The Student Room Group

IB Uni Applicants 2010/2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by heymanbarca
What did you get on your Bmat Hypocrism?

I can't find my exact results, but this is a ball park:

Aptitude was just about 7, I think it was 7.2 or 7.3
Science was between 6 and 7, I think it was 6.4 or 6.5
And essay was 5A

Original post by sango
Yes they were. I hate the fact that so many people were predicted 7s so easily yet I get 6s in mocks and get predicted 6s. :hmmm:

And these same people, including yourself, were the ones who got into Oxford/Cambridge.

Well, I did get 7s in all my first year mocks except maths (4 :frown: ) and my second year mocks except maths (5 :biggrin: ) so that comment isn't really necessary..
Reply 41
Original post by Hypocrism

Well, I did get 7s in all my first year mocks except maths (4 :frown: ) and my second year mocks except maths (5 :biggrin: ) so that comment isn't really necessary..

Well fair enough but a certain future-Oxford medic did poorly in his first year mocks but was predicted-stellar grades... There just seemed to have been some glearing inconsistencies, I got 766, 764(Biology :rolleyes: ) in my first year mocks and got predicted 766, 765.
(edited 13 years ago)

And essay was 5A

Aren´t you supposed to get your predictions, in the first year of IB?, plus if you got a 4 in math how were you predicted a 7? ;D
University: Cardiff/Exeter/Birmingham
Course: Biology
Date Application sent: December sometime
Decision: conditional
IB Points Prediction: 37.
Offer conditions (in IB points): 34/34/32 respectively
Higher Level Subjects: Bio, Chem, History.
Reply 44
Aren´t you supposed to get your predictions, in the first year of IB?, plus if you got a 4 in math how were you predicted a 7? ;D

We did get them in the first year, I'm really just trying to make myself feel like my insides aren't being slowly sandpapered by a giant ape right now :redface: by concentrating on the 7s!

My maths teachers said that from past experience, none of their pupils get stellar grades in the 1st year mocks because it's a 2 year process to learn the techniques needed for HL maths, but many get 6s or 7s. Most questions can be done using a "sledgehammer" method that takes three times as long, but in the second year you usually begin to see links between topics to find the short-cut methods. That's why they generally inflate their predicted grades depending more on the work ethic of the student.

And essay was 5A

Ditto hahahaha, 4 in HL Math mocks and a low 5 was the highest in the class lol. The 4 improved considerably this year but I am still not looking forward to the real IB HL Math exam.
Reply 46
Original post by LondonTownGirl
what was your LNAT score?

hahaahah not amazing, i got 21/42
Reply 47
ohhh allright, i get it, your teachers must like you a lot for predicting you 7s in all of your subjects especially maths teachers, but yeah i see where your´e coming from, but did you say many people get 6s or 7s in their second year or what? still undecisive over whether to take math Hl or not;S

That mark only takes into account the core - your option paper should be easy to get the 7 on and push that up. I was given a 6 for my grade because the option paper would push it up.

Nobody except the Japanese genius guy in our class got above a 5 in the core papers mocks - but both my teachers assure us that this is normal for HL maths, and that a person getting a 4 in the mock will achieve a 6, or a 7 with a huge amount of work in the last 3 months.

That mark only takes into account the core - your option paper should be easy to get the 7 on and push that up. I was given a 6 for my grade because the option paper would push it up.

Nobody except the Japanese genius guy in our class got above a 5 in the core papers mocks - but both my teachers assure us that this is normal for HL maths, and that a person getting a 4 in the mock will achieve a 6, or a 7 with a huge amount of work in the last 3 months.

Final question lol, did you get all 7s in homeworks and tests/quizzes for the 7 in predicted grades? or is it solemnly based on your mocks? cause im scared for my predicted grades !!!!
Reply 49
Final question lol, did you get all 7s in homeworks and tests/quizzes for the 7 in predicted grades? or is it solemnly based on your mocks? cause im scared for my predicted grades !!!!

Well I was getting consistent high marks in most subjects (chem/phys) and normally at least 5 / 6 in homeworks, but that is open book of course and not such a good indicator.
Reply 50
University: Aston
Course: Psychology
Date Application sent: Dec 14th
IB Points Prediction: 33
Offer conditions (in IB points): 33
Higher Level Subjects: Chem, Bio, Psych

University: Leicester-First choice :smile:
Offer conditions (in IB points): 32

University: DMU
Offer conditions (in IB points): 30

University: Portsmouth
Offer conditions (in IB points): 32

Well I was getting consistent high marks in most subjects (chem/phys) and normally at least 5 / 6 in homeworks, but that is open book of course and not such a good indicator.

oh alright same i get good on test and quizzes like 6´s and 7´s but not on hw i usually get like 4´s, ;S, just don´t know how much to study, how much do/did you study on like a daily basis? , i study like all the time lol!!!!:smile: btw where else did you apply?(universities) as in the universities?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 52
University: Oxford
Course: French & Linguistics
Date Application sent: 15th October 2010
Decision: Conditional
IB Points Prediction: 38 (I think)
Offer conditions (in IB points): 40 with 7 in French B, and 6 in both English and History
Higher Level Subjects: French B, English and History
Standard Level Subjects: Maths Studies, Physics, Economics

University: Aberystwyth
Course: Romance Languages
Offer conditions (in IB points): 26 with 5 in French B

University: Warwick
Course: French & Italian Studies
Offer conditions (in IB points): 36 with 6 in French B

University: Exeter
Course: French & Italian
Offer conditions (in IB points): 34 with 5 in French B

University: King's College London
Course: French
Offer conditions (in IB points): 34 with 6 in French B

To be honest, 40 points isn't looking likely. Doing my mocks at the moment. Nightmare.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 53
Original post by rohitronaldo
That comes down to the interview much more than predicted grades really....

No one in their right mind would apply to Oxbridge with a predicted total of less than 38.

Apparently Cambridge wasn't considering anybody with an IB prediction of less than 42 out of 45.

what are the grade boundaries for a 7 in your school because it seems as if you´re just strolling past, in my school it´s 85% And above!!
Reply 55
what are the grade boundaries for a 7 in your school because it seems as if you´re just strolling past, in my school it´s 85% And above!!

Sounds about the same for us. Remember in actual IB exams, a 7 in chemistry is just under 80%, maths is about 75%, physics is about 70%
yesyes i do know that, but you also must bear in mind that you are being graded on a scale so you are basically competing against thousands of other Ib students!
Original post by meganeira
Apparently Cambridge wasn't considering anybody with an IB prediction of less than 42 out of 45.

That's either false information or varies from college to college.

My friend was pooled and subsequently accepted. He had a 39 predicted.....but the offer is 40 points.
Reply 58
Original post by rohitronaldo
That's either false information or varies from college to college.

My friend was pooled and subsequently accepted. He had a 39 predicted.....but the offer is 40 points.

Fair enough, that's what I was told that's all. :smile:

Damn. :frown: People offered 40 points from Cambridge?! I thought I was taking the option with the lower offers... anyone applied for Oxford and get offered below 40?

I just find it sickening that A Level students only need 3 As to get into Oxford. Oh well, Aberystwyth it is for me! :smile:
Original post by meganeira
Fair enough, that's what I was told that's all. :smile:

Damn. :frown: People offered 40 points from Cambridge?! I thought I was taking the option with the lower offers... anyone applied for Oxford and get offered below 40?

I just find it sickening that A Level students only need 3 As to get into Oxford. Oh well, Aberystwyth it is for me! :smile:

Oh some of the Cambridge offers are 42 and the most notable one is the Economics guy who got a 45 offer for Peterhouse College.

Haha, my Oxford offer is 39 points :P with a 7 in HL Economics. 1 point hardly makes it easier though lol. Man it would suck to miss offers especially after the long application process.

For me it was: Fill up UCAS and apply --> Take the TSA --> Get called for interview --> Get an offer.
To miss it after that.......ughhh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending