The Student Room Group
Reply 1
same
I'm pretty sure there's no difference, it's just two spellings (possibly originating in different countries...?) that have both come to be acceptable. I usually spell it neurone.
Reply 3
Neurone : A nerve cell through which action potential propagates.
Neuron: A nerve cell which produces an impulse due to relative changes in the electro-chemical gradient of the medium.

See the difference ?

Spoiler

GRRR I am beaten.
Reply 4
Neuron is the American spelling :smile:
Reply 5
There is no spelling difference American/English wise, a neurone is not the same as a neuron.
Original post by Dekota-XS
There is no spelling difference American/English wise, a neurone is not the same as a neuron.

No. They are the same thing. You are silly.
But yeah, they're the same thing. Neurone is a less common alternative spelling and virtually every modern source will use Neuron.
Original post by shorty.loves.angels
I'm pretty sure there's no difference, it's just two spellings (possibly originating in different countries...?) that have both come to be acceptable. I usually spell it neurone.

Original post by Lozzo
Neuron is the American spelling :smile:

Original post by Dekota-XS

Original post by Tolth
But yeah, they're the same thing. Neurone is a less common alternative spelling and virtually every modern source will use Neuron.

Just to clarify, they are both the same thing. It's not a regional difference, or an archaic difference, it's simply alternate forms of the word based (IIRC) on different etymological transliteration.

In short: Both terms mean the same thing, both spellings are fine to use, and it is very common to see them presented either way in scientific literature. For stylistic best practice though, you should really choose one that you prefer and be consistent with the spelling.

I work in neuroscience research, btw.
Reply 9
There are so many different opinions! ARGH!
Original post by PaigeSnow

There are so many different opinions! ARGH!

But only one accepted answer, which is that they're the same thing, the terms are interchangeable and frequently both are used, and that it comes down to personal or editorial choice.
Reply 11
Okay, well thanks for clearing that up! :smile:
Just use neuron.

It's awful hearing people say 'neurone'.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
My biology and psychology teachers do that as well! I'm pretty sure they're the same thing. :smile:
Same thing. I prefer Neuron myself, less letters! :colone:
Isn't it just a nerve cell?
In scientific sources the standard spelling is neuron. The spelling neurone is generally restricted to non-technical contexts, but note that it is usual in motor neurone disease.
Reply 17
I think they are the same but I was confused too! :u:
Reply 18
I don't know if this is just me being stupid, but whats the difference between a neuron and a neurone? My lecturers use it in the same context in biology and psychology, it's well confusing!
Help?
Paige :rolleyes:

Back in my day if you didn't know the difference you would be shot.
Apart from the last three posts, this thread is 6 years old, and the OP has received a good number of replies. I'm going to close it now.

Latest

Trending

Trending