The Student Room Group

Cambridge University Offer Statistics

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zoedotdot
Your best bet is to just apply to a college that you like. It's what I did and I'm very glad that I chose that over trying to build up some statistics to help me choose.

Echoing that and adding to what I said before hand, I think it says a lot that colleges themselves will tell you the statistics game does not work. Whether it's pool-heavy Girton or the higher applicant per places colleges, they will all tell you it does not work and for them to say it and avoid using it as a tactic to reel potential candidates in says an awful lot indeed.
A PPS Admissions Tutor from Trinity told me that recently they'd taken all of their PPS candidates from the pool :eek: (So basically, that's one of the most competitive subjects at one of the most competitive colleges)
But yeh, the bottom line is that the amount of advantage you get from trying to be 'tactical', is (a) not actually significant or a sufficient increase in your chances to merit the effort involved (b) not guaranteed to work, because the competitiveness of a particular college for a particular subject is prone to vary considerably according to the situation that particular year, and (c) likely to end up in your admission to a college you don't actually like, and eventually regret applying to.

Tbh I never really understood why people cared enough to go to so much hassle, nor chose to make the whole application process so much harder than it already is :lolwut:
Reply 42
Original post by TheMeister
I would never have guessed that Jesus had so many applicants :O

As someone at the Admissions Office once said - it's probably because in the off-chance that someone didn't get in, they could claim that they were "rejected by Jesus" :tongue:
Original post by SunderX
As someone at the Admissions Office once said - it's probably because in the off-chance that someone didn't get in, they could claim that they were "rejected by Jesus" :tongue:

I shall start saying that now then :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending