The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Bowyer if you couldn't guess...
Think i have finally finished crying.....
Somebody should send that GIF to the FA or something. Bowyer has always been a cowardly thug and should be banned.
Seething with upset. Seaman, Keown, Adams, Vieira, Parlour, Pires, Henry, Bergkamp.....NONE of those would have bottled that game. The shower on the pitch today dont deserve to wear the same shirt as those. **** on their shoes.
On today's showing, its hard to see if we'll ever win anything anytime soon. The WUM's are right. :frown:
Reply 5064
So has all the WUM's left this thread and is it safe for real fans to reflect on the past and look in the future?
Reply 5065
Original post by Psychotic546

What a ****, no honour at all. Hitting a man when he's down. We need Keown to go sort him out

Original post by Dubstarr
Is this your dad's forum? I'm entitled to comment in here if I want, don't be so bitter just because your team lost.

sorry, but i do believe you've spelled "troll" incorrectly.

By all means comment, as long as it isn't useless and/or moronic behaviour.
I'm absolutely gutted about the loss. I'm in an absolutely terrible mood.

I said I would prefer a win vs Barca to the CC and I stick by that. We should not forget that although the team played poorly today and Koscielny and Sczesny made a costly, glaring error, just a few games ago they played excellently against probably the best team in the world. I will retain my faith.

The problem we have now is that the media has been bigging the CC up as our "springboard" to go on and win bigger trophies all season. There's nothing substantial to reinforce that opinion, it's purely psychological. The team are still perfectly able to win the 3 remaining competitions we are in: don't let the WUMs or the media tell you otherwise. It's absolutely vital that Wenger instils psychological resilience into the team, right now. This could prove to be the match that breaks our season, but we still have the opportunity to bounce back. I believe we can do it. And if we do bounce back, all the psychological damage of today will be undone.
Original post by milkytea
I'm absolutely gutted about the loss. I'm in an absolutely terrible mood.

I said I would prefer a win vs Barca to the CC and I stick by that. We should not forget that although the team played poorly today and Koscielny and Sczesny made a costly, glaring error, just a few games ago they played excellently against probably the best team in the world. I will retain my faith.

The problem we have now is that the media has been bigging the CC up as our "springboard" to go on and win bigger trophies all season. There's nothing substantial to reinforce that opinion, it's purely psychological. The team are still perfectly able to win the 3 remaining competitions we are in: don't let the WUMs or the media tell you otherwise. It's absolutely vital that Wenger instils psychological resilience into the team, right now. This could prove to be the match that breaks our season, but we still have the opportunity to bounce back. I believe we can do it. And if we do bounce back, all the psychological damage of today will be undone.

Agreed. I'd rather lose the CC final with that mistake than do it in the 90th minute vs Barca for a 2-1 loss. It'll be even sweeter if the Gunners go on to win the UCL, no one will remember the CC
Reply 5069
Unlucky today guys. It was a pretty even game tbh, Foster played well but you guys got lucky early on with that wrong offside, very lucky. The standard of refereeing was poor overall. I think anyone claiming Arsenal have lots of strength in depth can be quiet now, despite Nasri being excellent all season, Fabregas is still the main man at Arsenal. Arshavin somehow manages to rack up these assists while still playing awful. RvP did well, but not well enough, though his technique is outstanding.
Original post by Economist
Can you please explain to me how a dross defence don't conceded a legit goal in 600 odd premier league minutes?

They made an error, obviously that makes them awful hopeless players who can't handle the pressure lol, you're pathetic

So all 4 of Newcastle's goals weren't legit, right?
Original post by WhatIsAUsername?
So all 4 of Newcastle's goals weren't legit, right?

To which the reply will be that Djourou wasn't on the pitch at that time, was taken off at half time.
Original post by neillya1
1,000,000% Agreed with this - A sustainable business model is all good an well.... but why turn over a profit and refuse to spend it? We NEED some solid players at the back (and up front, only RVP is decent in my eyes....). Midfield is excellent currently but the rest, not so....

Yeah you definitely need another top-class striker, especially due to how injury prone RvP is. Chamakh, Bendtner, Arshavin and Walcott (to some extent) are just not good enough. I highlighted Walcott because he is terribly prone to missing some ridiculous chances, and often plays ARM rather than up-front.
I hate to disagree with you there mate. Its only upfront where I think we need strenghthening. The centre back is a long gone problem. One mistake is not going to change that. Vida and ferdinand make mistakes, and yet theyre still there and not the subject of a witch hunt. once we get vermaelen there, we are pretty much sorted in terms of cover and competition. All 3 of our first choice are top top class and this has been proven by the statistics. We have been extremely good definsively this year, and that is in no part due to djrousiecly or whatever you say nowadays.

Up front is a different matter. Now that Chamakh looks out of sorts, I think we lack a little bit up front. Bentdner is not mature enough to lead the line. It has taken Van P. almost 6 years to mature into that role, and its going to be no different with Bentdner.

Song also looks jaded. I really think we should have got cover/ competition for that area of the pitch. THis is not a snap reaction etc, I think weve needed cover and competition for song for a while now. This was proven by Wengers chase for Inler and Melo. Song, Melo/ Inler, denilson, wilshere diaby is more than enough for that area of the midfield. Yes, one or two may leave, but football is a dog eat dog sport, and if they arent prepared to slug it out, let them leave.

In comparison to last year I do think we have a helluva lot mental strenghth. Wilshere has become a real leader contrary to what everyone else has said. Its only because hes 19 that hes not mentioned. Koscielny, chesney walcott and song are also extremely mentally tough, and its no surprise that we are doing a lot better in comparison to last year.

All in all, no, we dont need wenger out, but what we do need is some strategic investment, and MAYBE some pruning of the squad, but wholesale changes? not on your underwear
Original post by Ben Butler
Birmingham will won. You heard it here first.

I hate the fact that your right
Original post by PlasticBag
One mistake is not going to change that. Vida and ferdinand make mistakes, and yet theyre still there and not the subject of a witch hunt.

Ferdinand has probably made less mistakes in his entire United career than Kos has in the past 6 months.

At the end of the day you play a system that highlights attacking talent and exposes defensive frailties. Nasri, Fabregas, Van Persie etc wouldn't perform as well in another team but equally Sagna, Kos, Clichey etc would perform a lot better. At some point you Arsenal fans will have to accept this. There is no quick fix like new signings or a new defensive coach.

I would expect this side to smash this defensive league and do relatively poorly in cup competitions. Somehow you've managed to bring a few freak results upon yourself which flatter United. Remains to be seen whether you can recover.

Tl;dr Don't worry, your side is built for the league and should smash it next season. If you want to win cups you'll have to rebuild.
Original post by Psychotic546

It's an ugly game. If you don't like being kicked when you're down, don't go down. If he wants to make it in this league, he'd better get used to ****s doing that. The best way to counter is to become a thug. Do you think Bowyer would've tried that **** on Keown?

Horrible mistake by him today but I think he'll learn from it. He has been indecisive in the past at times without costing us but overall, for a first season in the league, he has shown enough to me to suggest he is a good defender that will get better. He reads the game very well -- the communication and understanding between himself, Djourou and Szczesny needs to be clearer.
Reply 5077
The loss still rankles. Nevertheless, I did laugh at this:

http://www.runofplay.com/2011/02/27/an-unfortunate-mishap/
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Jeppasloth
Ferdinand has probably made less mistakes in his entire United career than Kos has in the past 6 months.

At the end of the day you play a system that highlights attacking talent and exposes defensive frailties. Nasri, Fabregas, Van Persie etc wouldn't perform as well in another team but equally Sagna, Kos, Clichey etc would perform a lot better. At some point you Arsenal fans will have to accept this. There is no quick fix like new signings or a new defensive coach.

I would expect this side to smash this defensive league and do relatively poorly in cup competitions. Somehow you've managed to bring a few freak results upon yourself which flatter United. Remains to be seen whether you can recover.

Tl;dr Don't worry, your side is built for the league and should smash it next season. If you want to win cups you'll have to rebuild.

I have to disagree, I think we've reached almost the perfect balance between attack and defence. obviously minor tweaking remains, but nothing drastic.

I think a better example of all out attack is a team like Blackpool, I reckon we are a bit of a balance between Blackpool and Barcelona. We attack at the pace of Blackpool, but also have a tendency to keep possession to a certain extent in the manner Barca do. Not exactly like Barca, as that style wouldnt really suit the EPL, but we do retain the ball in a slightly similar fashion.

As for defensive frailties, one mistake does not undo months of good defensive performances in the league.

Dont you remember during the past decade, especially at the start of Ferdinands Man U career, he was derided as not having enough concentration, he made a helluva lot of mistakes before he became the player he is today. The same goes for Kos, hes made mistakes, but hes cut out the majority of them, and this is the first one hes made in a while. Obviously hes got a long waay to go before he can reach Ferdinands level, but saying Ferdinand doesnt make mistakes is just a plain lie tbh.

I agree, there is no quick fix, but like i said, minor tweaks to personnel and formation is all we need.
Original post by jit987
is it safe for real fans to reflect on the past and look in the future?

It's always safe. I don't read posts designed to wind people up. After a couple, you know which posters they're coming from. Just ignore -- whether it's using the function or not. If a gooner wants to share his/her views, I, for one, will want to read it and it's not much effort to find them amongst the rubbish.

It's a disappointing loss but as I've always maintained, I never considered this competition important. At the start, we were using it well -- for youngsters to impress, fringe players to stay sharp and for injured players to work up their fitness levels. But since the semi-finals draw, there has been some pressure from fans to take it seriously and so Arsene did. We named the strongest line-up we could today -- in contrast to 4 years ago when Wenger used the "the kids got us here, so they deserve their chance" line.

To lose in the manner that we did made it more frustrating; Birmingham fully deserved their win and didn't really get (or ultimately need) the rub of the green. I guess the disappointment really hit home -- even for fans like myself that were a bit "meh-ish" and more focused on a brilliant game of cricket that was going on -- was seeing how hurt Wilshere was by it all.

I was looking out for the tracking back. Nasri, surprisingly poor. Arshavin, pathetic as he was a month ago. Song was shocking. Rosicky's days in English football are numbered. Just because you beat Barcelona in 90 minutes doesn't automatically mean you're going to cruise past teams like Birmingham or even Leyton Orient. The most frustrating thing is the lack of intensity with the pressing -- it was nowhere near the level it was against Barcelona. Wenger talks about 'tiredness' but we've had 5 days to recover since Stoke and a couple of key players back so I don't think that counts.

I go on about the guy a lot -- because he's ****in' brilliant and a proper gooner --
but we need 11 players that care as much as Jack. Again, today, he never stopped running, gave it everything and was Arsenal's best player (although the competition wasn't tough really, was it?). He deserves teammates that put in the extra effort that he does. I know some fans might say it's only the league cup (although I think I'm in the minority, actually...most really wanted us to win), but try telling that to Wilshere when he was in tears. Local lad playing in his Wembley final -- I'm gutted for him...but I'm sure he'll get plenty more chances.

Looking ahead, I hear Van Persie's picked up another knock from scoring the goal. It's starting to become the same old story; key players getting injured at the crucial time. There's still plenty more to fight for but what shape the squad is in is anyone's guess. Cesc has a massive role to play now as a captain rather than a footballer. He really needs to make sure there will be no hangover and he needs to start dominating league games and driving the team forward. I'd lost faith in Wenger being able to motivate his players a long, long time ago.

Latest