The Student Room Group

Official Dissertation Thread - 2010-11

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
if you already thinking of doing your title page then your practically finished...most of us ....(well me) anyway has just made it half way loool and even then all the tests and other essays deadline coming up...i've had to stop working on my dissertation for a while :frown:.....its all just too much
Reply 181
What sort of data is better?

Cross sectional Data or Time series Data
Reply 182
Original post by Anniee1
What sort of data is better?

Cross sectional Data or Time series Data

i don't think any is better than the other have you thought of using panel data.....i'm currently gunna panel data because its readily available lol
Reply 183
has anybody written an essay about their disseration topic and than used it for their literture review? we had to write an essay for one of our modules about out disseration i really focused on it..am I allowed to use it for my literature review?
Reply 184
Original post by jus-mi
i don't think any is better than the other have you thought of using panel data.....i'm currently gunna panel data because its readily available lol

what is panel data?
Isn't it the combination of both cross-sec and time series?
Reply 185
Original post by G_S
has anybody written an essay about their disseration topic and than used it for their literture review? we had to write an essay for one of our modules about out disseration i really focused on it..am I allowed to use it for my literature review?

Could do however literature review is more so about the comparisons :smile:
Reply 186
Original post by Anniee1
Could do however literature review is more so about the comparisons :smile:

Hi Anniee thanks for that! I have done that in my essay... o gosh everything is getting confusing :redface:
Original post by Anniee1
How are you guys having your first page?
Title
Picture or Name or uni?
student number
Submission Date?

Is it good to have acknowledgements?

Also what FONT are you all using?

Your uni/department should tell you what they want on the front page, but in many cases they request that you don't write your name anywhere on the dissertation itself, just an id number of some sort.

And for mine I just used 12pt Times New Roman, pretty standard! And 10pt for footnotes, I only did this at the last minute and realised it was so much better that way lol.
Hi,
Since we are on the subject of dissertations... I need some data for my dissertation and I was hoping you might want to participate- it takes six minutes to complete and will be really helpful for me if you do AND it's really interesting. Go on, you know it's good karma!
Follow this link:
http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/478137/ba08a5d3de44
Thanks so much! Let me know when you're done and also if you want to discuss it!
Nick
Any Scientists (Biochemists) around here? I am struggling with my chosen dissertation topic. Is the style of 2nd year dissertation of a review on your chosen topic or somewhat in the style of a thesis? There are alot of review articles based on my chosen topic and i am not sure how i can focus mine specifically to not make it seem like i have basically copied and pasted all the information :frown: (Its on physical and chemical principles in function of a protein)
Thank you.
Original post by memenme_1
Any Scientists (Biochemists) around here? I am struggling with my chosen dissertation topic. Is the style of 2nd year dissertation of a review on your chosen topic or somewhat in the style of a thesis? There are alot of review articles based on my chosen topic and i am not sure how i can focus mine specifically to not make it seem like i have basically copied and pasted all the information :frown: (Its on physical and chemical principles in function of a protein)
Thank you.

Hi I'm a Biology student not a a Biochemistry but like you I'm also struggling to find a dissertation as well, we have until 1st April to have a proposal done and a lit review completed as well ready.

I think it can be based on a previous experiment or be done on something new. I think it has be done in a report style. I think you need to be careful on the plagerism, why not speak to module leader or to supervisor

Original post by nickfromtvu
Hi,
Since we are on the subject of dissertations... I need some data for my dissertation and I was hoping you might want to participate- it takes six minutes to complete and will be really helpful for me if you do AND it's really interesting. Go on, you know it's good karma!
Follow this link:
Thanks so much! Let me know when you're done and also if you want to discuss it!
Nick

Done it for you
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 191
Original post by nickfromtvu
Hi,
Follow this link:
Nick

Done. :smile:

I'm doing a Final Year Project rather than a 'Dissertation' as such, but I'm still hating it! I think I've done the Introduction section for it now, but we're onto analysing data and I hate SPSS so much right now!
Original post by Liv1204
Done. :smile:

I'm doing a Final Year Project rather than a 'Dissertation' as such, but I'm still hating it! I think I've done the Introduction section for it now, but we're onto analysing data and I hate SPSS so much right now!

I feel your pain I hate SPSS as well espicially on Ttest and two way annovas!
Reply 193
haha i took one module that made us use spss ...urghhhh i hated it too so i changed ma module....stata is the best for me...i even have problems using pc give...
>.< I've finally found a source of images which I really need to use in my dissertarion - I've been really struggling to find examples for my work, and I've finally found some in the RIBA photo archive...but apparently they cost £20 per photo to buy =/ I need about 10-15 of them...Don't know what to do =[
Reply 195
Original post by fredscarecrow
>.< I've finally found a source of images which I really need to use in my dissertarion - I've been really struggling to find examples for my work, and I've finally found some in the RIBA photo archive...but apparently they cost £20 per photo to buy =/ I need about 10-15 of them...Don't know what to do =[

did you know that your department has a budget for dissertation students....you need to ask them about it...because apparently one of my friend needed a book or something but wasn't in none of the libraries in the UK so the department bought it online from the US...although she doesn't keep it...but yeah...they might say no but theres no harm in asking.
Original post by jus-mi
did you know that your department has a budget for dissertation students....you need to ask them about it...because apparently one of my friend needed a book or something but wasn't in none of the libraries in the UK so the department bought it online from the US...although she doesn't keep it...but yeah...they might say no but theres no harm in asking.

Ooh, I didn't know that. I know my bio-med housemate gets a £300 budget for her final year project and was a bit peeved off. I definitely ask my tutor then. Even if it's just one or two of the pics it's better than nothing.
Original post by memenme_1
Thank you.

you get to pick a whole topic, we was only allowed to pick a area, thats for everything from biomed, biochem, bio all that

so it was pretty pretty for me with my supervisor this is my research area so we will do this

tyrosyl radical :yy:

the write up is kicking in big time now, i do like how my supervisor is like yeah write abit like 500 words or so, than send it to me to look over it, so far so good, just a pain we have annoying coursework due in soon that is far to much effort to try and understand when this is far more important
(edited 13 years ago)
Currently on 7,350 words. Writing up my third substantive chapter. Still got the conclusion and introduction to do [probably in that order, knowing me].

Just wondering - I know it will differ from place to place - but do you generally get like 10% either way? :smile:
Reply 199
They say to choose a dissertation topic that interests you.

My dirty little secret is that I don't really like what I have been doing in history. I find it tedious to read about it, it bores me and I do minimum reading that I know I can get away with because it's so boring that I really cannot be bothered.

Most of the time when writing essays and that, it takes forever because I always procrastinate and play tetris or something...anything to take my mind of it.

I've survived so far with mostly Bs and a few Cs in the course. But I honestly don't know if I will be able to manage coming up with an independent question etc. like a dissertation topic idea. I am really worried now, we've been asked to come up with some ideas to discuss next week with our tutors and I can't really think of anything.

So my question is: am I utterly ****ed?

Has anyone else done a dissertation on something they found uninteresting/boring and managed to pass with a 2:1 at least?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending