm they could be doing to people with these kinds of conditions who might take that aparrent information to heart), as after all everyone is different, I'm pretty sure just trying your hardest to believe in yourself at all times can really help. As I'm pretty sure a lot of posters have said, just take it one step at a time, and of course I think it does help to find someone to confide in. While I don't think I've experienced the complete and somewhat-immediate recovery that a previous poster who I commended last time has talked about, I'm actually quite surprised in what a short space of time the recovery has been taking place considering the one and a half years the condition has been really bad. While I certainly don't claim to have it as bad as most of the posters have suggested (it actually made me feel quite bad that I hadn't been able to get myself out of what could relatively be seen as a mild case, which in a way I think helped contribute towards my recovery), this is just me urging everyone to stay strong and really try your darndest to believe in your ability to get better. After all, in the end it's all you can do so you may as well do it.
Original post by converselove
Why did you even quote me in the first place if all you're going to do is argue and call me a liar?

I never said your parents were psychic but you did say that your parents probably understand me more than I do and I was pointing out that they don't know me at all. I know my own thoughts, that is what I was trying to get across.

Besides, this thread is asking 'How has mental illness affected your life?' and I answered that question quite simply. I never started the argument with you, you chose to reply to my post. What exactly was your purpose for that anyway?

And I never said depression would have other affects on me than other people with depression, I simply said that (in other words) that without the FULL facts, which you don't have, you cannot understand. I stand by that point whether you choose to argue about it or not.

Twisting the story again. I never quoted you with the intention of calling you a liar or arguing. If you don't lie - I wont call you a liar.

Again, psychology is all to do with the brain and so any aspects of your depression will be better understood by my parents than you. I'm not saying they know you, I am saying that you are a human, and thus you will experience human depression, which my parents understand. Not claiming they know you.

Well if you look at the question, I think you'll find out the purpose of my choosing to quote you.

The 'full facts' that you'd provide the psychologist. At this point the psychologist will understand how/why/the severity of your depression alot more than you. If you try to dispute that fact then you are idiotic beyond explanation. I mean, if a psychologist couldn't understand your condition better than you, he'd be a ****ty psychologist, and you'd be better off handling it yourself. And how do you handle it? You self-harm. Enough said.
please do yourself and everyone else in this thread a favour and take your self-important lecturing and your theoretical parents and **** off.
Reply 391
Original post by littleshambles
please do yourself and everyone else in this thread a favour and take your self-important lecturing and your theoretical parents and **** off.

"You have reached the limit of how many posts you can rate today!"

What's your sig from/about?
I'm depressed right now. Yeah sure many teens say they are but I am and my counsellor knows too. I have no pleasure in anything anymore even my ambitions. I've screwed my life up with the decisions I've made now I'm suffering the consequences. I'm tired of living and want to die but I won't kill myself because that's selfish.

How did I screw life up? Because I decided when I was young that being different would be great. I am myself but I have few friends. Plus it's just me to think about life the way I do. Few people think like I do unless they're depressed like "why do people do this"? "What's the point in this"? I'm sick of it but this depression doesn't seem likely.
I'm supposed to be having some sort of counselling which was arranged by the first GP I saw, but I'm not sure I want to go. My problem isn't depression or past trauma, it's a form of anxiety. Still, suppose I'd better sort out an appointment because they might be able to help with that...
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
This, this, this! Particularly the last bit where when I'm not feeling really up or down, it feels like I was exaggerating at the time, or that they couldn't have been that bad, surely? When I feel normal (like now, hope it lasts!) I feel like I'm being daft about my moods, but when I'm in one (particularly low) it gets too much.

That's how I'm feeling. I'm mostly very low but when I'm active I move to being bipolar and a little happy but this is a face because I'm not. I was emailing my counsellor and was feeling like dirt and I was fidgety and restless and tearful, angry, sad - just plain crummy and I went to email her and for that brief moment I was rational and could really tell how I felt.
Original post by Liquidus Zeromus
I'm supposed to be having some sort of counselling which was arranged by the first GP I saw, but I'm not sure I want to go. My problem isn't depression or past trauma, it's a form of anxiety. Still, suppose I'd better sort out an appointment because they might be able to help with that...

Your anxiety may well stem from something that you could explore further in counselling. It's worth trying a session :smile:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Your anxiety may well stem from something that you could explore further in counselling. It's worth trying a session :smile:

At the same time I've had a bad experience with the counsellor at my old sixth form. She was patronising, rude, condescending, told me how I should dress and how I should think. Makes me uncertain about counsellors in general.
(edited 13 years ago)
At the same time I've had a bad experience with the college counsellor. She was patronising, rude, condescending, told me how I should dress and how I should think.

Well obviously it's your decision but it's worth bearing in mind that different counsellors have different training and different approaches, so this time round it might be more helpful. You'll never know unless you try :smile:

The psychiatrist I saw in Oxford was awful: looking back, he's really lucky I didn't punch him :biggrin: My psychiatrist here in London is very different: much more open-minded and concerned, even if he has no idea what he's doing with me! :biggrin:
At the same time I've had a bad experience with the counsellor at my old sixth form. She was patronising, rude, condescending, told me how I should dress and how I should think. Makes me uncertain about counsellors in general.

Counselling is great. You can open up. Though I keep wanting to hang onto this dark emotions and I don't know why. I don't want to open up; I want this darkness to corrupt me and I don't know why...
Original post by Anonymous
I've suffered from pretty severe OCD for five years now; it crushed myself confidence and made me a pretty messed up individual.

Only now am I kind of coming to terms with the fact that I really do need help (taken long enough)..and I'm so tired of having to pretend everything's okay- I daren't moan about it incase I annoy people.

My parents still don't know but I hate to admit I can't help but feel ashamed and embarassed even though I know I shouldn't.

Anyway, I'm interested in how people handle it whether it's yourself or someone you know.

I think that there should be more of an emphasis on recognising mental illnesses because in my experience nobody really talks about them because they're kind of invisible if you get what I mean and my parents have often just labelled me as a 'hormonal' teenager :/

Hey
I hear you, totally agree with what you say about there being little emphasis on recognising mental illness. The whole taboo thing doesn't help people speak up about it, it does make you feel an oddity, or judged. While I don't suffer from OCD, I've lived with other mental illnesses for 9 years & it's taken me most of those to realise it needs sorting & there is a way out. So I know how you feel when you say you're ashamed/embarassed, but trust me there is nothing to be embarassed about, you are not alone & it is not something you should have to feel shame about, it's a reaction not a characteristic of you. For years I didn't do anything about mine because it served as a sort of block for things I didn't want to think about, a coping mechanism; in that way these behaviours that characterise mental illnesses can seem attractive at the time in a way because it seems better than just sitting & thinking. But remember, if you can't imagine coping without it or being happy again right now, that's just because you haven't experienced being free & happy without being plagued by it for a while, so it's just not in your imagination. You can get rid of this with the right mindset & good support. Being honest can be stressful, as people can react negatively or not be as supportive, but SOMEONE will support you & you need & deserve that support, to free yourself for the rest of your life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending